Poll coming.

Sgtar15

PS  Discuss and set examples.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats a street?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in little Italy.......nuff said.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Not very. I avoid leaving my element as much as possible. Inner-city streets commonly devour the people who grow up under the harshest of circumstances. I stay away!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Whats a street?

I think he's lookin' for stuff like 'don't dress in plaid shorts and drive a rent car in the 'hood'. But with sgt you never know what exactly what he's looking for...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Streetwise enough I guess. I have managed to spend the last 23 years in shitty neighborhoods, dive bars, strip clubs, and the Middle East without any trouble. Maybe I'm just really lucky.

ETA I find that it helps to look like you know what you are doing, where you are, or where you are going whether you really do or not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't say I have much in the way of examples. In my experience, being streetwise means things DON'T happen to you because you know where to go/not go & how to carry yourself. Those who get involved in lots of dangerous situations in bad areas tend to do so because they are not streetwise & tend to get in trouble. Then it's not a question of how streetwise you are, its more about how good you are in a fight.

I did grow up in one of the worst parts of town & I'm fairly comfortable in bad neighborhoods. I guess thats a big part of it, when you look uncomfortable & out of place, bad things are likely to happen.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I know enough to run like hell when my sweet love asks questions that are obviously a TRAP.

Does that count?

Edit to add;

Does this outfit look good on me?
Want to go out for dinner?
Do you like the way I had my hair cut?

(stuff like that)

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#9]
For a tall cracker from suburbia, id say my streetwise is above average.  I know how to spot trouble and keep it away from me.

I also score extra points with my extensive knowledge of drug nomenclature.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The years from when I was 13-19 y/o I ran with a pretty rough crowd, did tons of drugs, ect...

I stopped hanging out with the type of people I had been with, and stopped doing drugs in my 19th year somewhere.  (I'm 24 now).  I value alot of the experiences I'v had, I had alot of life experience by then.  There are some things I would change though.

Nowadays I wouldn't think about putting myself in the type of situations I had put myself in back in those days.  Thankfully I stopped doing drugs before it completely fucked up my life.  There are still some effects though, such as I am alot more..........careful (read: paranoid) in all aspects of my life.

So I'd say I have a moderate degree of street smart.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The streets are my element.

Mine to .  I love the night time especially.  Nothing like a nice walk or drive at 4am.  Maybe our paths have crossed?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I've lead a rather sheltered existance.  The closest I get to the "street" is pawn shopping when I occationally make it to a big town. I may not be street smart but I damn sure can recognize trouble when I see it.  I'll take rural America anyday.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Condintion Yellow all the time. Alert, aware of my enviornment and prepared to action.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Very.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I spent a lot of time growing up in the lower east side of Manhattan (NYC for you noobs), all my family is from there (as am I).

Coupled with living on the Mexican border for a spell, and 3 years as a aprentice JBT (aprentice... I never got to shoot a dog! ) and 7 years as a trucker.

Yeah, I'm saavy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How street wise are you?  

Not very. But then again I dont have to be. I got MrClean4Hire to take care of my back. He is one bad mutha. I think he grew up in italy or sumfin.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How street wise are you?  

Not very. But then again I dont have to be. I got MrClean4Hire to take care of my back. He is one bad mutha. I think he grew up in italy or sumfin.

I would sit and laugh while the hommies clown kicked you  curb smiles last a long time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Grew up on the Southwest side of Chicago.  

I'm a L.E.O. in Florida for over 22 years.  

My shift is 1830-0600hrs.  I carry a G1ock 19 with 52rounds of 147gr. 9mm Winchester SXT Ranger.  Along with a Glock 26 with 13 rounds of the same as a back up.  I can trust my partners with my life.  

I love the streets at night.  

In our area, we rule the streets at night and we like it.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I know enough to run like hell when my sweet love asks questions that are obviously a TRAP.

Does that count?

Edit to add;

Does this outfit look good on me?
Want to go out for dinner?
Do you like the way I had my hair cut?

(stuff like that)

And the worst trap of all:

"Honey- do these jeans make my ass look too big?"

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
(snip)
Yeah, I'm saavy.

I'm just savvy enough to stay away from those places. I grew up in the country and in the suburbs. But I still go armed everywhere anyway. Shit happens- if you let it!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Street smart enough not to go looking for trouble.  Street wise enough to bring plenty-o-firepower and similarly equipped backup when going to the other side of the tracks is absolutely necessary.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm street-wise and experienced enough to know to stay the hell off the streets. It's one of the main reasons I live out in the country - I work in the city.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I highly doubt you're going to have anyone vote that they aren't.  However I'd bet that many of the people here would be described by their peers IRL as pretty street-stupid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I spent four years as a process server during my college years. I've met and experienced just about every type of low life scum Arizona has to offer. My skills are probably a little rusty though, I've been behind a desk for 4 years now. On a positive note, out of thousands of people(I use this loosely) I have encountered I only had to draw down on two.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine to .  I love the night time especially.  Nothing like a nice walk or drive at 4am.  Maybe our paths have crossed?

Sgtar15

I think I may have misinterpreted your definition of "streetwise". I stay as far away from the projects as possible, but I have absolutely no problem going anywhere in the suburbs anytime day or night.

I don't go for my walk until after 9:00 p.m. and I do all of my shopping and run my errands after midnight.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How street wise are you?  

I would sit and laugh while the hommies clown kicked you  curb smiles last a long time.

Whats a Hommie? Oh, I think you mean Homie.

Watched while they Clown Kicked huh? Yeah I bet you would Wussy.

