Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 1:18:22 PM EDT
The first option, you work to make a living and have time to enjoy life.
The other option, is when you have to work just to make ends meet.

So which is it?

Right now, I'm on option 2.

But, it is getting better.

Bilster
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all about how high your compensation is.  I live to work because it allows me to do pretty much anything I want when not working...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Work to live!

I have used that statement so many times.

I don't make alot of money, I do just fine.....but life is all about enjoying your time, your family and especially YOUR GUNS.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I work to live and go to college
my quality of fun is fairly low now, but after college and a better paying job things should pick up in the enjoyment department.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I just retired.

So, I live to shoot, play golf, play with the grandkids, etc, etc.

Ain't life great!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]

all i know is i get payed weekly....VERY weekly

Good one!...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I work for the weekend.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done both, but right now mostly the former.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#9]
"i work to live, not live to work"
I have always said that.  I go to work, do the best i can, then go home.  I do not work my life away.  When i'm at home, i think nothing of work.  Between my wife and i, we live a comfortable life.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I enjoy my work about 50% of the time, but I work to live.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I work for only one reason....because I would go broke if I didnt.
I enjoy what I do, I actually have a pretty good job, and the days are pretty easy compared to some of the work I have done....but no matter how much of a good day I have...it is still spent working for someone else. If my boss says my bonus is either a weeks pays, or a week worth of comp days....I take the time off EVERY TIME!

Nothing wrong with a career....I certainly picked a decent one...but the day that lottery ticket comes up a winner, I will never work for anyone else ever again...it would be hobbies and side projects for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Was just thinking about this today.  I used to live to work, now I work to live.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I enjoy enough of my job to keep motivated.  I wouldn't do it for free, however.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Was just thinking about this today.  I used to live to work, now I work to live.

I'm the exact opposite.

I've found that since I'm now in management, with 6 construction projects under me it's hard to not take it home.  I wake up in the middle of the night remembering things I forgot that day.  I'll be out drinking and think of something I need to do on Monday.  It sucks.  It winds up meaning I'm aggrevated at work all the time, and even more of a miserable SOB at home.  Working to 9:30 at night some nights doesn't help.  Nothing like a 14 hour day to help you enjoy life.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm the exact opposite.

I've found that since I'm now in management, with 6 construction projects under me it's hard to not take it home.  I wake up in the middle of the night remembering things I forgot that day.  I'll be out drinking and think of something I need to do on Monday.  It sucks.  It winds up meaning I'm aggrevated at work all the time, and even more of a miserable SOB at home.  Working to 9:30 at night some nights doesn't help.  Nothing like a 14 hour day to help you enjoy life.

A regular day for me is getting home at 8, and for at least three months of each year I get home anywhere from 10pm to midnight, with many nights 2 or 3am.  When I was single without a family late nights didn't matter much to me, but now they do.  Over the last 10 years I've averaged 800-1000 hours of OT a year (all of it unpaid, since I'm FT exempt) , which works out to about 60 hours every week - including the weeks I was on vacation.

Needless to say, this wears on you after a while.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Option #2 and it sucks more 'n more each day.  At least this job lets me surf the net for a stellar 8 hrs a day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I work to live.....No matter what your income is, life is too short.  It is what you make it.  Enjoy it while you can.  Don't drain yourself.  If your going through a hard time, keep your chin up and take the hits with a grin!

I actually live in a trailer so I can afford my toys!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I work because they make me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top