Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2004 1:02:02 PM EDT
My friend's grandfather left him a German MP40 that he took off of a German solider in WWII.  To bring it into the country after his tour ended, he had to "plug the barrel" to make it inoperable.  This all occurred way before the NFA act (I believe).  

My friend has thought about valuing it and possibly having it converted into a functioning weapon.  Does anyone know how to go about valuing such a piece or how to go about converting it legally to a functioning weapon.

In case I am wrong about the weapon's name, my friend's grandfather always referred to it as a German "burp gun" because of its sound signature.  This may be a common term to someone who knows something on the subject.

Thanks for you help in advance.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The NFA law was put in place in the 30's I believe, before the MP40 was brought back. You would have to deal with it in the same manner as any machine gun. As to value, no clue, but they're sweet weapons...always loved them since the first episode of Hogans Heros!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Value? Oh, I guess about 10 years, lol.

To be legally a dewat now, it must have the receiver cut into 3 parts, by a wide and nasty saw cut.
The barrel plug means nothing, as the barrels are detachable, and replacement parts kits are available.
The NFA started in 1934, I believe.
But the process of demilling has been changed to the receiver cuts now.

That gun is an outlaw, have nothing to do with it.
Nothing but trouble.

Edit to add:
That gun can NOT EVER be registered and a tax stamp paid on it.
It is contraband.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
mail it to me and I will dispose of it for you free of charge
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
humm, are you in the ATF by chance?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
your best bet it to donate it to the local police department. There was a widow of a WWII vet not to long ago near where I lived that had the police department come over to her house to pickup a Thompson her husband had and some grenades he brought back shortly after he died. The police turned the grenades over to the National Guard and they kept the Thompson for the department. She got into no trouble and the Thompson isn't gonna be cut up. They are keeping it for display and historical purposes. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
do you get a tax write off or anything for donating the firearm?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Check if he has any papers that came with the gun.  If it's a registered DEWAT he can reactivate it and make it a machinegun again.  Even if it's not a registered DEWAT, I have read of the ATF allowing registration if there was a letter from the commanding officer authorizing taking the gun as a war trophy.    If that's not the case, it is possible to donate it to a governmentally-funded museum (and get a tax break for it too, IIRC).  Post this question on subguns.com, there's a lot of NFA experts there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if you can get a tax write off or not.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Try these guys and then delete your post.

www.ohioordnanceworks.com/parts.htm
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Just have an attorney check with the ATF, and see if its in the NFA registry...it may have been registered during the 1968 Amnesty.

If its not...prepare to have it surrended to the ATF ASAP.  If it is in the registry, then now we have another transferable MG for us folks that can own them.....

Its not worth asking around, to "see" what its worth........unless you dont' mind doing 10 years/$10,000 fine.

Up to you....

Quoted:
My friend's grandfather left him a German MP40 that he took off of a German solider in WWII.  To bring it into the country after his tour ended, he had to "plug the barrel" to make it inoperable.  This all occurred way before the NFA act (I believe).  

My friend has thought about valuing it and possibly having it converted into a functioning weapon.  Does anyone know how to go about valuing such a piece or how to go about converting it legally to a functioning weapon.

In case I am wrong about the weapon's name, my friend's grandfather always referred to it as a German "burp gun" because of its sound signature.  This may be a common term to someone who knows something on the subject.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Stick it in your attic, never speak of it again, wait to see if another amnesty comes up.

Also, delete this post.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a friend who has the exact same situation as you. An MP40 too. I saw it. He had to do something to the barrel/receiver back in the 70's or something.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Stick it in your attic, never speak of it again, wait to see if another amnesty comes up.

Also, delete this post.

Spade's advice is sound.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#14]
MP40s are going in the $8000 range for a operational registered gun. If it isn't registered than it is definately not something to keep laying around. Have a C3 dealer or a buddy down at the local PD call the SN into the ATF and see if its in the registery. If its in the books it is just a matter of doing a transfer. If it isn't in the books it is trouble waiting to happen.

You aren't in the Big Sandy or Camden area are you? I can tell you an MP40 story if you are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top