Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2004 6:04:56 AM EDT
?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Better than some American cities like Chicago or Washington.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Handguns are essentially illegal. All others must be registered. That's about all I need to know.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The Liberals up there want all hunting and guns banned.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe there are no cosmetic or magazine restrictions, though. You can get certain imported semi-autos like Augs that can't come into the US anymore.  Not sure about that - maybe a Canadian can enlighten us.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]

I don't know about the overall gun laws in Canada but from personal experience from this past summer, I do know that they will not let you bring guns across the border into Canada.

At the border crossing, (to visit the Canadian side of Niagra Falls)  the Canadian customs agent asked me if I had any "guns".  I didn't have any, so I said "no".  She then went on to say that if I did, they would hold them for me at the border until I came back across.  After a little more chit-chat she let us across.

I have also seen a post on a LE message board from a Canadian customs agent and he stated that if you lie and they search your vehicle and find any guns, they will confiscate and arrest you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi All,
As a Canadian firearm owner, I can answer this questions.

Pistols are not illegal to own at all, you just need to have them properly registered and have the right kind of licence.

We are now required to register EVERY firearm, including rifles and shotguns.  There are basically three classes of firearms, non-restricted, restricted and prohibited.  Non-restricted are your regular hunting rifles and shotguns, and some semi-autos like the ruger 10/22 and a few others.  Restricted are pistols, semi-auto rifles (AR-15s) and other evil rifles.  Prohibited are full auto, certain sub-guns and certain other evil rifles (like the Steyr Aug).  Some pistols with short barrels or .32 or .25 caliber are prohibited.

For a new shooter, you have to take a hunter safety course before taking a non-restricted firearms course, written and practical test.  At the point you APPLY for a non-restricted licence and wait for background checks, etc.  Then you can take your restricted firearms course, test and practical and apply for a restricted licence.  It took over 6 months to process my paper work.  

For prohibited status you had to own prohibs when the law came into effect, otherwise you are shit outta luck.  If you have prohib status and die, your kids cannot inherit your firearms, they have to be destroyed.   Eventually there will be no one left with prohib status.  I know active military people who are in the infantry who cannot own what the shoot in the field!

Other laws are for transport of any restricted or prohibited class firearms, you have to get an authroization to transport.  If you want to take it to the range, you need to call and get an ATT to transport it from your house to the range.  Or if you want to take it to a gun smith, you need to call to get an ATT for that.  We can sometimes get a 1 year ATT for back and forth to a club range.

Some fun AR-15 laws:
5 round limit on all magazines
Can only be shot at a range, not allowed to hunt with it
Even though it is semi-auto, it is restricted while the Garand is not restricted.

Any questions kids?

Dez
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, they are worse than I thought. Are magazine restrictions only on AR15's or are there similar laws about other semi-autos as well?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Whats an "ATT"?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry,
ATT is Authorization To Transport.

If you get caught with your AR-15 at your buddies house without an ATT, expect to lose ALL your firearms and licences.

Dez
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#11]

At the border crossing, (to visit the Canadian side of Niagra Falls) the Canadian customs agent asked me if I had any "guns". I didn't have any, so I said "no". She then went on to say that if I did, they would hold them for me at the border until I came back across. After a little more chit-chat she let us across.

Several years ago I went up to shoot in the canadian national shooting championships in Winnipeg. At the border we had to declare what firearms we were bringing in and I think we had to copy the serial numbers down onto a form. Not really any problem. I heard some of the pistol shooters got hung up at the border for quite awhile getting things straightened out.

That was sevearl years ago though, and things have probably changed since then
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Can you carry a gun in your car, like a 30-30 or something?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#13]
But you can buy a SIG 550 in Canadia!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No. Not unless you are going to the range or hunting and only with permission.

When I last dealt with it all you needed was an FAC which is like a FOID card in Illinois.
I knew a guy that had a grandfathered full auto ticket. The first AR type I ever shot was an M16 he had. He had some cool stuff, M2, 1919, M60, AK, M16s, Tommy gun and others I cant remember. Its fucked up there now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#15]
We can get some stuff that you folks in the USA cant get like Norinco stuff.

My AR is a Norinco.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/145441.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/img/145437.JPG

Dez
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have also seen a post on a LE message board from a Canadian customs agent and he stated that if you lie and they search your vehicle and find any guns, they will confiscate and arrest you.

Been there, done that.

1400 bucks and I'm out the next day light a Ruger .9mm and a Russian SKS (even though the SKS IS legal there.) They took my bullets too!

I was the only one in jail that night, nice folks.

This did not keep me from getting a passport though, no biggie. The mounty said "it's what you in the US would call a felony" I told him I had no intentions of going to court for this and he recommended I stay out of Canada for 10 years.

