Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/22/2004 3:06:14 PM EDT
Adderall for ADD/ADHD. Anybody have any firsthand knowledge of this stuff?

Q:How many kids with ADD does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Wanna go bike riding?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

That is sad, but funny.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I take Adderall...It has changed my life. LITERALLY.  I stopped drinking cold.  I feel great all the time and it's been 2 years.

Have at it and IM me tomorrow.  It works immediately.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have at it and IM me tomorrow.  It works immediately.

Will do.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is sad, but funny.

+1
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#5]
How old are you and why are you taking this mind altering drug?

SGatr15

PS  You dont plan on joining the service do you?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How old are you and why are you taking this mind altering drug?

SGatr15

PS  You dont plan on joining the service do you?

18, its technically Adult Attention Deficit, and no, I do not plan on joining the service. I was on steroids for a decade developing my lungs because I was born a month early, and had serious asthma, they wouldn't want me anyway.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
You will get a lot of shit done, that's for sure.

Nothing like pure amphetamine and dextroamphetamine to kick the day off
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nice. Thats one of my problems, I don't get shit done. I lose interest and wander off. I have four halfway built ARs to prove it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear that.

Oh, look! A chicken.......
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]
what exactly does the drug do?

Will it make me smarter?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My bro-in-law went on the stuff about three months ago, and he is a changed man, 100% for the better. He feels great and told me his work performance has really shaped up. I'm always wary of these kind of diagnoses, but it can really pay off.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's anything like Ritalin count on hitting 10,000 rpms 20 minutes after you take it and not winding down for about 12 hours.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice. Thats one of my problems, I don't get shit done. I lose interest and wander off. I have four halfway built ARs to prove it.

Don't let the uninformed (and the tactless) deter you.  You have a real medical condition and you will take your legally perscribed meds as prescribed.  You will feel immediate relief and you wont get 'high' so don't listen to the ninny's here.

FYI-I worked for a Defense Contractor and had to take a drug screen-Guess what?  I faxed my 'scrip to the testing company and their doc passed me, no problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Will it make me smarter?

Helps those who need it to focus mostly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will it make me smarter?

Won't caffiene do the same thing?

I am just curious as I have heard it gets you "going" mostly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will it make me smarter?

Won't caffiene do the same thing?

I am just curious as I have heard it gets you "going" mostly.

Coffee works on ADD/ADHD like liquor calms you down.  Really hit or miss and impossible to get the dosing correct.  Google ADD/ADHD and take the test.  See if you MIGHT have it or not.  I've seen some of the skills you have so I doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Is their REALLY such a thing as ADD? Isn't the real cause just having way too many distractions in your life?? I'm just asking. Iv'e heard of it but have never known anyone that has it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I took the test today. Choices on the symptoms were never, sometimes, often, very often. All my answers were often and very often.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is their REALLY such a thing as ADD? Isn't the real cause just having way too many distractions in your life?? I'm just asking. Iv'e heard of it but have never known anyone that has it.

You know people who have it, I'm almost certain.  Underachievers who are very smart?  People who are always on the go...but never get anywhere?  Inappropriate humming, whistling and sounds...always tapping and fidgiting.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know people who have it, I'm almost certain.  Underachievers who are very smart?  People who are always on the go...but never get anywhere?  Inappropriate humming, whistling and sounds...always tapping and fidgiting.

Wow... that's me in a nutshell, except replace humming with beatboxing (although not in class).

Taking the test now...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know people who have it, I'm almost certain. Underachievers who are very smart?  People who are always on the go...but never get anywhere?  Inappropriate humming, whistling and sounds...always tapping and fidgiting.

You rang?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#22]
My child has ADD so i have some understanding of the behaviour and the drugs that are used.

Here it is in the simplest terms I know.
The part of your brain that is used to control the rest of your brain doesn't function all the time. The drugs kick start the frontal lobe and everything starts funtioning properly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Absolutely ADHD exists.  

ADHD is a neurological condition the is present throughout the lifespan.  The exact biological cause of ADHD is unknown although scientists have made a lot of progress using brain scanning technology.

I'm not up on the current research but as of a few years ago the belief was that the portions of the brain in the frontal lobe that control attention are underactive in people with ADHD.  Most ADHD medications are stimulants which are believed to stimulate those underactive areas of the brain.

