Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 2:58:04 PM EDT
Ok, I can  go to Cabelas and get a USMC type knife for 40 bucks. Or I can go to coldsteel.com (As an example) and get a knife for 150 to 200. So, whats the differences between them? Are knives like women, you get what you pay for? Or should I just get the Cabelas knife knowing it'll stick as good as the high dollar blades?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You get what you pay for.  And always by blade, steel actually.  My cheapo knife is good, but the tip bends easily and it dulls easily.

$120 knives dont do that....

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
KA BAR?

Ka bars cost around 45 bucks they are good knives you should get one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep you get what you pay for, I like Cold Steel knives.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
KA BAR?

Ka bars cost around 45 bucks they are good knives you should get one.

Thats it. Sorry, brainfuckingdead today.
But its my weekend, I can be.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
It's all about steel, Good steel isn't cheap and it's harder and more expensive to work with. If you spend that extra money the blade will stay sharper longer.

Jerad
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatcha want it for?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Whatcha want it for?

SHTF type situation. So, killing and cleaning. General purpose stuff really.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, my suggestion in that case is take your $150 and buy 4 K-Bars.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's all about steel, Good steel isn't cheap and it's harder and more expensive to work with. If you spend that extra money the blade will stay sharper longer.

Jerad

Good steel is expensive, but most of the expense in the making of knive is in the hand labor such as in the polishing.

Quoted:
Yep you get what you pay for, I like Cold Steel knives.

Cold Steel has 2nds

The Cold Steel TRAIL MASTER FACTORY 2ND #16C2 for $100+ship is an exceptional deal. This one comes in flat black epoxy finish and is not highly polished like the 1st line. But then the polishing has nothing to do with a knife's cutting ability.

"What's wrong with this knife?" We've often heard this comment from people who have bought one of our factory seconds. They got the knife, inspected it and really couldn't understand why it was ever designated a second. Perhaps the profile is off by 1/16" or there is some surface imperfection. Whatever the reason, the flaw is always cosmetic in nature. The steel, heat treatment and the high performance you'd expect from a Cold Steel® knife have not been compromised one bit. Supplies are limited, order yours today!

Notes:
1.) Except for the Bird and Trout Factory Second, all blades are made from our exclusive Carbon V® steel.

2.) The True Flight Thrower Factory Second (#80TFT2) DOES NOT INCLUDE A SHEATH, the optional leather sheath (#S80TFT) is sold separately.

3.) All Seconds (except for the True Flight Thrower) come with a quality sheath. Sheaths are either leather, cordura, or Concealex depending on model and availability. The sheath featured with a "first" quality knife is not necessarily the same as the one that comes with a "second". Choice of sheath is NOT OPTIONAL ON SECONDS.

Seconds are a BY-PRODUCT of the manufacturing process. We DO NOT specifically make them to order. Therefore we cannot accept backorders on factory seconds. Although all the seconds we offer are listed here, they are not ALWAYS available at ALL times. When certain popular models are in stock they often sell out quickly so it pays to check for availability (Toll Free:1-800-255-4716) and place your order as soon as possible.

At these low prices, all sales of factory seconds are FINAL! We will not accept returns for ANY REASON!

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You get what you pay for.  And always by blade, steel actually.  My cheapo knife is good, but the tip bends easily and it dulls easily.

$120 knives dont do that....

SGatr15

Exactly.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
As always, appreciate it fellas.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Cold Steel has 2nds

Good deal that. BTW, if you want a good utility knife those KUKRI knives rock!

I would highly recommend getting a knife with a full guard if ever think you may need to fight with it. The trail master that warlord mentioned would be my choice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Emerson folders rule.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Emerson folders rule.

Yea , but they scream I like Bombay .
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Emerson folders rule.

Come again?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to be a damn knife junkie. Bought knives til the cows came home.

