Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 9:23:31 AM EDT
My dad was a missionary on the Navajo reservation in the 4-corners area many years ago.  He has some really interesting stories about experiences he had there.  Once he mentioned something about "skinwalkers", but my mom wouldn't let him tell us anything about them.  I work with a Navajo lady, but when I asked her about them she said she knew what they were but wouldn't talk about them because they're so evil.

Anybody here know about them?  I looked on the internet, and all I can find are references to evil medicine men who can change their form into animals like werewolves.

Just curious about what they are.  I have no desire to become personally acquainted with that group.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Zombies?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

"skinwalkers".

Too many magic mushrooms
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
SHit!! Stop STOP!!
Naming them summons them!!!!

Jesus, MODS bury this thread!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Just accept them as normal -  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Any relation to skin fluters?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Skinwalkers is a name given to Navajo witches who, according to Navajo legend, are capable of changing from human to animal form and back again.

Skinwalker Legend

Is the Navajo Skinwalker the same as the white man's werewolf? Yes, if the Navajo witch wears the skin of a wolf. But the Navajo witches can mimic any animal they choose, not just the wolf. They can be a cat, a coyote, a dog, a bear, whatever the Navajo witch wants to be. The Navajo witches pick their skins for the type of job they plan to do. The coyote skin is for high speed, accurate sense of smell, and the acute agility. The bear skin is for brute strength, however the bear is not as fast as the coyote. Along with their new abilities, the Navajo Skinwalkers still retain their full mental capacities. If the Navajo witch is a fairly or highly intelligent person, when he or she changes into a Skinwalker they carry that intelligence with them and you have a very dangerous opponent. Unlike the wolf man, the Skinwalker will use their whole bag of tricks - mind control, disease, and immobilization powder.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So wich is more effective against them 12Ga or .223 or 9mm?

.50bmg accept no substitute
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Shape shifters.  Demonic spirits that can change form.

Sounds like my ex-wife.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Is that anything like a Skin Stalker?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thought it was a Trojan brand condom.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Don Juan (in the Carlos Castenada books), the Yaqui wise guy, could appear as an animal IIRC.  Nothing to worry about unless you're ingesting sacred drugs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#15]

They're fake Skywalkers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#16]
People who can turn into animals.  It is considered evil, and if anyone finds out you are a skinwalker you'll die.

Initiation may require homosexual acts, and the loss of something very important to you (such as murdering a family member).

Better off sticking with Jesus or even the Kachinas.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Their Fleas.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
People who can turn into animals.  It is considered evil, and if anyone finds out you are a skinwalker you'll die.

Initiation may require homosexual acts, and the loss of something very important to you (such as murdering a family member).

Better off sticking with Jesus or even the Kachinas.

Don't worry, I have no desire to have any association with these...whatever they are.  I was just curious what they are since they seem like a boogey-man come to life.  My impression is that those who know about them feel a fear of even talking about them.

I related some of my dad's experiences to my Navajo co-worker and she indicated that the experiences were due to "them" and were, in fact, mild compared to what she knows about.

If discussing them is bad ju-ju, I'll leave it be and let it alone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I knew a skinwalker, she worked in this oriental "massage" parlor. Damn, I never had my back feel so good as those times.......
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#20]
It's not bad ju-ju to discuss them as far as I know.  I just meant that it is bad ju-ju to want and become a skin-walker.  I'm sure you can find some reading on it, it's not just something you can casually ask someone you don't know well.

I'm not Navajo, but a couple friends are.  Interesting enough stuff to follow up on.  One of my friend's believes that skin walkers aren't real, but of course the evil things people do trying to become them are real.  He doesn't live on the reservation.  Others will tell you it is real, and I guess what happens on the reservation stays on the reservation.  

I wasn't meaning I thought you were trying to become one.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Ah jeez, I just farted and it went up into my face and everything.  I hate farts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#22]
... she was just mispronouncing "skywalkers", no worries
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#23]
It is with Irony that some Native Americans believe they were tricked in coming out from the inner earth (as a people), but Christian's in the West fear being tricked into the inner earth (hell).  Furthers interest in Art Bell's inner earth theory/ shows.  

I'm not an expert on this stuff.  The Kachinas I believe were  primarily a Hopi religious thing (as far as I know), but the Navajo stores sell them now too.  $$$$?

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Skinwalkers is a name given to Navajo witches who, according to Navajo legend, are capable of changing from human to animal form and back again.

WONDER TWIN POWERS ACTIVATE!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It's not bad ju-ju to discuss them as far as I know.  I just meant that it is bad ju-ju to want and become a skin-walker.  I'm sure you can find some reading on it, it's not just something you can casually ask someone you don't know well.

I'm not Navajo, but a couple friends are.  Interesting enough stuff to follow up on.  One of my friend's believes that skin walkers aren't real, but of course the evil things people do trying to become them are real.  He doesn't live on the reservation.  Others will tell you it is real, and I guess what happens on the reservation stays on the reservation.  

I wasn't meaning I thought you were trying to become one.  

Whew.  Just for the record, I'm very happy being Mormon, and have no desire to get involved with the occult.  

These were the experiences my dad had on the Navajo reservation as a missionary:

1.  One day (it was either early morning or late evening, I don't remember) my dad and his missionary companion were studying the scriptures in the trailer they were renting.  My dad looks up from his scriptures to find an older Navajo man standing in front of him.  My dad has no idea how the Navajo got there because he didn't hear or see him enter.  The stranger asked, "where's my son ----," in Navajo.  "He's not here," my dad replied and looked over at his missionary companion, who was also staring in surprise at the stranger.  The stranger's son was the owner of the trailer and was in jail at the time for some reason.

After making eye contact with his companion, my dad looked back...at...nothing!  The stranger had completely disappeared without a trace.  They checked the trailer and it was locked tight the whole time.  They moved out of the trailer soon after.  To this day my dad doesn't know how the man got in or out.  All they found out was that the father of the trailer owner was known as some kind of witch-doctor.

2.  Another time my dad and his companion were driving home in the evening after a long day of preaching.  Their course took them through a valley of some ritual significance to the Navajos.  As they were passing through the valley the truck's battery and engine died all of a sudden.  Looking through the windows my dad could see shadows encircling the truck.  Dad shook his companion, who had fallen asleep, but his companion wouldn't wake up.  The truck was dead as a doornail, no matter what Dad did, and he could see the dark shapes moving and closing in on the truck.  With no other option, Dad prayed for help from God.  Suddenly the truck started up and the headlights came on.  The moving shapes and shadows had disappeared.  Kicking the truck into gear, Dad floored the gas pedal and sped out of there as fast as he could.  A few minutes later his companion woke up with no recollection of the event.

I've never heard ghost stories from my dad, and these are the only supernatural experiences I've heard him relate, so I believe him.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Body mites?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top