Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 9:21:21 AM EDT

I was cleaning my XD9, and for some stupid reason decided to stick empty brass into the chamber, to see how it extracts (still learning).  Locked the slide shut on the empty case.  

Now the loaded chamber indicator is up, but the slide won't come back.  Its stuck.  Should I just stick a rod down the barrel and tap it to get the brass out (emulate a shot being fired?)?  Do I have to dissasemble the gun somehow....Im really lost here...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#1]
you sir are a certified moron
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yes, I already know.  Any advice?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#3]
You're going to have to apply some force to move the slide to the rear. The case is slightly expanded from being fired, so it's gonna require some force. Just be careful and try not to mar your gun's finish. The gun is definitely unloaded without a doubt, right? Just force that slide to the rear and it'll come out. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#4]
ok, so its in battery on an empty case
drop the mag pull the trigger on the empty, then try pulling the slide back

look for anything that may be holding the slide closed(safetys and whatnot)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You're going to have to apply some force to move the slide to the rear. The case is slightly expanded from being fired, so it's gonna require some force. Just be careful and try not to mar your gun's finish. The gun is definitely unloaded without a doubt, right? Just force that slide to the rear and it'll come out. Good luck.

Thanks DOW, thats all I wanted to know.  I just didn't want to force it if it was going to hurt something.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#6]
It's a locked breech pistol, so tapping won't do good.  You need to move the whole locked slide & barrel combo.

Take an unsharpened pencil (or dowel), put a patch over the end, and slide it down the barrel.  With it pushing on the empty, pull the slide back.  All you've done is put a slightly expanded cartridge in...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Can't you stick a wooden dowel down the barrell and tap everything back??? Gently of course.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Apparently that brass wasn't fired in your gun.  (i.e. It's a little larger than your chamber.)

Two options:

1) the hard way:  Pull like hell  to see if the extractor rips through the rim or pulls the case out.  If it pulls through the rim lock the slide back and tap it out with a rod.

2)  The easy way:  Find a rod of a mat'l softer than the barrel that will pass down the barrel and into the case.  Grip the gun and push the rod which is now in the barrel against a firm surface.  The rod should push the case out as it opens the slide.

And yeah...  Don't do this again.

Only brass from your gun will fit in your gun a second time reliably w/o jamming it if you don't resize it first.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#9]
And buy a few snap-caps which are designed to be loaded and extracted.

Here are some pics...

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was cleaning my XD9, and for some stupid reason decided to stick empty brass into the chamber, to see how it extracts (still learning).  Locked the slide shut on the empty case.  

Now the loaded chamber indicator is up, but the slide won't come back.  Its stuck.  Should I just stick a rod down the barrel and tap it to get the brass out (emulate a shot being fired?)?  Do I have to dissasemble the gun somehow....Im really lost here...

STOP!

Relax.

Are you depressing the GRIP SAFTEY while you try to Pull the slide back.

Make sure you are, or it won't come back.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Can't you stick a wooden dowel down the barrell and tap everything back??? Gently of course.

Yup, but I used a 5/16 steel rod, wrapped with a cloth.  I had to tap it with a hammer, it was really stuck good.  

Problem solved!  Really appreciate the help guys, I learn from my mistakes
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

STOP!

Relax.

Are you depressing the GRIP SAFTEY while you try to Pull the slide back.

Make sure you are, or it won't come back.

Yeah, I had to stick the frame in a vice, so all the cloths that I stuck in there to prevent damage to the gun held in the grip safety.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Give the guy a break.  He was just trying to learn how the extractor works and what he did was safer than using a live round.  When I bought my first .22 I took it apart with no idea how to put it back together, and it took me a while.  Stuff like this is a good learning experience.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#15]
jsmit, next time just use a wood dowel two inches longer than the barrel, insert it, kneel on a piece of carpet, place the pistol in a normal two-handed grip, muzlle down on the rug, and put your weight on it. No hammer or vise required.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Harsh harsh
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I would have just shot a 22LR down the barrel. That always gets em unstuckified.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top