Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 8:05:40 PM EDT
Thinking of going to Cancun over Christmas.

Anyone been there and have any suggestions for Lodging, Diving, etc...

And what is the positives and negatives of the place.

The G and I are trying to sort through all the hotels and stuff...I need a drink already!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
We're heading there October 24th for a week of R&R.

Staying at Tucancun Beach. Got a good deal on the all inclusive - $850 per person for a week through Apple Vacations and my local agent, charter direct flight.

Went there extensively about 15 years ago (once a year for 5 years straight).

Things have developed considerably since then... much more commercialized. They have Outback Steakhouse and Walmart for chrissakes...

Good news... it's Caribbean.

If you like the nightlife, Cancun is great. If you want quiet... check out Playa a little further south.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Its like the US in Mexico.  Everyone speaks english and there are stores and resturants that you would see on your street.  When I first when there, you could take a cab anywhere for $1US.  But its gotten much more developed and expensive.  If you take a boat ride the mexican kids will swim up to the boat and beg for money.  Being dumbass druck college students we thought it would be funny to throw bottle caps instead.  You never heard such swearing from a 5yo kid!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't stand tourist traps. I don't like cruises either. I guess both are too fake for me. I need my vacations to be real in order to be interesting. Not an area whose sole purpose it is to specifically target my wallet and has little unique memories to offer; In other words: all tourist traps look the same to me. But that's just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Highschool senior trip was there, I didnt go and dont regret it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a fun time snorkling at Xelha and looking at the mayan ruins of tulum. Did the 2 person speed boat and 3 wheeler thru the jungle trip. Stayed at playa del carmen. I didnt really care to leave the resort as mexico is in a civil war right now. IMO renting a car outside of the resort is not a good idea.

It was a good time. My only regret is not going SCUBA diving. They can train you same day and then you head out.

BTW I went for a week on a trip I won on the radio. All meals, airfare and hotel for free.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Mine was too and I'd regret it like crazy if I missed it.  If you're going with a girlfriend, somewhere more peaceful might be a little better, cause it gets plenty rowdy.  The place is paradise if you're going with your buddies.  Perfect beaches, booze everywhere, chicks everywhere, it can't be bad.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine was too and I'd regret it like crazy if I missed it.  If you're going with a girlfriend, somewhere more peaceful might be a little better, cause it gets plenty rowdy.  The place is paradise if you're going with your buddies.  Perfect beaches, booze everywhere, chicks everywhere, it can't be bad.

Single and plan on staying that way.

They didnt care for me and a friends comments on where we should go when they asked for suggestions.  We said Amsterdam, everyone else wanted to go to Cancun because you can drink there,
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a few hours away, but try to get to Chitzenitza (I think I spelled that right).  It's one of the biggest Mayan ruins down there, and it has one of the few remaining pyramids that they will let you climb around on.

It's pretty steep but the view is pretty amazing once you get to the top.  It took me quite a while to climb it since I was recovering from a knee injury and had my knee wrapped, but I wasn't about to go all the way there and stand at the bottom.

The ruins at Tulum are nice too.  There are many others, but not within a day trip from Cancun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:59:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Chichén Itzá
That place alone made the trip worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:03:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the best ruins of all are at Coba.

Climb to the top and look out across the canopy of jungle as far as the eye can see. Very Indiana Jones.

The beach at Tulum is absolutely breathtaking though.

Snorkling in the cenotes is fun.

If you get the chance, go to Cozumel for a couple of days. The best 'shopping' is down there, especially when no cruise ships are in port. You can get stuff for mad cheap.

Be sure to buy a big bottle of vanilla extract when you are there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:11:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can't stand tourist traps. I don't like cruises either. I guess both are too fake for me. I need my vacations to be real in order to be interesting. Not an area whose sole purpose it is to specifically target my wallet and has little unique memories to offer; In other words: all tourist traps look the same to me. But that's just my opinion.

+1 here. I don't need to be sheltered from the fact that the rest of the world has a lot of poor people and I don't need to go to some sanitized version of an "exotic" place.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:19:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I go all the time. I don't like Cancun though, it's too loud and obnoxious for me. I go to either Playa del Carmen/Playacar or Cozumel. The diving off Cozumel is some of the best in the world. Very laid back on the island, a little less so on the mainland.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Mrs. Wedge and I went there on our honeymoon.  We both hated every second of it.  Could not wait to get back in the States.  We had to try and kill as many brain cells as possible with large amounts of alcohol everyday just to make it bearable.  After that we both agreed that we would not step foot outside of America for the rest of our lives.

Stay in America.  No place better on earth.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:21:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I go all the time. I don't like Cancun though, it's too loud and obnoxious for me. I go to either Playa del Carmen/Playacar or Cozumel. The diving off Cozumel is some of the best in the world. Very laid back on the island, a little less so on the mainland.

+1 Here. Wife and I go to Playa every year. Twice this year! Much more adult and laid back.

Love those European women on the beach too!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:26:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Cancun - where Americans go to get drunk and illustrate the old addage of the "ugly American."

Once you get outside touristy Cancun, the poverty is profound.

Downtown Cancun has open sewers on the side of the street. The local Walmart has open meat with flies on it lying on the counter.

And DO NOT drink the water.

And DO NOT think youa re protected from teh sun when under a grass roof.

Other than that, Cancun sucks.  

We did enjoy the scuba diving, Ix Caret, and swimming with the dophins.

God Bless the USA.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1

My trip to Cancun consisted on someone trying to get into my wallet every 5 minutes. I wouldn't go back. It is a beautiful place though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:54:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Good info...I suspect that's what happens in Cancun...

Has anyone dived cozumel or play de carmen?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I preferred Cozumel. Less gringo, Paya del Sol is excellent for BOTD observations, the Mexican AF flies their jets down the beach near stall speed w/ canopies back and waves at the girls. Hit Charlie's for sure!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top