Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 4:21:47 PM EDT
Well, my "weekend project" is to finally get around to putting together an aluminum gun case for my Remington 700 VSSF.

I've had the pieces cut for nearly 4 years, but I just never got around to building the damn thing. Hopefully I should be able to get it most of the way done this weekend. I say most of the way because I need to pick up a hinge, some latches, a handle, and some corner protectors so I don't have any sharp points sticking out.

It's going to be pretty VERY heavy-duty...the sheet stock I'm using is .125" thickness 2024T6 aircraft aluminum. The angle stock is .190" thick. I'm using squeeze rivets to get it together, but I'm going to have it welded when I'm through. It should be damn close to bomb-proof...

Here's the obligitory "BEFORE" pictures...I'll post update pictures as things progress.

O.K., what are you guys working on this weekend? Post pics, if you've got 'em.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
i was gonna see how many beers i could drink.....................
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Put up plywood and pray the hurriacne doesn't hit us directly on.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#3]
... You can't weld 2024T6 series aluminum. Copper content is too high.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... You can't weld 2024T6 series aluminum. Copper content is too high.

Oh, well...

I'll just use some industrial epoxy in the seams to add strength. It should be good-to-go...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm wondering if the gunshow has been cancelled for tommorrow?

Here's my weekend project. Potential SHTF scenario.

HS1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'll pray for ALL of you Florida guys, too...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]
You can weld 2024-T6 aluminum, but don't expect great results; this alloy is generally considered to not be weldable in the aircraft industry, but lots of folks doing other things don't know that and weld nearly every aircraft alloy available.

I would just rivet it together with 5/32 diameter AD rivets on 8Xdiameter spacing and press on; it will still be bomb proof - I hope your back is, too!

Just to clarify, I recommend against welding your project.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You can weld 2024-T6 aluminum, but don't expect great results; this alloy is generally considered to not be weldable in the aircraft industry, but lots of folks doing other things don't know that and weld nearly every aircraft alloy available.

I would just rivet it together with 5/32 diameter AD rivets on 8Xdiameter spacing and press on; it will still be bomb proof - I hope your back is, too!

... You're right, I suppose you "could" weld just about anything. I guess I should have just cautioned against trying it. It would be a dirty and porous weld and like you said, you'll lose any the properties with the great (expensive) alloy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I will be trying to locate a complete, large pin receiver parts kit for a LEO Colt receiver I ordered.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm wondering if the gunshow has been cancelled for tommorrow?

Here's my weekend project. Potential SHTF scenario.

image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/spec_trop5_720x486.jpg

HS1

Ha ha! Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got through putting a sidefolder on my SAR-1..I'm wanting to do Black Poly Handguards next
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]
1934 Ford Victoria

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]

I think you should get rid of that CRAFTSMAN driver before you do anything soldier! I know it's one of those POS CRAFTSMANs, because I owned one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I'll just hang around and suffer.  These freaking disc in my back hurt like the bones are being pulled out of my body.  I might "pill up" and go to the in laws new house and coach them on unpacking.  It would be nice to go shoot my cannon but that sucker is too heavy to handle in this shape.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#17]
does anyone have problems with yahoo posting pics?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#19]
My weekend project is to spend as much of the Air Force's money as I humanly can before the funds expire on midnight of the 30th.

Yipee!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 4 rifles that need zeroing, a car that needs state inspection, a lawn that needs mowing, and the dog needs a bath. Yay!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Checking deer stands, puting out a feeder, checking the mineral blocks, looking for sign, and verify the zero on my black powder rifle.    Exactly what I wanted to do.

Bob

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have 4 rifles that need zeroing ...

... Me too. I have four virgins that need their cheeries popped  

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#23]
CERT training at the local EMA.  Got canceled last week, we had a power outage and apparently the EMA could not locate a generator....  Ops
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Gotta shag the wife... AGAIN.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#25]
80 Lbs. of ribs for a friends' get-together!  Smoker starting at about 2:00 AM Central if anybody wants to help drink beer and watch the fire!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Going to make a back stop for my rifle range and
oh yea I almost forgot.....

Quoted:

GM
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Have a SAR-1 and a saiga .308 conversion that need to be sighted in. I guess I have to do it

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Put a finish on this for my first 10/22 build;

Fajen Thumbhole Silhouette Stock
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have 4 rifles that need zeroing ...

