Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 9:45:15 PM EDT
Matthew 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

what exactly does that mean?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not take revenge.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
so basically, it says even though it's justified, dont do it? I don't get it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that this is one of the most misunderstood scriptures in the Bible.
It seems to me that the message is not to take revenge for the sake of
revenge.  If you can defuse a situation by walking away, do so.
It does not mean that you must stand there and let someone beat you into
the ground.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder what god thinks if you kill someone there even though you can walk away simply for the sake of preventing them from coming after you later on in life.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wonder what god thinks if you kill someone there even though you can walk away simply for the sake of preventing them from coming after you later on in life.

He wouldn't like that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

As I recall, there is a passage saying "if your neighbor plans to kill you, get up earlier and kill him first".
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
combat_jack where'd you read that?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Matthew 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

what exactly does that mean?

It means take a hit for the team (my translation).  However, Christ said to carry a sword.

I think it all means that it's OK to take abuse for the sake of the message he brought to us, but defend yourself against those who'd kill/harm you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
actually...

in those days to strike a man with the back of your hand was an insult, to offer him your other cheek would be an unheard of challenge, he would be shamed if he did not strike you with the fore of his hand...

But striking with the fore of the hand is reserved only for a peer...

It is a message of forgiveness, reason, and dignity... its that dignity one that people gloss over
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
actually...

in those days to strike a man with the back of your hand was an insult, to offer him your other cheek would be an unheard of challenge, he would be shamed if he did not strike you with the fore of his hand...

But striking with the fore of the hand is reserved only for a peer...

It is a message of forgiveness, reason, and dignity... its that dignity one that people gloss over

Yes, this is what I have also heard. It's a challenge to humble your aggressor and not for you to be a wuss and let him kick your butt like most liberals think....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top