Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 2:20:34 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a used Diesel pickup, most likely a Ford 250 or 350 single axle.  I can't justify the $40K plus for a new one for my needs.

Can some of you diesel guys post "Buying a Used Diesel Pickup for Dummies" ?

Thanks,

Michael
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
There called used because somebody else decided to get rid of it for some reason.  Buyer be afraid, very afraid.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Here you go..

The DieselStop

Just FYI, if you can find someone thats eligible, get a "friends and family plan" (X-Plan) and get a new one. My '04 F250 PSD 4X4 cost less new through the x-plan then a used '00.

BTW, thats a nice lookin horse in your sig. Thoroughbred?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I get the X plan thru work, so that may be an option.  The horse in my sig is from a pic I lifted off the net somewhere, unfortunately it's not mine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
There's nothing wrong with buying used diesel trucks.  Just make sure you have the skills though, to maintain a high mileage vehicle.

My friend in Montana has an older Dodge 1 ton dually witht the 12 valve Cummins.  The fact that he has worked on diesels since high school (we grad'd in 1990... shit.  I'm getting old!) has enabled him to surpass 380,000 miles on it without a major overhaul.

Just make the best informed purchase you can.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Any of the big three diesel engines (Powerstroke, Duramax, Cummins) will last 400K before needing any serious attention.

Some easy stuff to check:
Check the condition of all the filters, as they are a good indication of how it was cared for
pull the intake off the turbo and shine a light in and inspect the impeller blades for surface pitting/discoloration
pull the oil filler cap and smell for burnt wiring
If you have more time, take it to a mechanic and have him check the glowplugs and injectors.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm in the market for a used Diesel pickup, most likely a Ford 250 or 350 single axle.  I can't justify the $40K plus for a new one for my needs.

Can some of you diesel guys post "Buying a Used Diesel Pickup for Dummies" ?

Thanks,

Michael

Sure, depending on the year all GMC Chevy diesel trucks use a converted gas 350.  Avoid these.  6.2 liter GM trucks and Chevy's are gas engines converted.  New Gm's are different like night and day.  GMC and Chevy run Isuzu diesels Duramax they call them I think.  Dodge has Cummins in various configurations through 2005 and Diamler will begin with the mercedes turbo diesels soon after.  Go Dodge and get an easy 350,000 mile truck with a cummins.

kentlik
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Any Ford buying tips?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody got a Diesels for Dummies type set of pointers?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
That link to the diesel stop is for the best ford diesel site I know of on the net.  They have a checklist somewhere, play on the main page, and it covers things to check on a new truck and they should have some used stuff as well.  They also have forums for all the different types of ford trucks so you can pick the forum for the specific ford diesel in the truck you are looking at and learn about it.

There is a dodge site also, it should be in the links in the ford site.  You have to be a member to post at the dodge site and that takes money, the ford site is free and I am over there on rare occasions.

The chevy info given above may be off.  There was an oldsmobile block used to make a diesel for cars way back in the 70s I think by gm.  This is how gm lost their standing in being able to offer a decent diesel.

If playing with the pre duramax diesels you have the same diesel that the hummer civilian and the military version come with.  I guess there could be differences here and there, I know there is a chevy diesel site but I don't remember it at all.

Overall you biggest problem with a diesel can be from different things.  When ford had the straight 6 diesels cavitation was a word people hated to hear.  It was all from not putting the right additive in your coolant.  Turbos can be a problem if people don't let them cool off before shut down or if the person just beats on things and tries to hot rod the truck.  

Go to the diesel sites, the ford site should have that chevy link if they have the dodge link, and learn from folks who know diesels.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
actually I have read that the chevy 6.2 is not a converted gas, that was an oldmobile 5.7L gas engine that was a converted gasser and apparently it sucked major ass.

the 6.2's are predecessors of the 6.5 duramax and are pretty good engines.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
actually I have read that the chevy 6.2 is not a converted gas, that was an oldmobile 5.7L gas engine that was a converted gasser and apparently it sucked major ass.

the 6.2's are predecessors of the 6.5 duramax and are pretty good engines.

Correct, partially.  The 6.2 and 6.5 are NOT converted gas engines.  The new Isuzu 6.6 is the Duramax though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Which diesel Ford are you looking at the old 7.3L or the new 6.0L.  The 7.3L is a work horse I have 4 friends who drive F250 and one drive a F350 they have had great luck with their trucks and get 20 to 25 MPG. I have a F150 5.4 and get 10 to 14 MPG.
The 6.0L Diesel had a few bugs when they first came out but now they are a great engine. The 6.0 has better preformance then the 7.3L
My Next tuck will be a Ford Diesel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#13]
If you decide to go with a Ford, I have heard that the pre-Power Stroke 7.3's had some injection pump and glow plug system issues.  The 6.9 had a great reputation though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Probably the 7.3, when was the last year for that engine?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:06:44 AM EDT
[#15]
... Stick with the Dodge man, I did the research for you already!

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone notice Diesel fuel just jumped alot in the last few days
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Winston,

I might be more inclined to Dodge if they hadn't f'ed up and quit making the extended cab.  I've got no use for a 4 door.

And yeah, Taxman, I did notice that diesel has gone up.  It has been a bit cheaper than gas, it's now higher.

Michael
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

... So?

... A few cents one way or the other doesn't affect me
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... So?

... A few cents one way or the other doesn't affect me

I just noticed it went from low 1.60s to $1.99, in one jump.

Gas is high but not that high I quess.  Id still perfer it be cheap enough where I can drive a 71 Riveria everyday though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:48:33 AM EDT
[#20]
With a diesel, maintenance is everything. Poorly maintained you will be lucky to get 100,000.... properly a half millon is easy.

See if you can find maintenance records. Ask the owner what intervals they did services at and what brand filters they used.

There is a whole word of difference in fuel filter quality for one, quality filters will keep out much smaller contaminates, thereby extending the life of the fuel system. If you see the cheapest filter made on the system that is a warning.

There are two kinds of diesel owners, those who take pride in thier trucks and go the extra mile to maintain them, and those who abuse the hell out of thier machines. Look for the former, is he is he will talk your head off about the machine.

A third option is do what I did. For my work van I purchased a Ford E-350 diesel with a blown engine. I then had it rebuilt properly so i kneew what I had. 250K miles (almost all fully loaded, over half with a trailer) later my most serious failure has been a few glow plugs and a starter (that didn't get replaced when the engine did). I use quality componets, quality CLEAN fuel, the best filters, syntehtic oil, and am religous about maintenance. The van is getting close to 20 years old and teh engine has over a quarter million miles on it and I wouldn't think twice about jumping into it and heading across country.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#21]
The 5.7 Olds gas motor was a basic blueprint for the 5.7 diesel. They didnt take the gas motor and just convert it. It had reenforced main journal webbings and heavier crankshaft. The diesel block became the basis for NHRA Pro Stock drag racing engines,as the Olds DRCE(Drag Race Competion Engine).

The 6.2 diesel was a different motor. Made by GMs Detroit Diesel(which is now owned by DaimlerChrysler AG)

The Duramax is a Isuzu designed engine made in Ohio.GM had 49% of Isuzu(now down to 12%)In 2003,Isuzu and GM established a new joint venture company called GMI Diesel Engineering Ltd. (GMIDEL) for powertrain systems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top