... Me too. I have four virgins that need their cheeries popped  

members.cox.net/winston_wolf/virgins.jpg

WW,
Bring them Bitches to 'stans house tommrow (09-25-04) Ill be getting there about 3 pm.  AZSKI should be there between 2-3.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Pick up a 78 Lincoln Mark IV from my father-in-law then cut the 9 inch rear end with dics brakes out so I can have it narrowed for my camaro. Sunday go to the local stockcar track with a friend who just got a new latemodel car.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Saturday:
Mom's in town.
Breakfast at IHoP, Kimbel Museum for Salvador Dali in the AM, gun show at Market Hall in the PM

Sunday:
extra shift to support my black rifle addiction just called & got cancelled tomorrow, so it's to mount the scope on my M44 and goto the gym

wganz

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I dont have a project, Im bored.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I just got my GRIZZLY/LAR MANUFACTURING COSMETICALLY BLEMISHED A3 UPPERS today so I'm going to replace an A1 upper with an A3 upper Saturday or Sunday. For $48 each plus shipping, they are nice. One had slight rough area that wasn't sanded flat (feels like grit under finish) before finish was applied and the other has a 1/4 X 3/8 inch shiney spot on the forward assist section.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=195676
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Complaining?    

Find a single guy on here to fill in for ya then.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Well....SHEE-IT.

The only rivets that I have on hand are to damn long...and I can't find my squeeze rivet tool! I'm 99% sure I loaned it to someone where I used to work and forgot to get it back. The real bummer is I can't remember who I loaned it to because it's been nearly 4 years ago...

Now I'm trying to figure out a work-around to finish the job. I'm thinking Cherry-Max...

Wow...I may have to call in an IOU or two on this deal.

Whatever the case, I WON'T have it finished this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Here's what I did last weekend, along with about 800 other people:

www.madisonrecreation.org/kk/

Madison, AL Kid's Kingdom playground rebuild.  The original was damaged by arson last April, so we rebuilt it last weekend.  I was in charge of getting all the tools for the project.  We had a 40' container full of power tools, extension cords, power miter saws, you name it, we had it.  For a desk jockey, working 15 hours per day for 4 days will flat out kill you though!

Merlin
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I sorta sighted in my new barrel yesterday. My friend said I was taking too much shit with us and convinced me not to bring my pistol's aluminum case, which I'd forgotten had all of my targets in it. I used a cardboard box top with a spent shotgun shell in it to sight it. It was actually pretty close to mechanical zero. I'll have to do a better job of it in the near future. Everything worked flawlessly. My rifle did fall over onto the right side with the dust cover open, right into the DIRT though! I'd leaned it against the makeshift bench I was using and as I walked away, it slid over. Despite what some people would have you believe, it continued working flawlessly for another 150 rounds, at which point I was out of ammo.

After I got home I did some home gunsmithing and used my Dremel cut my old scope riser to the proper length to fit on my flat top. It didn't have as enough room anymore after installing an ARMS #40 BUIS and RAS II rail system. Unfortunately, the portion I cut off had the 2nd thumbscrew to keep it on the flat top. It still stays on fairly well with only thumbscrew and washer though. I may paint it in the near future to get rid of that shiny surfaced area in the near future, but it's a cheap ass riser for a cheap scope (that seems to shoot remarkably well) that was given to me as a birthday present one year. Today, I'm relaxing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#38]
sgtstinger,
just cut the rivets off - you're going to smash the hell out of them anyway!  Got a good bucking bar and driver?  Don't dork up the look of your project with Cherry Max's; it's worth waiting another week 'til you get the squeezer back.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Ok, so i have two projects going this weekend.

Here is the first--- about 50% completed. I put that counter top up on friday and saturday, still have to put some shelves in. Me and my buddies also wired up that garage for a welder.

Here is the second-----
1981 honda CB900, refinishing gas tank.
Gas tank used to be stripped paint look, imapieceofshit gas tank, but now!!!

BTW--- those holes in the tank are for the honda emblems.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Today it's taking a few down to eliminate the dungeon effect.

My prayers are with the people north of me who really got hit.
Gerry
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have 4 rifles that need zeroing, a car that needs state inspection, a lawn that needs mowing, and the dog needs a bath. Yay!

All 4 rifles now shooting to point of aim, car failed inspection (tie rod), lawn looking good, dog smelling good. Now it's time for beer and FOOTBALL!!!!!!

I feel so productive....
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I should put the muffler back on my truck.

I should go sight in my .260 and work up some more H335 Loads for it.

I should go work on some irrigation parts that need fixed.

I think Ill sit on my ass and do nothing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
sgtstinger,
just cut the rivets off - you're going to smash the hell out of them anyway!

You want me to cut off over 440 rivets?!?!  
Wanna come down & help me?

Got a good bucking bar and driver?

No, as a matter of fact, I don't...I don't have any air-powered tools anymore, I don't even have an air compressor/tank. And I don't want to spend any $$$ on tools that I'll only use once.

Don't dork up the look of your project with Cherry Max's; it's worth waiting another week 'til you get the squeezer back.

I was able to narrow down the list of "probable suspects" to 3. I e-mailed a guy I know who still works there and he told me that all 3 were laid off from there over 2 years ago...so basically I'm out a squeezer.

I might be willing to buy a squeezer just to finish this job, but I don't want to drop too much cash on one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I went to a beer and seafood festival on Saturday.  It was beautiful.

ETA:  Thank goodness for sunglasses!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top