Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 1:31:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
We visited there this Summer and had a great time.

Did the Flora-Bama Bar survive?

Texashark
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Where does he live?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

President Bush visited. What you did not see on TV was that it was the first day we were allowed back on the island and they held us up until he left. I sat in my truck for two and a half hours (four miles back from the entrance) in the sun along with several thousand others waiting for him to leave. No telling how many votes he lost. Tom Ridge visited the island; thank heaven he didn't come here, there would have been a lynching.

How FUCKING PETTY.

Aw, he got stuck in traffic.

He obviously has a working computer.

Maybe the $$ Bush sends down will make daddy feel better.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
got this email from my dad today. BUSH pissed off a LOT of residents down there. Good thing it's already bush country.

We have electricity, telephone, water (we can not drink the water) and sewer (our sewer has an electric pump, no electricity no sewer). FEMA is doing a great job. They give us bottled water, ice (to cool the water; all the food has spoiled) and MREs (three thousand calories a day). The city, FEMA, Salvation Army and Baptist church have portable kitchens serving three hot meals a day. FEMA has a emergency clinic with a doctor. The Red Cross is not here; no surprise to us. We all hate the Red Cross as all they do is raise money.

We have martial law with a curfew from dawn to dusk. The National Guard patrols with loaded rifles. The TV cable is out so we only get three stations, if you have an antenna. We get CBS, NBC and FOX. It's interesting as we have not seen these channels in years. We now know why nobody watches them. We can not go to most places on the island as the destruction is so bad it is not safe (mostly on the beach). We have two gas stations and I heard the grocery store is open (no meat or fresh vegetables, can goods only).

FEMA says we had sustained winds of 135 MPH with gust to 160 and 180 and a storm surge of water 20 feet high. The only damage I got was some shingles blown off my roof ridge vent and some tree damage. The house was built to with stand 140 mile an hour winds, I guess it worked.

President Bush visited. What you did not see on TV was that it was the first day we were allowed back on the island and they held us up until he left. I sat in my truck for two and a half hours (four miles back from the entrance) in the sun along with several thousand others waiting for him to leave. No telling how many votes he lost. Tom Ridge visited the island; thank heaven he didn't come here, there would have been a lynching.

The word is that homeowners insurance will cover none of the damage. We all have a deductible of two percent of the insured value so my deductible is $2600. I guess the lawyers will be here later this week as I can see law suites forever. I told Betty the insurance companies will try to tie everyone up in court until we get tired and quit.

Everyone is working to clean up the debris. Seems like every few minutes someone with a chain saw and a pickup truck stops by offering to remove my trees, for a price. We need one of those devices that gives out numbers to each person so we can keep everyone in the correct order.

The last picture is a new addition to the property courtesy of the storm. As this is a resort we are sensitive to what we call things so as not to offend the tourist. This is not a port-a-potty, it is an exterior comfort station. Betty thinks with a few repairs and some new wall paper it will be a valuable addition to the property.

The new addition he is talking about is a complte and in tact port a potty that was mysteriously placed in their yard.

A little note to ALL politicians... Stay the fuck out if your visit is going to further hinder the residents of a DESTROYED area.

Lighten up, Francis...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

We have electricity, telephone, water (we can not drink the water) and sewer (our sewer has an electric pump, no electricity no sewer).

He HAS electricity.

Why is he bitching about his sewer needing electricity?

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]
and if Bush didn't show up, you all would be bitchin that he didn't care.

He visited so he could argue for the Billions of MY dollars he will be giving these people.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for updating TBS. I appreciate your offer of help to my brother as well. Just to update you he got home safely and he's not sure about where he will be stationed yet. NAS Pensecola was more or less destroyed, so he will have to finish training somewhere else. They're talking about Moody AFB in GA, Memphis, or possibly Houston for his advanced nav training.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#14]
The_Beer_Slayer - I think I've already made my point, I don't wish to continue and this become personal.

