Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 8:08:54 PM EDT
Is marraige just an anachronism from olden times that has no place in modern society or is it the bedrock of society that all else rests on?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is gradually becoming less useful. Nowdays it seems only used by those who want to have kids, and not always in that case.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Bedrock, because it's part of the moral/Biblical values this country is based on.

If you don't believe in/follow the Bible, the only reason for marriage would be legal ones. (Custody, medical insurance, etc.)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bedrock, because it's part of the moral/Biblical values this country is based on.

If you don't believe in/follow the Bible, the only reason for marriage would be legal ones. (Custody, medical insurance, etc.)

Hey I dont believe in the Bible per say, but i fully plan on getting married some day. For me marraige is vital to society because it civilises the male and provides structure for child rearing. To say that marraige is only for religious folks is narrow minded.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I can take it or leave it myself, but I think it's an important institution for raising children.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It is the bedrock in the society that I prefer to live in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been married for just over 8 years now, and they have been, by far, the best years of my life...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Only when it's between one man and one woman.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been married for just over 8 years now, and they have been, by far, the best years of my life...

12 years here.  Life is good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey I dont believe in the Bible per say, but i fully plan on getting married some day. For me marraige is vital to society because it civilises the male and provides structure for child rearing. To say that marraige is only for religious folks is narrow minded.

Agreed, but that's my view. I can be pretty opinionated.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Bedrock, but I believe the Bible is the one true Word of God and THE moral compass for society.

YMMV

Edited to say, I don't even know what that other word means........sulks away to consult the dictionary.......
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:03:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Bedrock.
As this institution has been degraded so has our society, our nation. Doesn't get much more plain and simple than that.

Country needs an enema.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Bedrock.  Marriage is a model for how we should treat our fellow man, with mutual respect and love.  If we can't commit to getting a long one one other person, how can we be expected to get along with the world?  Of course, a healthy marriage is an absolute necessity for raising a child.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#14]
this is an issue on par with debating if fire is hot, water wet, ice cold, etc...   if you are not clear on something as basic as this, I submit that you've suffered a degree of media, liberal culture brainwashing.   Not a flame, just an observation...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#15]
bedrock.  It provides a correct a stable environment for kids when they are raised in a one day, one mom environment...unless one of them cheats, beats their wife/kids, ect.  and when those bad things happen, I think it's safe to say that the parent(s) that did the bad thing aren't really father/mother, just a biological one.

without a good envirnnment for child raising, then the future of this country is not good because they are our future.

chicken
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
bedrock.  It provides a correct a stable environment for kids when they are raised in a one day, one mom environment...unless one of them cheats, beats their wife/kids, ect.  and when those bad things happen, I think it's safe to say that the parent(s) that did the bad thing aren't really father/mother, just a biological one.

without a good envirnnment for child raising, then the future of this country is not good because they are our future.

chicken

+1

Anyone can be a father...it takes a real man to be a DAD...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
this is an issue on par with debating if fire is hot, water wet, ice cold, etc...   if you are not clear on something as basic as this, I submit that you've suffered a degree of media, liberal culture brainwashing.   Not a flame, just an observation...

Very well put.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

WTF, over?

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF, over?

The young guys take their que from older married guys
With out it, savages all

GM
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Its a completely weighted question and your opinion on it may say a lot about your opinion on gay marriage.

It has to be somewhere inbetween.  It isnt the "bedrock", considering the divorce rate nowadays.

And it isn't a sign of the past, something useless and old.

Inbetween.,.. no vote from me.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF, over?

The young guys take their que from older married guys
With out it, savages all

GM

That's makes even less sense than the original post I quoted.

Are you saying that men are too stupid to act civilized without being 'trained' by some surrogate mommy that they're married to?

We're a generation of men raised by women. I'm wondering if another woman is really the answer we need.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#22]
what i meant by it civilizes the male, is that marraige ties the man down so he can raise a family. Without marraige the male will be on his own and do what males do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top