Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 4:23:36 AM EDT
Over the years, I've made the observation across many faiths, that many Christians are generally an argumentative lot.

They get mad at each other, and I have even seen so-called Christians get so angry, that they come to near physical violence over unprovable semantics within doctrinal discussions.

What drives this kind of person to put all the other fundamentals to having a relationship with Christ on the shelf, just to walk away from a discussion with the gratification that they 'got a good one in on them' (actually heard people say that about a Bible discussion).

It's a huge turnoff. It's disgusting, and it does more to push people away than attract them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#1]
You're full of shit.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:25:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I am.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Christians are jealous of Catholic men's big penises.

Not to mention their huge balls.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Those are just the ones that you notice . . . there are many who will make the point that is asked about, or a simple defense of faith and leave it alone.  Although, the temptation to beat the poor blind ass who disagrees with you into a bloody pulp is . . . . well, you know . . .

And, I have met many who claim atheism who simply cannot let the day go by without doing their best attempt to piss off someone who believes, just so they can feel better about not believing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:29:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Over the years, I've made the observation across many faiths, that many Christians are generally an argumentative lot.

I disagree.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.violently-happy.net/musings/pix/revackbar.jpg

Without a doubt!

Wvwn our bells are hung!

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:33:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Why are you worried about it??
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:34:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

www.violently-happy.net/musings/pix/revackbar.jpg

+1

And I'm Irish.  Wanna fight?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:36:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#10]
At least Christians don't feel the need to strap bombs on women and children to further their beliefs.  When someone is a preaching to me I just grin, nod and let it pass through one ear and out the other.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I've observed that people are equally argumentative, and that any group they belong to has little to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 4:54:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:00:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Well Ben, my friend, you may be surprised to know that I agree with you on some of your points.

I am a Christian, but I don't get angry or mad at others when we debate theological issues.  But I have seen some that have.  I also think it does a disservice to our Savior.

I even get disappointed, and have IMed some, to ask them to be kinder in their remarks to unbelievers.  Some just can't seem to resist an opportunity to say something smart and cutting in an argument.

Mark Twain once said, "You will catch more flies with a drop of honey than with a gallon of vinegar."

Same applies to arguments about doctrine.

Of course, as Christians, we are instructed to defend the faith through apolegetics or argument.

Jude 1:3....and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

That is why, when we see someone mis-representing  the faith, we are compelled to defend the Truth.

But you are right about one thing.....we should do it in a kind and Christ-like manner.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:00:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Without a doubt!

Well, since I left the Roman Church prior to becoming an altar boy at St. Johns, I have NO EARTHLY IDEA about the size of Catholic men's penises and balls!

Thank God!

Eric The(TheNunsWereNeverMuchOfATurnOnForMe,Either)Hun

Well, since you were once Catholic, you will note that they shrink after you desert the Church.  Wearing horns on your head will provide some compensatory comfort, I suppose.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:11:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:12:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Buddy, you tryin to start a crapstorm?

That's a little prejudice, isn't it?  I don't know where you're from, but all of the Christians, protestant and Catholic alike, that I know are 99% of the most humble, God-fearing, and straight-up people I know.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Christians are COMMANDED to spread the message.

It merely APPEARS they are combative and argumentative.

In reality, they simply relay the truth of the word of God, which is the old "unstoppable force."

God's Word carries with it a weight and a "force" that make it IMPOSSIBLE to convey gently, no matter how humbly and gently the Christian may attmpt to do so.

Christianity is COMPLETELY incompatible with the notion "Well, your opinion is just as valid as God's."

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#20]
[.p;0lloiujyhtgrgedcaeHG5REWQA

Sorry my giant penis just swept across the keyboard when I turned around.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:19:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[.p;0lloiujyhtgrgedcaeHG5REWQA

Sorry my giant penis just swept across the keyboard when I turned around.

Posting naked again, wedge?

Or were you just visiting the poonbeat.com website?

Get dressed now!

Eric The(You'reMakingTheRomansNervous!)Hun

Since I am the only one in the office today I have decided that it is naked Friday!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#23]
With balls this big it hard not to worship it as a false idol.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#24]

All people argue in this fashion, Christian or not.  It's human nature.  The reason you and others come to this conclusion about Christians is because, as soon as they say "I'm Christian and I know the only way to salvation", they are immediately placed under a microscope.  You expect more out of them.  Truth being that Christians are just as messed up as anyone else, they just know they can't help themselves.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I am a Christian, but that doesn't mean I always do the right thing.  It's called HUMAN NATURE.  Some Christians are stronger than others in that they can stop themselves from making bad, un christianlike choices.  Then there are Christians like me.  I believe in God, and i have been saved.  That's what makes you a Christian, not the way you act.  But regardless, all Christians SHOULD try to set a good example.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
With balls this big it hard not to worship it as a false idol.