I had all these fucking knives, but when I went out to the boonies I always strapped on the same damn knife, a Buck 120.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Not interested in a folder. Fixed blades for me. If I need portability I'll get Balisongs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#19]
You've got mail!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Becker Knife & Tool, combat utility BK7 - 0170-6C tool steel.  Cost  $50 - $60

Ontario Randall  RAT7 - D2 steel 6.5" Cost aprox $100. This is a new model, in D2 steel, it's also avalible in a 1095 carbon steel, less expensive.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Emerson folders rule.

Yea , but they scream I like Bombay.

I've got a folding Emerson CQB 3.25". This is Emerson's production knife and its pretty good. Its a single -bevel edge like that of a wood chisel, so it won't but paper etc very straight, but it cuts like crazy.

But for shear strenght the fixed knives are the best.

BTW: The Cold Steel Trailmaster is a huge knife. It has a 9.5" blade and weighs in at more than 1 pound.

THE TRAIL MASTER IN CARBON V®
The Carbon V®Trail Master is, without a doubt, the most knife for the money ever built. In terms of sharpness, edge holding, strength and sheer cutting power, it will outperform any factory made knife we know of and 99% of all hand forged knives as well. Unlike our competitors, we can prove that the claims we have made for the Trail Master® are true. You can see the evidence for yourself in our video entitled MORE PROOF.

CARBON V® TRAIL MASTER

Specifications
Blade: 9 1/2"
Overall: 14 1/2"
Thickness: 5/16"
Steel: Carbon V
Guard: Virgin Brass
Handle: Kraton
Weight: 16.7 oz.
Sheath: Leather

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#22]
i bought my kabar when i was like 12 (1985?)  used to kick around quite extensively looking for critters.  went to afghanistan last year for 6 mos.  finish is shot, tang is a bit loose.  sharpens easy, holds and edge, and if my destructive ass has managed not to break it for 20 yrs it's durable enough.

bevel on almost every cold steel has been off.  sometimes WAY off.  these are stamped cold steel, so i assume they're not seconds.

my kabar may have been the best $18 purchase i have ever made.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i bought my kabar when i was like 12 (1985?)  used to kick around quite extensively looking for critters.  went to afghanistan last year for 6 mos.  finish is shot, tang is a bit loose.  sharpens easy, holds and edge, and if my destructive ass has managed not to break it for 20 yrs it's durable enough.

bevel on almost every cold steel has been off.  sometimes WAY off.  these are stamped cold steel, so i assume they're not seconds.

my kabar may have been the best $18 purchase i have ever made.

Yep, the Kabars are no slouches either, they they are made with 1095 carbon spring steel. This steel is real tough stuff, they road grader blades with this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Emerson folders rule.

Come again?

Bad Red Cell joke .
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]
When it comes to knives you really do alot of times get what you pay for.  The higher end knives have an high alloy stainless blade cryo quenched such a cm154 I believe. It makes the outer surface as hard as a file and the blade still retains its toughness.  I have alot of knives and Benchmade are ok.  I really like Masters of Defense, I have 3 of theirs.  I also have a Boker ceramic, the bade can carve steel but its brittle as all hell.  I amd going to buy a microtech next but buy whatever is in you price range.  Good luck and Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#26]
From what I heard Cold Steel is making the Recon Scout Bowie again, it would be a good all around field knife. Combine it with a Spec Ops Brand Survival sheath and you have a good set up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
From what I heard Cold Steel is making the Recon Scout Bowie again, it would be a good all around field knife. Combine it with a Spec Ops Brand Survival sheath and you have a good set up.

If you don't want a huge 9.5" knife then this is ideal.

In almost every respect, the Recon Scout® is simply a 7 1/2 inch Trail Master® Bowie. It offers the same steel, heat treatment, blade thickness, blade shape and handle. Outside of its shorter blade length, the most significant difference is that the Recon Scout comes with a Secure-Ex sheath instead of a leather one.

