Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 10:12:31 PM EDT
Secretory Leukocyte Protease Inhibitor (SLPI) also referred to as "slippy" prevent salivary exchange infections of HIV-1.

I learned that ten years ago.  I read it, commited it to memory for a quiz, and never forgot it.  I don't know why some obscure knowledge just sticks with you but, if anyone ever asks me about salivary enzymes that prevent HIV transmission...well...I know the answer.

What things have you learned in the past that you've never repeated or used outside of a classroom that will always stick with you?

This ought to be interesting if we have at least a half page of participation.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
the most common stance for actors is the shared quarter open...or open quarter shared...whatever
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I few things that come to me now and them, its after 2am so Im out of it until 8am.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Dipodomys Ordii - Kangaroo Rat.
Peromyscus  Truei - Pinion mouse.

I learned that in 10th grade.  I'm 41 now.  Weird.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I also remember that psuedostratified ciliated columnar epithelial tissue lines the respiratory tract.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:37:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Aviation stuff.

Computing a course to fly (no wind) is:

True Course

+ or - magnetic Variation

equals Magnetic course

+ or - compass Deviation

equals Compass heading

Memory aid is True Virgins Make Dull Company.

Run it the other way and it's Can Ducks Make Vertical Turns.

I remember that after one session with my instructor in the mid-70's and have NEVER once forgotten it to this day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Speaking of acronyms, I can always remember the route blood flows through the heart by recalling, "Toilet paper, my ass!"  Tricuspid valve, Pulmonic valve, Mitral valve, Aortic valve.

And the quantity of WBCs with, "Never let monkeys eat bananas = Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, and Basophils.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top