Sgatr15

Now THAT is funny
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#27]

It's a huge turnoff. It's disgusting, and it does more to push people away than attract them.

AMEN.

I think we mainly argue because NONE of us, not one, fully understand God's will, and being human (and therefore imperfect), we are all convinced to a degree that our personal understanding is somehow superior to that of everyone else.

Therefore, we feel the need to point out flaws in others, while discounting our own.

I'm as guilty of it as anyone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#28]
w3arjy7,l68i.; 986/'prl,7s5awo l,o9784e/9.isdty7ulas,5qwuj6q7894y6rjthtrdgzdfghtbtrs
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
w3arjy7,l68i.; 986/'prl,7s5awo l,o9784e/9.isdty7ulas,5qwuj6q7894y6rjthtrdgzdfghtbtrs

Would you PLEASE stand still!!?!?!?!??!!

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Sorry again.  This time my huge Catholic balls were resting on the keyboard.  I may have to cancel naked Friday.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:47:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
[

Sorry again.  This time my huge Catholic balls were resting on the keyboard.  I may have to cancel naked Friday.

Do it for the children bandwidth.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:48:11 AM EDT
[#32]
You complain about the argumentative qualities of Christians and yet you purposely instigate an argument? If "want to keep the peace" then why purposely make comments about sensitive subjects, and furthermore, provide insufficient arguments and information for your thesis. That's like saying "I know a lot of Jews and they all hate Christ...", you propagated an argument that was ill-conceived and poorly supported.

GRH - God's Right Hand - "Hold No Quarter. Feel No Remorse."
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a Knight of Columbus meeting tonight?

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I believe in God, and i have been saved.  That's what makes you a Christian, not the way you act.  But regardless, all Christians SHOULD try to set a good example.

This is the part where a non-Christian says, "well isn't that great, you can just be saved and live how you want".  That's incorrect.  If you are saved you will experience a change in your life.  If you don't, then I would re-evaluate the experience.  If you are a Christian and choose to live in sin, purposefully, then you will literally live hell on Earth.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Arguing is better than chopping someones head off....
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I think the situation of Chrisitans wanting to argue or "push" thier views on others is the most powerful force keeping others from becoming Christians. Jesus didnt do it that way .... He led mostly by example. I think today's Christians should do the same. It is understandable, when you have a good thing, you want to share it with the world, but the world doesnt care .... the only way is to lead by example. so called Christians have not lived up to the teachings of Jesus in this area.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Arguing is better than chopping someones head off....

What if your late for an appointment?  It'd be much quicker just to chop their head off than waste an hour arguing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I think the situation of Chrisitans wanting to argue or "push" thier views on others is the most powerful force keeping others from becoming Christians. Jesus didnt do it that way .... He led mostly by example. .

And yet they MURDERED Him.

Futher, your assertion contradicts Christs own worlds "As they hated me, they will hate you also."

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#39]

That's absurd.

That's a nice way to justify any and all behavior in the name of Jesus -- even if it's not Christian behavior, just any old behavior done in Jesus' name.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the situation of Chrisitans wanting to argue or "push" thier views on others is the most powerful force keeping others from becoming Christians. Jesus didnt do it that way .... He led mostly by example. .

And yet they MURDERED Him.

Futher, your assertion contradicts Christs own worlds "As they hated me, they will hate you also."

No it doesn't ... the world hates Christians, I agree .... does not release us from the responsibility of setting a good example.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Frankly the only time I argue is when some non believer attempts to incite a crap storm by posting some idiotic thing about MY organized religion that is utterly false. Like that we ALL believe that the universe is 10,000 years old. Or that we think that Dinosaur bones were put here deliberately to confuse us.

I am a die hard Christian. I believe Jesus bore and died for our sins. And that there, at one point, were giant animals running around eating each other. We just didn't evolve from them or any chimp for that matter.

Such things aren't incompatible. But some people want to hold the beliefs of the few (the 10,000 year old universe believers) against all of Christianity just to make us all look stupid. Well I got news for you: We're not all stupid. Nor are all non-believers stupid. You believe what you believe, and while I'd love to convert nonbelievers to Christianity, you have free will and are allowed to go your own way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top