Hasn't been an issue yet.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#17]
AHH The Peoples Republic of Kanukastan, 9 out of 10 terrorism say its the best place to bide ones time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#18]
A little loop hole that was left in the law is, 5 round mag for everything except garands and rimfire rifles, So you can have 25 round mags for you 10/22.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#19]
The mag limit of 5 rounds for AR-15 mags is kind of a joke too.  You are requried to pin mags so they are not "easily" modifyable back to full capacity.

It is still necessary to clean the mags so about 20 seconds with a dremel and the rivot is gone and back to full capacity.

Lovely.

Dez
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:41:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Dez,

Is the license a license to buy or a license to own, or does it allow you to do both?

Is the license a lifetime license or does it have to be renewed periodically?

Do your registrations have to be renewed periodically or are they one time registrations?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

My AR is a Norinco.

Dez

WTF? Is that thing plastic?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Hi,
The restricted, non-restricted and prohib licences are Posession Only Licence (POL) and Posession And Acquisition (PAL).  The PAL allows you to buy or have registrations transferred to you.  The POL is for stuff you already have.

Yes there is an expiry day on my PAL, not sure about individual firearms registrations though.

The government spend around 2 Billion on the firearms registry, and some folks I know had to register the same firearms more than 5 times as they government systems changed.  

The Norinco looks kind of funny in the picture because the upper and lower reciever are painted a blue-grey color instead of being blued or parkerized.  I plan to do something about the color soon.

It shoots real well and was only $500 Canadian, new, unfired, about $350 USD.  

Dez
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#23]
So you can get certain guns that we cannot acquire here, like SIG 550's?

But then you can't get Steyr Augs? Why?

*passes out*
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So you can get certain guns that we cannot acquire here, like SIG 550's?

But then you can't get Steyr Augs? Why?

*passes out*

Norinco M1As are about the same price, maybe a bit less. Pass out on THAT!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah our gun laws were just fine untill the feds caved into the whims of the bleading- heart vocal -minority-pussies-who-live-in-the-cities-of-eastern-Canada-and-don't-know-what-a-gun-is-anyway, who wanted a solution to all the violent crime ( sound familiar to anyone in the U.S.?). The gov't's  solution was to impliment this 10 million dollar registration program and " that would cure everything ma'am". Well it has ended up costing well over a billion dollars, only the easterners have registered any of their shot guns and rifles (everyone has always had to register handguns, AR15's, etc. as theyare restricted and are registered prior to sales) and their streets are no safer  than they were before.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
AHH The Peoples Republic of Kanukastan, 9 out of 10 terrorism say its the best place to bide ones time.

We only let them in here so the FBI can pick 'em up and send them to Syria  to be "interogated".
They think the're safe here and let their guards down. Some are squeelin' like pigs on T.V. saying they're innocent and were wrongfully detained, but we know better don't we?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if the perps get a ATT ??  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

My AR is a Norinco.

Where did you get it . Where is it made? At that price a guy can't go wrong. Beats $1750. for an Armalite, etc.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Not unless you are going to the range or hunting and only with permission.

When I last dealt with it all you needed was an FAC which is like a FOID card in Illinois.
I knew a guy that had a grandfathered full auto ticket. The first AR type I ever shot was an M16 he had. He had some cool stuff, M2, 1919, M60, AK, M16s, Tommy gun and others I cant remember. Its fucked up there now.

The law says that you CAN transport your rifle /shotgun without "permission" . It cannot be loaded and it can only be left unattended in a vehicle if it's in the trunk . If the vehicle does not have a trunk such as a pick up it cannot be "visable from the outside of vehicle ( which is why very few gun racks ) You only need persmission for restricted / prohibited firearms

I know lots of people who drive around with a rifle / shotgun in their car.

As far as bringing guns across the border, I know quite a few Americans who come to Canada to hunt who bring their rifles up. You just have to do the paperwork

BTW there are over 7million firearms that are registered. Even not counting all the unregistered ones that still quite a few per capita ( population about 30million )

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Hi,
My Norinco CQ-311 (AR-15 clone) was made in China in the late 80s.  It shoots very well and the dimensions are right on compared to a M16-A1.  

There do not seem to be many available new right now.  The rumor was that around 500 made it into Canada and there are more waiting to come.  

If you look on the buy/sell section of CanadianGunNutz.com, there are usually a couple around, usually for $600-700.

The finish on it is not great, some machining marks on the outside like inside the carry handle that was not cleaned up very well, but that does not effect the accuracy or operation.  

So far I have had not problems putting on normal AR parts like the hogue grip, Rock River Arms stock, Ciener .22lr kit, hand guards, scope mount, mags, etc.

Dez
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top