Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 5:55:59 PM EDT
10,000 rounded up in Moscow terrorist hunt
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;sessionid=VP5QRG2BWV4G3QFIQMGCM54AVCBQUJVC?xml=/news/2004/09/23/wruss23.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/09/23/ixportal.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=32258

By Julius Strauss in Moscow
(Filed: 23/09/2004)

Moscow police have detained more than 10,000 people in the past few days as part of a get-tough policy in the wake of the Chechen terrorist attack on a school.  

Just under half of those detained are citizens of former Soviet republics who have come to the Russian capital to work illegally. A total of 840 have been deported, police said. Others are Russians without proper documents.

The announcement came as the Russian Duma began debating more than 40 anti-terrorism initiatives yesterday, setting aside all other business.

Proposals include the re-imposition of the death penalty, toughening resident registration laws and making it harder to buy, sell and borrow cars.

The Duma is also to discuss raising the salary of security agents involved in fighting terrorism - in an attempt to cut down on endemic bribe-taking. Officials have said that a failure to penetrate rebel groups coupled with widespread corruption in the security forces has left the country vulnerable to further terrorist attacks.

As if to underline the problem, authorities announced the arrest of a police captain, who is thought to have released two women last month at a Moscow airport. They went on to board flights before blowing themselves up killing 89 people.

Rounding up illegal workers in Moscow - who are thought to number about a million - is the standard response by Russian police after an act of terrorism. But many detainees pay a bribe to be released or return to Moscow from their home country with a fresh passport.

Other measures due to be proposed by Duma deputies include making an inventory of all weapons in Russia. Officials admit that tens of thousands of small arms are missing from stores across the country.

(I think stores means armories here, but....)

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Vladmir Putin should run for Mayor of Dearborn.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe Tom Ridge should hire this guy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Putin is pissed, he might show our homeland security a thing or two.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope they get treated just as fairly as those children in the school.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#7]
GET SOME!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The Duma is their version of our House - more oriented toward "the people" and less like our more sober and wizened Senate.  Lot of talk, maybe some action.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I hope non of them get a trial. What a waste of time.
Send them to the labor camps and feed them bacon.

The Russians periodically slaughter large numbers of each other. Could this be the next wave?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#10]
heres an idea.  Picture Iraq.

200,000 russian troops on the north side.

200,000 American troops on the south side.

We'll meet in the middle.  And on the way there if we encounter anyone with a weapon they get 3 seconds to drop it before we drop them.  "Drop, It, 3"

Then, when we are done with that.  NEXT!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I feel bad about the children massacred and I believe Russia should and will get their vengeance, but I should remind everyone here...

RUSSIA IS NOT OUR FRIEND.

I have a feeling that Putin will use this tragedy to become dictator of Russia and that is NOT a good thing for us. Putin is not our friend. He wants to bring back old Soviet Russia. It bugs me when people talk about this former KGB agent like he's some kind of savoir. He is not. He will become a despot and will be another enemy of liberty.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#15]
"The sum of all fears" had it backwards.

When the nuclear attack comes, it'll be a state pretending to be a terrorist, not the other way around.

Putin is a greater threat to your life than Mohammed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I feel bad about the children massacred and I believe Russia should and will get their vengeance, but I should remind everyone here...

I have a feeling that Putin will use this tragedy to become dictator of Russia and that is NOT a good thing for us. Putin is not our friend. He wants to bring back old Soviet Russia. It bugs me when people talk about this former KGB agent like he's some kind of savoir. He is not. He will become a despot and will be another enemy of liberty.

No but I guess he's gonna wipe out some islamofacists, so excuse me while I don't send him a Christmas card, but for now we have the same enemy and that's just fine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Proposals include the re-imposition of the death penalty,

With quick and speedy trial, no appeal.

toughening resident registration laws

"Papers please."

and making it harder to buy, sell and borrow cars.

Regulation of interstate travel.

Sounds like the old USSR.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
GET SOME!!

