Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 8:57:02 AM EDT
UPDATE:  See my "Here's how it went" post down the page...

---------------------------

A post-post-ban A2.  Also three handguns and about a thousand rounds of ammo.  To top it off I'm wearing an ArmaLite t-shirt.

Today my department is having an annual "team building" activity.  This year all 15 of us are going to a shooting range for firearms safety instruction and trigger time.  About half of them are firearm newbies.  I'm proud to say this was my idea.

So the rule against having weapons at work is waived, and I'm going to get paid for shooting all afternoon with my coworkers.

I sold the idea to the big boss like this:  If you can trust your coworker with a loaded weapon, surely you can trust him or her with a computer system.  He's a Chinese-born Canadian and has never fired a firearm.  Now he's the most gung-ho of all of us.

My new immediate supervisor is a Marine, and his boss is extremely pro-gun.  I never could have gotten away with this at my previous job.  I'll post a followup this evening.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
good job!

Great job!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Oooohhh.
Gives me ideas.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#4]
i take one to work everyday
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Outstanding job, especially considering where you live and work!

We are having a similar employee shoot here in NY next month. It just happens that my boss is just as hard core as most of us here when it comes to our RKBA.

The owner is just as cool. Even though he doesn't own a single firearm, he is totally cool about me bringing in my AR15's, and other weapos, for detailed cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Wish my office would do something like that everyone here is afraid of guns of any type of weapon for that matter
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
If you worked for the Postal Service it might read like this:

Quoted:
So the rule against having weapons at work is waived, and I'm going to get paid for shooting all my coworkers this afternoon.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Good job and hopefully you'll have a few converts by the end of the afternoon!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget to make your boss wear two big heavy useless flak vests, and a helmet, like a knights helmet.  Tell him it's for safety, firearms are dangerous
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Civil liability concerns are so amazingly high for doing something like this, you must work for a smaller company.  I think it's great you go to do this.  But a trial lawyer cuold use this against the company in a major, major way if there is every any gun violence in your workplace.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's how it went:

Out of 14 people in my group only five had any previous firearms experience.  The day was a big success.  Everyone got to try a wide variety of handguns.  Novices shot up to .45 ACP without any fear or difficulty.

We got a 45-minute gun safety and basic shooting lecture from a retired San Diego PD officer who is a professional instructor (taught LEOs when he was in the PD).

The range gave us a fixed price on half of the range (7 positions) for the afternoon and free choice of rental guns.  The bosses cheerfully paid for all the ammo and targets we wanted.

I was the only one to bring personal weapons.  Our senior database administrator fell in love with my Ruger Mark II Target .22, my boss (the Marine) and everyone else who tried it liked my 1911.  The two of them scored very high in the solo sharpshooter competition using my weapons.

The best shooter of the day was my third-level supervisor, the Chinese-born Canadian guy who had never handled a gun before.  I asked him to what he attributed his excellent shooting.  He replied "I am focused."    His groups were very impressive.  He also has steady hands and exceptional vision.

My AR turned out to be a useful conversation piece.  (It's an indoor range that only goes to 25 yards.)  I did my best shooting with one of the rentals, a basic .38 S&W revolver.

Everyone got awards and prizes.  It was a very fun afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Civil liability concerns are so amazingly high for doing something like this, you must work for a smaller company.  I think it's great you go to do this.  But a trial lawyer cuold use this against the company in a major, major way if there is every any gun violence in your workplace.  

I work for an innovative company with leaders who are not afraid of calculable risks.  We have about 200 employees.  I'm sure they would'nt have gone for free-form shooting in the desert.  The range - see www.gotammo.com has professional instructors, proper facilities, and a good reputation.  They do a lot of training.  The owner Mark Halcon is one of the first people the local news media calls when there is a question about a gun law.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The range - see www.gotammo.com has professional instructors, proper facilities, and a good reputation.  They do a lot of training.  The owner Mark Halcon is one of the first people the local news media calls when there is a question about a gun law.

Oh dude, that place rocks. Only place I know of here that has HK rifles and a CX4 storm for rent.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Slut!!!!!

What kind of pig would deflower nine virgins in a single afternoon, anyway?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
THAT'S what ya call GITTIN 'er done !!!.....................
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats on your good work
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Slut!!!!!

What kind of pig would deflower nine virgins in a single afternoon, anyway?

Hey Pic, tell the SEC that Unit 3 says "Meow!"
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#18]
nice!

keep the ammo going
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:48:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Great job, CK - hey, was that the place we went to when I visited you oh-so-many-years ago?

Guys, if you ever get down to San Diego, look the Kid up - great guy and knows how to show an out-of-towner a good time.

Oh, and tell Unit 3 that Lyriel, Arafel, Max, Raven, Stormy, Booties, Winter, Whisper and Romeo say "MEOW!" and Sparkle says "Woof".

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#20]
^5 all around on a job well done...... so after the shoot,did you get to show any of the women the BIG rifle ?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Great job, CK - hey, was that the place we went to when I visited you oh-so-many-years ago?

The same!  I believe my rifle experienced some jamming with Norinco ammunition.  I reassigned that stuff to my Mini-14 and everything's been fine since then.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top