Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 2:53:01 PM EDT
The brake lines on my 86 Bronco are rusted pretty badly, and the long one to the rear (naturally) is leaking.  Who's the best source for new replacements?  The Beast is so old, Napa doesn't carry direct bolt in's, only bend your own.

Thanks!

Michael
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
bend your own dude, easy, and cheap, only other source would be a dealer
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the local bone yard where you get your own part, maybe they have one. SINCE THIS A BRAKE PART, BE DOUBLE SURE THAT IS IS IN GOOD CONDITION. Those brake lines use flare nut fittings so be sure to take some flare nut tubing wrenches with you beside your usual tool assortment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]

+1 for bending your own. I just did it for my Grand Wagoneer, cost about $6.00 for the tube, $2.50 for threaded pipe ends, and $15.00 for the  tube cutter and double flair tool. It's cheaper to go this route because once you're in there and trying to get the old one off, you'll probably find/create more leaks in the old tubing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell me more about the threaded ends, these drop over the lines before flaring?  Best place to get the flare tool?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Tell me more about the threaded ends, these drop over the lines before flaring?  Best place to get the flare tool?

I cut out the bad section because I couldn't get one end out of the combination valve. So I had to put a threaded end on the short piece of pipe coming out of the valve. If this is your only vehicle, or a auto parts store is a long way away, buy the extra connectors, tubing cutters, flair tool, brake fluid, etc. Get one extra length of tubing, sucks to be short 3 inches and have to go get more. If you're lucky you can return them. Keep them clean unless needed.

1. The new section of tubing probably will be flaired and have the threaded connectors on it.  If you get the right length and the old piece come out - Fantastic. Tighten in the new, add fluid, bleed and you're done.

2. If you have bad luck like me, you'll need to cut out all of the bad section. Clean up the ends of the existing tube, slide the ends on and flair the ends.

I got the tools and tubing at a local Fleet Farm store. Don't go cheap on the tools. I bought the cheapest flair tools and had to return them. The tubing is so small, the flair tool didn't work right.

Edit: spelling

ETA: I bought a tubing bender, but didn't use it for this. I tried, but it was easier and more accurate to just do it by hand. The tubing bends easily.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I re-did my 71 a few years back and I was shocked at some
of the prices they were asking.I have not looked but have at it.

www.broncograveyard.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top