Homie Clowns scare the hell outta me.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Just streetwise enough to not be the subject of a "Cracka Down"call!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I attended an all black college in Petersburg, VA. I voulnteered for a Fire Department that ran medical calls into Richmond, VA.

I am the most street wise sly honky you will ever seen. I am like a cross between Rick James, Shaft, and a high dollar pimp. Word
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I work in a prison...nuff said.

been in all types max to minimum....medium is the most scary, minimum aint no picnic either.

I love max and will probably go back soon, my kind of trash.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How street wise are you?  

Whats a Hommie? Oh, I think you mean Homie.

Watched while they Clown Kicked huh? Yeah I bet you would Wussy.

Homie Clowns scare the hell outta me.

www.homies.tv/clowns/mainpic.jpg

So you don't know what curb kicked is do you??
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Enough
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#34]
packin ccw
blade
.mil trained

I think I can finish anything started by any Stupid POS whos' dumb enough to start something.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I still carry a shank.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#36]
If you have a CCW permit, they I don't think you are very street wise, imho.  Instead of taking shit and dealing...you pull out your shit and ice the dude...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I worked out in south central for about 5 yrs, half of it graveyard shift

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If you have a CCW permit, they I don't think you are very street wise, imho.  Instead of taking shit and dealing...you pull out your shit and ice the dude...

[jbt]I go home safe, that's all that maters[/jbt]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#39]
My town closes up at baout 9:30 at night, so I didnt learn much there. I have a fair amount of knowledge I know not to go to the bad places at night if I dont have to...hell there are places that the cops wont even go to at night. I also think that streetwise means knowning your limits and what you are capable of, since I have no reason to go there or hurt anyone I dont know I stay in my boring little town.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Im considered the most street wise one out of my circle of friends, they tend to listen to me when my antenae go up.

Raised in inner-city Dallas for my childhood, learned a bit there, enough to keep me and mine outta trouble.

John
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#41]

I can stand my grown..      

I was the crazy white boy peddling on his bike down East Thirtenth St in Oakland, Ca.  Got a real funny look from all the blacks on the street.

Then I had fun another night walking the Tenderloin District  and to the BART station in San Fransico, Ca.   Had a group of thugs follow me for several blocks. For some reason they stopped following me. I had just left O'Farrell Brothers. What a fun place that is. A must see experince.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yeah right, Chief.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Street wise? I'm Rick James bitch!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I think I can hold my own
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm in my 30's now but back in the day,
In my teens I ran with a Street gang from San Francisco's Mission street area. I did get caught up with the lifestyle. Seen friends get beat, stabbed, and shot. We hung out behind Candlestick park where the Niners play, now its called 3 com park . That's where we had most of our rumbles. SFPD never came even if there was gunshots fired. This was mostly in the late 80's. I didn't really know any better at 17. My family(brothers) including cousins were involved with the gang. I was able to move before I really got caught up with the major stuff...

I look back and figured I was really lucky. Out of the 150 guys from my Generation. There are less than 10 still around. They are either Dead, locked up, or some drug fiend stuck at a crack house. Even my cousin was Murdered on July04. He was shot 6 times at point blank. Whoever did it drove his car with his body in the passenger seat to golden gate park and lit the car on fire. His body was burned beyond recognition. Police say they have no leads..But everyone knows its gang related. He left the neighborhood the same time I did. Oh well

I guess you can say I'm streetwise. I know what neighborhoods to avoid at night in the Bay Area. I pretty much know which gang runs what neighborhood and what color not to wear in their hood. When I do drive around I will position my vehicle at stop lights so I can get out of a bad situation. This means leaving at least a car and a half length distance from the car in front of me.  I never pull up exactly next to a carload of thugs. What alot of folks don't realize is that is how most shootings occur.
I'm always be aware of who is following me. On the street if I ever run into thugs I can tell by the way they dress and slangs they use what set they are from. Tattoos are another indicator. I don't look directly in their eyes and try to stare them down. That's what some of them look for. Its a challenge. That is how we used to size up the enemy before an attack. When I go to a restaurant I scan the room for the troublemakers. I'll sit where my back is never turned to them. These are just some of the habits I still do.

Streetwise doesn't mean being crazy enough to fight every thug you see. Its dosen't matter if you can handle yourself. There is always that a crazy guy with a .380 lorcin who is willing to kill and you just happened to be at the right place and time in his way. Avoiding that before it becomes a situation is Streetwise.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Street wise? I'm Rick James bitch!

cocaine is a hell of a drug.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:44:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't concider myself to be very streetwise.  I'm pretty gullible, really.  I almost always give people the benefit of the doubt.  I know that I shouldn't and I'm working on being better, and in fact I have become better, but I'm still not very streetwise.
I do work in Philly, however, and have never gotten into trouble.  I used to be a commercial photographer.  One of my clients was a non-profit organization which offered health care services to indigent residents of the inner city.  I've dragged tens of thousands of dollars worth of photo equipment around the very worst inner city "hoods".  Talk about scary.  Just me and my little white ass schlepping lots of valuable photo gear all over some of the worst slums in the United States of America (North Philly) and elsewhere.  Maybe I AM streetwise, because my system for avoiding problems worked for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#48]
My family grew up in Harlem, spent a good part of my life there.
I got out for a while and did quite well, but unforseen events put me in a position where I had to find affordable housing.....Quickly.

...Very affordable housing.

For now we live in the hood, in a different part of NY, but I am doing everything to get my family out.

I have no choice but to be streetwise.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#49]
I can point out drug deals with the best of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top