Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2004 1:10:34 PM EDT
I want to get one of these (or a sten kit) to play with.  
what kind of condition are these "cut" kits in?  are they junk or
can i make a no firing replica that looks ok?

can you build them into functioning guns?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#1]
is it true you can't convert these into pistols because of some ATF ruling that any open bolt weapon is a machine gun?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#2]
No open bolt and the barrel must be at least 16" with an OAL of 26" with the stock folded.  Additionally, just rewelding a demilled kit can get you in serious truble, even if you make it semi-only.  Unless the receiver has some alterations to make it not  readily restorable to a MG and different from an unaltered STEn or Sterling receiver tube, the mere rewelded tube could be considered a MG.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
TAPCO used to sell semi-auto parts (16" BBl, t-type or wire loop stock) and SA receivers to local FFL that you could use with select parts from the WWII STEN kits. There was also a source for SA STENS.

Haven't seen 'em in a few years.

Of course, I haven't been looking too hard.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the Sten kits that I've seen were in great shape. They had cosmoline on them but not huge amounts.  The reciever was cut in a way that none of the parts were destroyed and probably could be made into a functioning weapon if the law would allow it and you could figure out how.  I bought some for the barrels long ago with the intention to make some small blackpowder cannons. Never got around to it and traded them for a muzzle loader.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
i plan to use a new 80% tube.
drill the holes and make the gun from the parts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You're not going to try to make a select fire weapon are you?  That's not supposed to be done, just incase you didn't know.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're not going to try to make a select fire weapon are you?  That's not supposed to be done, just incase you didn't know.

nope!
semi only
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top