I hope your dad and the area get the help they need for recovery.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad your dad survived the storm, TBS.  I never made it as far west as Gulf Shores but Perdido Key, Orange Beach, and Santa Rosa Island were trashed.  I was dumbfounded every time I met someone who rode out Ivan by choice on a barrier island.

Anyway, good to know that his house and your family are well.

Edited because I didn't realize it was TBS's dad and not TBS.

E-95
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Texashark

Here are some photos I shot of the Flora-Bama on the 19th.  There is damage to the structure and they'll be cleaning sand out of there for a while but she still stands.  I didn't have one of our engineers with me to professionally evaluate the structural integrity but it looks like they should be able to clean it up if they are willing to invest the funds.

Gulf side photo of porch bar in back and original structure to the right.

Closeup of the porch bar in back.

A couple of shots from the road.

E-95
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#17]

The word is that homeowners insurance will cover none of the damage. We all have a deductible of two percent of the insured value so my deductible is $2600. I guess the lawyers will be here later this week as I can see law suites forever. I told Betty the insurance companies will try to tie everyone up in court until we get tired and quit.

why does homeowners not cover? do you need specific extensions for flood, hurricane, wind, etc? are most people out of luck here?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Well I once sat on my plane for several hours so some asshat Democrat could get his haircut on AF1.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Texashark

Here are some photos I shot of the Flora-Bama on the 19th.  There is damage to the structure and they'll be cleaning sand out of there for a while but she still stands.  I didn't have one of our engineers with me to professionally evaluate the structural integrity but it looks like they should be able to clean it up if they are willing to invest the funds.

Gulf side photo of porch bar in back and original structure to the right.

Well I should have guess it was still there since CBS reported it was gone.....
Hell It looks like it is ready for bussiness, all they need is ice for the urinal he he
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=30120

Closeup of the porch bar in back.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=30121

A couple of shots from the road.
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=30122
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=30123

E-95

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Um, President Bush refused to go anywhere the residents could not return. Methinks someone added up "President Bush visits" and "bad traffic" and linked the two incorrectly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Um, President Bush refused to go anywhere the residents could not return. Methinks someone added up "President Bush visits" and "bad traffic" and linked the two incorrectly.

Exactly.  If the Pres moving around was that big of a traffic snarler then DC would be in perpetual grid-lock.  I have seen many presidential motorcades, and been stuck in traffic because of a few and the longest I was ever stuck was for Clinton--10 minutes (I was right at the front of the jam and really wanted to climb on the roof of my car and give him the finger, but I didn't).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Here are some photos I shot of the Flora-Bama on the 19th.  There is damage to the structure and they'll be cleaning sand out of there for a while but she still stands.  I didn't have one of our engineers with me to professionally evaluate the structural integrity but it looks like they should be able to clean it up if they are willing to invest the funds...

If?  IF???  They HAVE to invest whatever it takes to rebuild!  The Annual Interstate Mullet Toss MUST go on!!!  

Mike - sorry to hear about the damage but glad to hear your Dad is okay!  

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:53:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Texashark

E-95

E-95: Thanks for the photos and info.
I realize the fate of the Flora-Bama isn't too important considering what a lot of these people lost,
but it is kind of an institution..
Anyway, the place looks kind of like it did pre-hurricane.
Sweep some sand out and they'll come .
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
E-95: Thanks for the photos and info.
I realize the fate of the Flora-Bama isn't too important considering what a lot of these people lost,
but it is kind of an institution..
Anyway, the place looks kind of like it did pre-hurricane.
Sweep some sand out and they'll come .

Yes, it is an area landmark.  I've spent many a late night there from my college days until now and I would hate to have seen it gone.

But it puts it in perspective when the federal LEO I talked to for a while at the Florida / Alabama border that day tells me of the guy they found on the island wandering around in a daze looking for his wife that he lost during the storm.

E-95
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top