Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 6:51:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Not for $300.00, but the basic unit for $190.00 seems OK.  I am not sure how you would get to that figure from the prices cited.

That Trilux SUIT scope is a big, heavy piece of 1950s optical technology.  The scope body is steel (I believe), the mount is big and solid, and the whole unit weighs in at almost 30 oz.

It was originally designed for use on the L1A1s, and I would be very nervous using it on a .308 as it has fairly short eye relief.  My understanding is that the Israeli version was manufactured in Britain under contract.  The M16/AR15 version is calibrated for 250 and 450 yards (depending on the setting of the BDC).

POI adjustments are fairly crude and are done externally via the mount:  each increment on the adjustment screw corresponds to 4” change in point of impact.  Because the optics are fairly old, and the coatings are not up to modern standards, light transmission is down at around 85%.  This makes me wonder about the utility of the illuminator.

As ambient light fades, the ability to see the target degrades (obvious).  By the time you get to the point where you can no longer pick out the inverted pointer, you will not be able to see the target at all.  I have to wonder what kind of impact the lighted inverted pointer will have on a shooter’s ability to find a target in the scope.

A few notes on the carry handle mount.  If you remove the mount from the carry handle and then replace it, the scope will not go back to zero.  Also, when mounted on the carry handle, the unit is extremely high, and you will require some kind of pad or cheek rest.  The Cherokee standard unit works perfectly for me.

Don’t get me wrong; I like mine a lot for medium range target shooting.  It’s not an Elcan, or an ACOG, and it won’t substitute for an Aimpoint or Eotech (too much mass).  I prefer a crosshair scope for some applications, but this one ain’t bad, and it’s a piece of history.

Don’t bother with the manual.

If you get an illuminator, let me know how it works out.

Also, see:

www.recguns.com/Sources/IIID2b617.html
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I've decided - HELLLLLLLLL NO.
For 190 I have MUCH better options.
Plus that external adjustment thing is a major no-no.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top