Almost every adult who takes one of those tests discovers themselves answering positive for many of the questions.  We all experience the symptoms of ADHD.  The real test is how often, how severe, and how big a detrimental impact it has on your life in more than one area (i.e.  work, school, social life, etc...).

For some, ADHD medications can literally be life-changing.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Take one of the tests and if positive and your life is being effected see your Doc.  If you were a diabetic you'd see your Doc and take your meds wouldn't you?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely ADHD exists.  

ADHD is a neurological condition the is present throughout the lifespan.  The exact biological cause of ADHD is unknown although scientists have made a lot of progress using brain scanning technology.

I'm not up on the current research but as of a few years ago the belief was that the portions of the brain in the frontal lobe that control attention are underactive in people with ADHD.  Most ADHD medications are stimulants which are believed to stimulate those underactive areas of the brain.

Almost every adult who takes one of those tests discovers themselves answering positive for many of the questions.  We all experience the symptoms of ADHD.  The real test is how often, how severe, and how big a detrimental impact it has on your life in more than one area (i.e.  work, school, social life, etc...).

For some, ADHD medications can literally be life-changing.  

AMEN...saved me and my new marriage.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Speed kills.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Speed kills.

Can't have that quote without the graphic.....

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#28]
ADD is right up there with "depression" IMHO.

People 200 years ago had real problems and these "diseases" didn't exist.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You try being me for a while and see how real it feels.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard lots of times how I probably have one or the other.  Guess it's just a matter of willpower.  Just like some people need AA to get over drinking (another fictional illness), others can do it just fine on their own.

Oh well.  Hope you never get stranded without your pills.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Please do not poison my dog, I only have one left.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Norman believes all medicine since the practice of leeching ceased is useless.  Don't let him get you down.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard lots of times how I probably have one or the other.  Guess it's just a matter of willpower.  Just like some people need AA to get over drinking (another fictional illness), others can do it just fine on their own.

Im going with norman on this one......I've known a bunch of folks that supposedly had it and they were fine, with and without meds.

I'd say the disease exists, but it is much more rare than these people think. Docs seem to hand the shit out like candy anymore
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Speed kills.

Silly comment, And a life lived not to it's fullest potential is a sad life...In fact it's almost no life at all.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drinking isn't bullshit either. I have lots of alcoholics in my family. My father is a recovering alcoholic and he is one of the strongest willed people I have ever met.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I must have missed the CBS special on the dangers of trying Adderall.

I hope it works for you, Combat_Jack.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#38]
One of my friends son takes it and it has helped him dramaticaly, but it has a totally diff. effect on adults, it only speeds you up like mixing coffee and ephederine, very powerful drug, be careful it can be lethal and good luck i hope it helps
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
One of my friends son takes it and it has helped him dramaticaly, but it has a totally diff. effect on adults, it only speeds you up like mixing coffee and ephederine, very powerful drug, be careful it can be lethal and good luck i hope it helps

Death is certain, life is not!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I must have missed the CBS special on the dangers of trying Adderall.

I hope it works for you, Combat_Jack.

CBS...Yup, that's where I get my "FACTS".
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#42]
W-W, thats a quick one!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#43]
+1.........I use Bud Light.........
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#44]
For all these nay saying know it all wanna be doctors here. You really should do some research before giving your diagnoses.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#45]
I was put on Ritalin as a child, I think it worked. As I grew older one day it started working differently. It calmed me down and helped me to focus, I tried taking it in college and all I got was "WHO WANTS TO DANCE?" it started having the normal effect on me made me feel like a tweaker.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#46]
back in high school I used to take adderal and it was great.  My grades where the best they have ever been, my outlook on life was more positive, work performance increased drastically, when there was something that had to be done, I did it and did it well.  The only problem was that my doctor refused to prescribe it to me
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Mark Twain (attributed)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#48]
My obsessive/compulsive disorder helps keep my ADD in check.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#49]
You wanna go Military? better check to see if you can if you're taking that stuff.....

Look into the Feingold diet to help control ADD....there's other dietary things, too.....IM if you want.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You wanna go Military? better check to see if you can if you're taking that stuff.....

Look into the Feingold diet to help control ADD....there's other dietary things, too.....IM if you want.

Nah, I'm not planning to go military. Thanks though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top