Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2001 7:17:09 AM EDT

http://www.eagleforum.org/column/2001/may01/01-05-30.shtml

United Nations Attack On Gun Ownership

May 30, 2001

The attempt this year to reprise last year's Million Mom March was a dud, attracting only about 200 demonstrators, and the Democrats' political gurus are whining about how Al Gore's pro-gun-control stance cost him votes last year in crucial states. So the anti-gun activists have moved to a less democratic venue: the United Nations.
On July 9 to 20, New York City will host the United Nations Conference on Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects. The purpose of this conference is to demonize the private ownership of guns and get governments to confiscate all privately owned guns.

Don't be misled by the term "small arms." UN documents define small arms as weapons "designed for personal use" (such as your Browning pistol, your Ruger rifle, or your Winchester shotgun), while light weapons are for use by several persons as a crew.

Don't be misled by the term "illicit" trade. UN documents make it clear that, since most illegal guns start out as legal purchases, illicit trade must be stopped by clamping down on legal gun owners.

Don't think that this UN conference is just a talkfest. It is scheduled to produce a legally binding treaty to require governments to mark, number, register, record, license, confiscate, and destroy all guns except those in the hands of the military and the police.

Indeed, the first day of the conference is to be called "Small Arms Destruction Day." The conference's Preparatory Committee (Prep Com) is calling on all governments, with the assistance of the UN's NGOs (Non-Government Organizations) and "civil society" (a fancy name for the NGOs working in tandem), to organize public events to promote the destruction of small arms and light weapons on that day.

The decision on NGO participation, adopted by the Prep Com without a vote, is in line with the growing UN practice of expanding the influence of "relevant" NGOs while bypassing sovereign member states. "Relevant" means only those NGOs that promote the UN agenda.

The 18-page Draft Programme of Action to be presented to the July conference sets forth the rationale plus the mechanisms for eliminating the "wide availability" of guns. It's obvious that the United States is the target because we are the only country with a Second Amendment, and other democracies such as England, Canada and Australia have either banned or severely restricted private gun ownership.

Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Continued....

The Draft Programme wraps its gun-confiscation message in typical UN semantics, but makes little attempt to conceal the mailed fist in the velvet glove. It states: "In order to promote peace, security, stability and sustainable development in the world, we commit ourselves to addressing this problem in a comprehensive, integrated, sustainable, efficient and urgent manner."

Indeed, the plan is comprehensive and integrated. According to the Draft Programme, "Preventing and reducing the illicit trade in small arms and light weapons consists of two sets of measures: the national control of manufacture and the proper marking of small arms and light weapons, coupled with accurate, sustained recordkeeping and exchanges of information."

Government "marking" and recordkeeping is "an integral part" of the process. It's clear that the UN is demanding that governments build a national electronic database of all guns and their owners, and then facilitate "an information exchange" (i.e., share the database with the UN).

Through the Department for Disarmament Affairs, the UN promises to "develop an international mechanism that will facilitate the exchange of information on all aspects" of guns, i.e., a global gun registry.

To wipe out private gun ownership, the UN demands that all governments enforce "adequate laws, regulations and administrative procedures to exercise effective control over the legal manufacture and possession of small arms and light weapons." And the UN demands that governments criminally prosecute all those who don't comply.

The UN plans to develop "model national legislation" so that Congress will pass laws that conform to the treaty's requirements. The UN plans to guide Congress by publishing "best practices" for legislation and procedures.

All unmarked or inadequately marked small arms and light weapons are to be confiscated and "expeditiously destroyed." The government is to assure that "no retransfer of small arms and light weapons takes place without prior authorization" by the government because the UN disapproves of the possession of guns by civilians who are "not part of responsible military and police forces."

The UN also has a plan to propagandize Americans to accept this global ban on private gun ownership. The Draft Programme calls for "seminars, conferences, consultations and workshops conducted by the United Nations" for the purpose of "promoting the Action Plan."

As part of its "awareness-training" to induce Americans to accept the new ban-the-guns policy, the UN wants government to pledge to destroy guns in "public destruction events."

When the United Nations bounced us from the Human Rights Commission, while giving seats to Sudan, Libya, China and Cuba, that was just an insult. But it's deadly serious business when the UN tries to take away our guns.

Phyllis Schlafly column 5-30-01
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Any ideas for protest? Too bad they picked the most restrictive of any place in the USA, but I got a nice 2/3 M-16 lookalike toy gun I can run around the UN plaza with.(and if they try to burn that I WILL kill some effing UN bastards with my bare freaking hands).  These people make me sick. Perhaps firecrackers in spent brass?

[i]Here, mister blue-helmet man, I took these from my daddy's closet. Please burn these.[/i]
[}:D]

*boom*
[moon][moon][moon][moon][moon]
[-!-!-]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh right, we can burn flags. Nearly forgot about that. Where can I get those? UN gift shop?
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
This is not good.[:(]
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope some of the blue-helmet supporters will read this and realize that the UN isn't a happy, friendly organization like they believe.

And I thought the UN had no interest in US civilian ownership of guns....
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
firearms should only be in the hands of resonsible governments....
Hmmm, I bet all the private arms in the hands of U.S citizens killed far fewer than the CCCP's guns killed their own citizens in the 1930's.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Why dont they have this conference somewhere it might be useful to take guns and destroy them, like say Africa or Israel. They have on going gang wars and probably hundreds of civilian casualties every-frickin day!!! Instead they have to target the Americans that can own a gun without shooting his neighbors. ASSININE!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the first gun bumpersticker I ever noticed sums it up nicely:

You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.

I expect my babies to be buried with me.  ;p

Seriously, knowing the course of human events in just the last century I do not think I could bring myself to go peacefully into that good night.

I could not just surrender my arms and do nothing because then the genocide that will most likely occur afterwards would weigh heavily on me.

Propaganda
Registration
Confiscation
Subjugation

The greatest menace to freedom and liberty is an inert people.  People need to get involved now so that we won't have to worry so much about the future.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, these idiots have NO business on US soil! If the day ever comes that they try to forcible overthrow the US Constitution (peacekeeping mission) I can't help but wonder what kind of contrast a red dot will have on blue helmets.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]

You Aint seen nothing yet...
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#13]

[b]You Ain't Seen Nothin Yet....[/b] [:(]
Link Posted: 6/17/2001 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why dont they have this conference somewhere it might be useful to take guns and destroy them, like say Africa or Israel.
View Quote

Even there the kind-hearted UN manages to f**k up. A UN program to disarm civilians in Rawanda was followed by a rash of killing of mutiliations, done by gangs of men with machetes.

God help us when they(UN) come here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top