Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 7:31:56 AM EDT
I may be up for a job in Burlington Mass, but I really don't think I want to live in Mass.  What are the firearm laws like in NH?  

Also, what is the cost of living like in NH?

Thanks.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Joe,

Firearms laws in NH are pretty good.  NH has no income tax and very high property tax.  You wil end up paying MA high income tax as well.  NH is an awesome state though.  I would probably move there if the tax problem wasn't there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#2]
NH has no sales tax also.  Ditto for me.

NH is a "shall issue" state, while MA gives complete discretion to local police chiefs.  Out-of-state LTCs are available in MA, but you have to apply to the Colonel of the State Police.  I have no idea as to the likelihood of getting one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
It's doable. I did the same thing for several years ... Lived in Nashua commuted to Burlington daily. To me the payoff was not having to live in Mass.

The firearms laws are very lenient ... The only thing you need to worry about (if you want it) is CCW. I don't carry but i understand it's generally very easy to obtain (all you have to do is go into the local PD and fill out the form) I hear of many people getting their permit in just a few days.

They are still in the process of rebuilding Route 3 which is a problem. The highway is getting wider, but with at least a couple years left on the project the commutes may be good some days and really bad the next depending on what they decide to break that day.

Of course you will still have to pay Mass State income tax which is a drag (The mass Non-Resident/Part Year is 10 times more convoluted than the federal forms). But without a NH State Income tax you at least don't get "Double-dipped".

The cost of living is balanced by NH's high property tax. You get lots of niceties like no sales tax, lower gas-tax, lower utilities on some things, and the comfort in knowing that your taxes aren't going to support crack dealers in Dorchester ... but you do end up paying with your property. Prices have been on the rise in the immediate border towns for the last few years Nashua, Hudson, Pelham, Salem but are starting to level (my house just assessed for 45K more than we paid for it in 2001). Problem is these towns are starting to get overcrowded and overbuilt due to the influx of Mass refugees. If you want more space and are willing to drive more you can look at the towns that are 2-3 towns deeper Milford, Derry, Amherst and possibly get more elbow room.

Check out this Cost Of Living Calculator to see how NH COL compares to what your used to now.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions I'm very familiar with the exact situation you're looking at.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Check out this Cost Of Living Calculator to see how NH COL compares to what your used to now.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions I'm very familiar with the exact situation you're looking at.

Awesome information AshNH thank you
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
NH is shall issue.  Suppressors and machineguns are obtainable.  Property taxes can be very high, but they vary widely from town to town.  In my town they are brutally high (36 dollars on the thousand) but in others they are much more reasonable ranging all the way down to 10-15 dollars on the thousand.   Massachusetts levys income taxes on all money derived from Massachusetts sources, so if you work in MA, you pay MA income tax which is just over 5%.  So choose your town carefully based on property tax rate and property values and you should be OK.

The alternative, living in MA is not really doable since MA gun laws are running neck and neck with California for stupidity. Expect a restrictive AWB in MA shortly and currently MA has some ridiculous standards for handguns including a seperate set of consumer safety standards propogated by the state attorney general.  1911's are generally unobtainable, so are Glocks, and virtually all target pistols.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome information AshNH thank you

Here's a Better Cost Of Living Calculator ... I just realized the first one I posted doesn't have any NH Towns listed in it.

I just thought of a few other reasons to live in NH that make life more fun/less expensive...

No deposit on cans bottles, unlike Mass.

Liquor stores are run by the State, so you get cheaper booze than Mass.

You can buy alcohol on Sunday unlike Mass (though I hear this trend is changing finally)

You can buy beer/wine anywhere (supermarkets, gas stations, convenience stores) unlike Mass where it has to be a liquor store.

And though I mentioned it already, it bears repeating NO SALES TAX.

The Restaurant & Hotel tax is a little higher (8%) but that just means that all the tourists that flock North each Fall to go mental over the pretty colored leaves help contribute to the State coffers so we don't have to.

No Emissions inspection for your car unlike Mass which has gotten really ridiculous with the vehicle inspections lately.

DMV's in NH are much easier than Mass ... Registrations are handled at your Town Hall.

SIGArms and SIGArms Academy is in NH. Ruger also has a manufacturing facility here. Politicians therefore will look out for the interests of  businesses that contribute to the State Economy (can't figure out whu this sin't true in Connecticut)

Budweiser Brewery in Merrimack ... FREE TOURS!!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I considered working in PRM once, but on the sole condition that I be able to commute in from NH. If that was impossible, so was the job.

I refuse to live there. NH is much, MUCH better!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't.  Just don't work in Mass.  Besides so many Massholes are moving to NH that soon it will be just like Mass.  Look at what happened to Vermont.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
New Hampshire should be more free in a few years too, since it was chosen as the Free State:

www.freestateproject.org
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top