+1
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#19]
If that's true.  Those are 10,000 people neck deep in shit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#20]
We ought to encourage the russians to kill as many as they want.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Holy Shit, he gets it and he isnt scared to defend his homeland at any cost. Lets watch and learn shall we.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
What do we need to learn? America is already the best nation at fighting terror. If I recall there hasnt been another attack on our soil, while Russia has been plagued. I think it is the other way around. Russia will learn from us how to fight terror or they will become a Police State like the CCCP.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:56:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
10,000 rounded up in Moscow terrorist hunt
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;sessionid=VP5QRG2BWV4G3QFIQMGCM54AVCBQUJVC?xml=/news/2004/09/23/wruss23.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/09/23/ixportal.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=32258

By Julius Strauss in Moscow
(Filed: 23/09/2004)

Moscow police have detained more than 10,000 people in the past few days as part of a get-tough policy in the wake of the Chechen terrorist attack on a school.  

Just under half of those detained are citizens of former Soviet republics who have come to the Russian capital to work illegally. A total of 840 have been deported, police said. Others are Russians without proper documents.

The announcement came as the Russian Duma began debating more than 40 anti-terrorism initiatives yesterday, setting aside all other business.

Proposals include the re-imposition of the death penalty, toughening resident registration laws and making it harder to buy, sell and borrow cars.

The Duma is also to discuss raising the salary of security agents involved in fighting terrorism - in an attempt to cut down on endemic bribe-taking. Officials have said that a failure to penetrate rebel groups coupled with widespread corruption in the security forces has left the country vulnerable to further terrorist attacks.

As if to underline the problem, authorities announced the arrest of a police captain, who is thought to have released two women last month at a Moscow airport. They went on to board flights before blowing themselves up killing 89 people.

Rounding up illegal workers in Moscow - who are thought to number about a million - is the standard response by Russian police after an act of terrorism. But many detainees pay a bribe to be released or return to Moscow from their home country with a fresh passport.

Other measures due to be proposed by Duma deputies include making an inventory of all weapons in Russia. Officials admit that tens of thousands of small arms are missing from stores across the country.

(I think stores means armories here, but....)

You will recall that we did the same thing after 9/11... Caught alot of illegal immigrants on visa violations, and such...

The Libs are still bitching about it today... (I say let 'em)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Hopefully, although the hostage crisis was terrible, Putin will actually involve himself in fighting terrorist organizations in his homeland and abroad. For an ex-KGB operative he has been uncharacteristically lax and unwilling to cooperate with American forces in the pursuit of terrorists until now.

**Seems like a good policy: round up a lot of the illegal Rag Heads and ship them back where they came from.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:22:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Its a start..
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#26]
US=good cop
Russia=Bad Cop
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:40:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Can you say G-E-N-O-C-I-D-E Russians have done it before, they'll do it again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Agreed. The country only weakly accepted democratic reforms; I suspect that under the banner of fighting terrorists he will repeal any advances his country has made in the last decade.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:07:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Russia is a great Christian nation.  The Russians were warning us about this Islamic terrorism long before 9/11 but we didn't listen.  The USSR is gone and not coming back.  Russia needs to take strong measures to get control of their situation, if Russia falls into a Yugoslavia-style breakup, the war on terrorism is LOST.

The anti-Russia prejudice on this site is one of the things I can't figure out.  They're a Christian nation that suffered horribly from Communism, but there's this strange hostility.  Weird.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:16:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:33:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:11:11 AM EDT
[#32]
ahhhh, Russia.  So little suprising comes out of that hell-hole.  Russians are generally a cross between Asians and lunatics.  Throughout their history they have been barbaric to each other on a scale that would make most mass-murders pale.  The Czars did the same thing that Putin is doing now.  The communists did the same thing that Putin is doing now. Stuff like this has been occuring forever in the Motherland.

As a rider, I am part Russian and my Great-grandfather was a Communist who was involved in the smuggling of Trotsky out of Russia.  He was a Commie until the 1960's when his son, Kenneth Mashlykin, went to Vietnam as an American soldier.  Kenny died there and his father got to lose a son and watch the Commie-loving hippies denigrate his son's memory.  My father learned a lot about Russia and the Russian people from my great-grandfather, the thing that stuck the most is how brutal Russians are.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Russia is as Russia Does, The rest of the country wont think twice about it. They have seen it for centuries.  We should have considered the same thing post 9/11. It might anger the innocent, but it would send a message that we can take out all of you and your families at will.  They have no preference for individual freedoms, but atleast they respect life. Which terrorists do not.  I hope Russia can take the retribution from it, but this will likely further escalate their situation. It would be nice to see the world lay off on our war and focus on everyone elses lack of motivation against Terrorists.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top