We believe the Recon Scout® is the strongest, toughest 7 1/2? combat knife in the world. When your consider the price it?s offered at and compare it to the competition, we think you?ll agree it?s the greatest bargain in combat knife history!

Specifications:
Weight: 15 oz.
Blade Thick: 5/16?
Blade Length: 7 1/2?
Handle: 5? Kraton
Overall: 12 1/2?
Steel: Carbon V
Sheath: Secure-Ex Sheat

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I was ready to purchase a Recon Scout, then found this review, seems like the Kraton handles don't hold up as well as a Full Tang, with two halves screwed together.

www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/trailmaster_recon_scout.html
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#29]
with knives, you only need to know one word.

Strider
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I got a Gerber BMF for sale
G-5928 used but in good shape, no bodies attached
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#31]
154CM American Steel good stuff
ATS-34 Japanese version of 154CM
440-C good with a small g stainless
VG-10 kick ass stainless
S30-v another kick ass stainless
D2 Semi stainless carbon steel, kick ass
1095 Carbon steel, Ka-Bar, Camillus, Ontario, Spec Plus, and rumor has it Cold Steel's "Carbon V"
L6 Carbon steel used in Saw Mill blades. Good stuff.
O1, A1, A2 tool steels.
52100 Industrial ball bearing steel, and a HELL of a knife steel.
420, CRAP
440A,B pretty much crap
420HC grap with a gimmick
Find something you like with the first 12 steels listed above and you pretty much won't go wrong. There is more to life than the Ka-Bar MkII. Leather rots, they are heavier than they should be, and the guard friggin SUCKS, but it's a great blade.
Handle materials:
Stabilized wood(impregnated with epoxy) Good stuff, MUCH tougher than nornal wood
Micarta, paper, linen, or canvas impregnated with phenolic resin, not unlike plywood. Good stuff
G-10 fiberglass sheets like Micarta, again good stuff.

Swamp Rat knives is ALOT of knife for the money.
Many custom makers sell carbon steel knives for Cold Steel prices.
Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works, John Greco, and among many others.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I was ready to purchase a Recon Scout, then found this review, seems like the Kraton handles don't hold up as well as a Full Tang, with two halves screwed together.

www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/trailmaster_recon_scout.html

Almost all cold steel knives are full tang.  I own 5 recon scouts all are out standing knives.  There are not 2 peices screwed together.  The rubber handle is over the top of the full tang.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Like the sarge said...you get what you pay for. I haev a sog seal pup that I bought for $40 bucks and a cold steel recon tanto that I got for $50, then I haev a strider that I got becaus eeveryone said you have to have a strider...I paid $400 for it. I love it, the knife is prett and sharp, but the recon tanto is in my bug out bag and the seal pup is the knife that I use 90% if the time....come to think of it I need another seal pup for the bob.

And I agree with thelastgunslinger emersons rule, I beat on my comander and it never fails me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Like the sarge said...you get what you pay for. I haev a sog seal pup that I bought for $40 bucks and a cold steel recon tanto that I got for $50, then I haev a strider that I got becaus eeveryone said you have to have a strider...I paid $400 for it. I love it, the knife is prett and sharp, but the recon tanto is in my bug out bag and the seal pup is the knife that I use 90% if the time....come to think of it I need another seal pup for the bob.

And I agree with thelastgunslinger emersons rule, I beat on my comander and it never fails me.

I also have a "few"  striders but i have a cold steel  on my web gear and bob.
Yes I am a knife nut.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#35]
forget cabelas( i like the company, but they charge full price!)--look around, theres bound to be someplace cheaper

if its not a folder, get a KA-BAR (fullsize)

if not, go w/ a cold steel survival rescue or sog seal --try CTD.com
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#36]
oh yea, look at the rockwell hardness--recommend 58+

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
oh yea, look at the rockwell hardness--recommend 58+

If you get a knife that is too hard it will be brittle.
NoKarma
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top