Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 9:10:07 AM EDT
What would happen if any of the candidates (especially the president) died a couple of days before the elections?  Remember that there are some states that start the absentee voting weeks before Nov 2.  Also, what would happen if a terminal illness for one of the presidential candidates was revealed a day after the election and it was known well in advance of the election?

CW
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to know too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#2]
btt for the superior intelligence of the night crew.

CW
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The veep or veep nominee would become the candidate.  Duh.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Then who gets to run for veep? Also, don't we vote for a veep independant of the pres?

CW
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I seem to recall a State Congress election last year (or the year before) where one of the candidates died of a heart attack only a day or two before the day of the election, but it was too late to change anything. He ended up getting the most votes, but instead of declaring in favour of the next highest (and living) candidate, the dead candidate's wife became the Congress-critter instead, and she wasn't even a registered candidate in the election.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then who gets to run for veep? Also, don't we vote for a veep independant of the pres?

CW

The new presidential candidate would pick a veep.  No, we dont for a veep independent of the president.  How old are you?  Are you new to this country?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I seem to recall a State Congress election last year (or the year before) where one of the candidates died of a heart attack only a day or two before the day of the election, but it was too late to change anything. He ended up getting the most votes, but instead of declaring in favour of the next highest (and living) candidate, the dead candidate's wife became the Congress-critter instead, and she wasn't even a registered candidate in the election.

Yes, that was the Senate race for Missouri in 2000.  The loser in that race was John Ashcroft, who President Bush made our Attorney General (basically, the chief law enforcement officer of the country).  The Democrat who died and whose widow won was Mel Carnahan.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Carnahan
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a time when the VP was elected seperately, or was the defeated candidate with the next biggest vote tally, I can't remember which. That ended a long time ago. Back in the late 1700s.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There was a time when the VP was elected seperately, or was the defeated candidate with the next biggest vote tally, I can't remember which. That ended a long time ago. Back in the late 1700s.

No, in the old days, the loser candidate for president took the veep spot by the president's graciousness.  But politics being what it is, that unwritten understanding was quickly shitcanned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top