Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2004 5:59:13 PM EDT
No matter what you do in life, somebody will be pissed off by it....

Indians threaten re-enactors with violence

www.interestalert.com/brand/siteia.shtml?Story=st/sn/09200000aaa03977.upi&Sys=cbd&Type=News&Fid=NATIONAL&Filter=National%20News

CHAMBERLAIN, S.D., Sept. 20 (UPI) -- A spokesman for a group of North American Indians threatened re-enactors following Lewis and Clark explorations with violence.

"We didn't bring our bows and arrows today," said Carter Camp, a Ponca from Oklahoma who met with the re-enactors at a South Dakota site. "But if you continue, we will harass you. We will bring our bows and arrows."

Other Indians talked of sinking the expedition's boats and of Lakota warriors' fame for night fighting, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Monday.

Camp also called attention during Saturday's meeting to young Indian men standing nearby.

"If you don't listen to us, tomorrow you're going to talk to them," he said. "They are not so patient."

Scott Mandrell, who portrays Meriwether Lewis, said the Indians' appeal for the re-enactors to terminate the re-enactment would go to directors of the non-profit Discovery Expedition of St. Charles, Mo.

Leaders of the expedition, which came up the river in stages from Missouri and arrived in Chamberlain last week, traveled on Sunday to the Crow Creek reservation, their next stop upriver, to talk with tribal leaders about security and other issues.

State, county and local law officers monitored the discussion from a distance, and Chamberlain police photographed people who spoke.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The Indians are just making it a realistic reenactment, that's all!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
They never learn.. gotta make it past the bow and arrow for offensive (and defensive) action these days
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I think rifle trumps bow and arrow.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
What dumbasses. Is history just doomed to repeat itself??
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#5]
No bird woman to mediate this time (read as bail white man bacon out of fire).  I think they should bring plenty of gifts and pass them out freely - just like Louie and the Clerk did.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Dateline Mandan, ND...

Bureau of Indian Affairs officer shoots unarmed Native as he moves his hands around his waste.

A search of his wigwam after the incident revealed a bow, several arrows, and an unregisterd tomahawk.

The BIA has ruled the incident a "good shoot".  

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Indians are just making it a realistic reenactment, that's all!

... Dayum! You beat me to my response verbatim
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:30:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The fellow that headed up the construction of the keel boat after Glenn Bishop passed on just left - he relayed this story but didn't mention a source.  Apparently the Sioux told the crew to stay out of Pine Ridge.

One of the daughters asked why the Indians are mad - "200 year old grudge" is what I told her, and "They don't want to make the same mistake twice."
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#9]
They're just gonna have to relearn history...the hard way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Isn't one of them a REAL army officer?

Isn't threatening an army officer illegal?

TERRORISTS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Send John Kerry in, he knows a better way to negotiate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Goddam Cleveland ball players!

I get tired of professional athletes being such prima donnas.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Next time the re-enactors need to bring reall bullets.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Next time the re-enactors need to bring reall bullets.

Plus super hot Air rifle and a bow mounted cannon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#17]
They can just pass through in the early morning when they are all sleeping off their firewater....

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Way to focus on the real problem... it isn't drinking, a dependence-culture, rampant corruption in tribal government or any of those issues that is worthy of causing a big mess. It is that bastard pretending to be Lewis and Clark that you need to go threaten with violence; because he is the real source of your troubles.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#20]
What is the story here?

What is their beef with the reenactors?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What is the story here?

What is their beef with the reenactors?

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Their chance to look and sound fierce, vent some more of their problems.

I'm a white man that's frankly embarrassed by what this country has done to and how the native Americans have been treated throughout the history of the nation.

HOWEVER.......the gig is up. The opportunities are there. Motivate. If anything, reverse discrimination is far more prevalent than "old style" discrimination. I'm certain the native Americans have their Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton type rabble rousers also. It shows.

These fuckers are trying to grab some of the limelight. Back off, for Christ's sake, and let these people do something that causes you no harm.  Focus on doing something for your people instead of polarizing people against you or causing them to cease caring about you and your cause.

I recently got a Smithsonian magazine that had an article about the native American museum that recently opened in D.C.

Almost all the comments from NAs were negative, except those about the museum. Yeah, right, I'm gonna start venting about how my Irish and Dutch ancestors were taken advantage of when they came to this country.......NOT!  Why?

BECAUSE I GOT OVER IT!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#23]
It's not my fault they were shitty fighters and bad traders

j/k - FWIW I am part Choctaw
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, shut the fuck up and deal my blackjack.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Their chance to look and sound fierce, vent some more of their problems.

I'm a white man that's frankly embarrassed by what this country has done to and how the native Americans have been treated throughout the history of the nation.

HOWEVER.......the gig is up. The opportunities are there. Motivate. If anything, reverse discrimination is far more prevalent than "old style" discrimination. I'm certain the native Americans have their Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton type rabble rousers also. It shows.

These fuckers are trying to grab some of the limelight. Back off, for Christ's sake, and let these people do something that causes you no harm.  Focus on doing something for your people instead of polarizing people against you or causing them to cease caring about you and your cause.

I recently got a Smithsonian magazine that had an article about the native American museum that recently opened in D.C.

Almost all the comments from NAs were negative, except those about the museum. Yeah, right, I'm gonna start venting about how my Irish and Dutch ancestors were taken advantage of when they came to this country.......NOT!  Why?

BECAUSE I GOT OVER IT!!!

I don't even really feel that bad about it.  Conquests took place over and over all through history.  Did they just 'poof' onto the land or did they defend it and chase off other people who where on it?   Nobody could have a soverign nation if we keept getting all misty over the folks who lost.

They were treated badly, but not by me nor by anyone alive today and certianly not by a few guys that dress up as Lewis and Clark.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Yeah, shut the fuck up and deal my blackjack.

Man, that is cold blooded. And very funny
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Just give them a case of whisky and tell them to go away.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#28]
You give me 20 Beaver and 40 Muskrats, and ill give you whiskey and red cloth.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It's not my fault they were shitty fighters and bad traders

j/k - FWIW I am part Choctaw

A few points about this:

Many were great fighters as individuals. The problem was many tribes promoted individual glory and not organized tactics.

It was a fight between a technologically advanced people and a group not far out of the stone age. Indians hadn't invented the wheel, had no industrial base, and relied on the white man for weapons to even out their chances.

A few years ago I heard an interview with a couple of authors who challenged the lousy trader charge. The leaders of the tribes were very intelligent men.  Most tribes didn't feel they owned the land, the land could not be owned by man. So along comes these goofy white men who want to pay the Indians for land the Indians didn't own.  The Indians didn't realize the long term effect, but they essentially were selling the Brooklyn Bridge to a bunch of patsies.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#30]
It is shocking what the Indians get away with.

Here is an article about the Sioux siezure of 134,000 acres of Badlands National Park.  Imagine if it was a group of armed white religious dissenters that sized federal land.  They would be toasted, not coddled.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top