Hit the poll on this page:
"Do you think JMU has the right to ban concealed weapons on campus?"
www.thebreeze.org/

Original reference from this post: www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=13482

Story here: www.thebreeze.org/front/front2.shtml

Thursday, September 23, 2004
Local sues to carry guns on campus
by Kelly Jasper / Senior writer

A Valley resident is suing JMU for the right to carry a gun on campus.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday against President Linwood Rose, challenges the university’s authority to prevent people who hold concealed weapons permits to carry guns on school property.

"I’m sorry, but public colleges and university grounds are not exempt from Virginia law," said Dave Briggman, a Keezletown resident, who filed the suit in Rockingham County Circuit Court.

Briggman maintains that public institutions such as JMU can’t enact policies contrary to the state code, which only prohibits concealed handguns in places of worship, courthouses, places licensed for alcohol and K-12 schools.

A frequent visitor to JMU, Briggman said he usually carries a concealed gun on campus, a violation of JMU’s weapons policy.

"I can carry a concealed weapon into the General Assembly. I can carry a concealed weapon into any state building but the courthouse," said Briggman, who is also state chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus. "Why can’t I carry a gun on University Boulevard or in the school’s library? They don’t have the legal right to stop me."

JMU’s weapons policy states, "No person shall carry, maintain, or store a weapon, concealed or otherwise, on any property owned, leased, or controlled by James Madison University." Exemptions include law enforcement but make no mention of gun owners in possession of a concealed weapons permit.

"I can be ejected from campus for merely driving through with a gun in my car," said Briggman, who possesses a concealed weapons permit. JMU policy bars violators from campus and allows police to seize the weapon.

The Commonwealth Attorney’s Office told Briggman he wouldn’t be prosecuted for carrying the gun on campus, Briggman said. The office was unavailable for comment.

"It’s something I think about when I drive through. I hope it would never come to that," he said. "But this policy is clearly against state law."

In March 2003, when Briggman was a night student at Blue Ridge Community College, he challenged the school’s weapon policy. In an informal opinion, the Attorney General advised that the college’s policy was not legal, Briggman said. Though he no longer is a student, he has carried a concealed weapon on the campus since the opinion.

If the court ruled in Briggman’s favor, the policy would not necessarily allow students and employees to also carry weapons on campus.

"This lawsuit addresses my rights as a visitor who possesses a lawful concealed weapons permit," Briggman said. For a student to carry a concealed weapon on campus, a student who possesses the proper permit should file a case, he said. The student must be at least 21 because of the minimum age to obtain a concealed weapons permit.

Fred Hilton, director of media relations, said the university hasn’t seen any documentation of the lawsuit. While he declined to speculate on possible changes to university policy, Hilton said students still will operate under university policy and the Student Handbook, both of which prohibit gun possession. Each has been part of JMU policy for a number of years, he said.

"It’s an effort to provide a safe and secure learning and working environment for students, employees and visitors," Hilton said.

Briggman will not be represented by a lawyer at the hearing, scheduled for Oct. 20. "This is too easy for a lawyer," he said. "It’s clear JMU is in violation of state law."
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
63% opposed to 35% pro concealed carry on campus. I am all for it, but that's because I am standing in front of a lecture hall.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you think JMU has the right to ban concealed weapons on campus?

No, it's a Constitutional right to bear arms.  63.8%

Yes, it's for everyone's safety.  35.1%

I do not know.  1.0%

Total votes: 390

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#3]
As an interesting side note, Virginia Commonwealth University is actually in the state code as being a place plebians may not carry a firearm of any sort.  It sucks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]
No, it's a Constitutional right to bear arms.  65.3%
Yes, it's for everyone's safety.  33.7%
I do not know.  1.0%

Total Votes: 412
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Hit!

No, it's a Constitutional right to bear arms.  68.2%

Yes, it's for everyone's safety.  30.9%

I do not know.  0.9%

Total votes: 459

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#7]
why would anyone need to pack at a school?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#8]
done.

No, it's a Constitutional right to bear arms.   69.0%
Yes, it's for everyone's safety. 30.2%
I do not know. 0.8%

Total votes: 480
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Dude, this isn't DU.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Did you leave a comedy or sarcasm tag off of that.

Go read about the rapes and strong-arm robberies around a campus like USC.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Read the post about the Indy police officer shot and killed on Butler University's campus this morning!  That's why you might need a firearm on campus!  Several years ago, at ISU campus in Terre Haute, IN several people were shot in drive-bys ON campus!  Rapes are rampant throughout the U.S. university campus' also!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
heheh heheh heheh  he said   ''spank this poll"     heheh heheh
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
hit. keep em coming.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Being on a college campus, I have my reasons for not only getting a CCW but using it regardless of campus rules.

EDIT:   Cancel the rest of this... local cop (nice guy!) reads Arfcom.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#15]
YES 75.4%
NO 24%
? 0.6%
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
63% opposed to 35% pro concealed carry on campus. I am all for it, but that's because I am standing in front of a lecture hall.

You read it backwards and I think it is worded in a such a way that you really have to read it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ever heard of Beslan?  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the post about the Indy police officer shot and killed on Butler University's campus this morning!  That's why you might need a firearm on campus!  Several years ago, at ISU campus in Terre Haute, IN several people were shot in drive-bys ON campus!  Rapes are rampant throughout the U.S. university campus' also!

I have been asked more than half a dozen times to accompany a girl to her car.   But maybe thats just because I'm hot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#20]
hit it!   83% NO!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#21]
hIT. 84.6% no.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Definitely a bullshit poll.  They make it sound as if the issue is whether anyone can carry a concealed weapon around.  That doesn't bother me, but will scare the sheeple.  The poll should read "should state licensed concealed weapon permit holders be allowed to carry concelaed weapons on Campus?"  The 2d ammendment is not at issue here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#23]
No, it's a Constitutional right to bear arms.  85.4%
Yes, it's for everyone's safety.  14.6%
I do not know.  0.0%

Total votes: 82

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never been to that website  but the poll says I've Already  Voted.    er ?

Maybe because I refused cookies....

Rip
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Of course they have the right; its private property. I wasn't particularly impressed with the poll answer  choices
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Done.

The total number of votes is less now.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#27]
+1
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#28]
It's Spanked
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#29]
kickin its ass!

No, it's a Constitutional right to bear arms. 82.9%
Yes, it's for everyone's safety. 17.1%
I do not know. 0.0%

Total votes: 123
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:23:49 PM EDT
[#30]

HIT:

Poll

No, it's a Constitutional right to bear arms.  84.1%

Yes, it's for everyone's safety.  15.9%

I do not know.  0.0%

Total votes: 132

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#31]

No, it's a Constitutional right to bear arms.  84.7%

Yes, it's for everyone's safety.  15.3%

I do not know.  0.0%

Total votes: 137

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Spanked for the sake of the children.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#33]
We are crushing that poll
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top