Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 7:14:14 PM EDT
with John Wayne, watching it right now. Had to go to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things on the way home and they had it in their DVD bargain bin, couldn't pass it up.........
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the video back in the 80's sometime at Wal-Mart. The first half of the movie is actually a good potrayal of what special forces A-teams did in Vietnam. But the last half kinda gets out there. Still, considering it was made in 1968, it's a pretty decent movie. Sadly, John Wayne was about the only decent actor in the movie. They must have grabbed those other guys off a street corner and asked them if they wanted to be in a movie.

Oh, BTW, i loved the scene where they used that C-130 to yank the Vietnamese General off the ground and extracted him from the jungle. That looks cool even today! They actually had such a device too, although I think it was intended for emergency extraction of troops who were caught in heavy shit and couldn't extract my helicopter. Not sure it was ever used in actual combat. Funny that the C-130 scene used the sound from a B-52 bomber as it passed overhead. I guess they think the prop driven planes sound no different than an 8 engine turbojet bomber! Anyone else notice this?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
How can you dis Sulu like that!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
"A Green Beret is a hat"  Yeah I might pick that one up too.  I havent seen it in along time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought it last week and watched it.  It was the first show I ever saw at a drive in.  I was 5.

Great show!

I'll probably watch it tonight as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, the part where that GB was giving those media tools a tour of the base and demonstrating stuff was awesome. He didn't care to voice his opinion.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
You can never have too many Claymores.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Surprised nobody has posted this yet.  
Ballad of the Green Beret

Staff Sergeant Barry Sadler and Robin Moore
copyright 1966  

Fighting soldiers from the sky
Fearless men who jump and die
Men who mean just what they say
The brave men of the Green Beret

CHORUS:
Silver wings upon their chest
These are men, America's best
One hundred men will test today
But only three win the Green Beret

Trained to live off nature's land
Trained in combat, hand-to-hand
Men who fight by night and day
Courage peak from the Green Berets

CHORUS

Back at home a young wife waits
Her Green Beret has met his fate
He has died for those oppressed
Leaving her his last request

Put silver wings on my son's chest
Make him one of America's best
He'll be a man they'll test one day
Have him win the Green Beret

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah, the part where that GB was giving those media tools a tour of the base and demonstrating stuff was awesome. He didn't care to voice his opinion.

Yup, thats one of my favorite parts.  Another is John Waynes initial visit to the fire-base, he starts telling them to cut back the vegetation more, add more .50 cal machine guns, double the number of claymores on the perimeter........
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
And only John Wayne can make the sun set in the east. Aldo Ray, who plays one of the sargeants in the show is one of my favorite actors from back then. I think he was a frogman in WW2.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Puff the Magic Dragon....bringing it....sweet
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the movie "The GREEN BERETS" was the first movie to show an SKS rifle? remember when Aldo Ray shows the news reporters the SKS? and dumps a box of Czech ammo on the table...

I like the song at the begining of the movie too, it's a classic.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#13]
"Was my Peta-san brave?  Peta-san, Peta-san!!"
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I was impressed that they could do so well with the American wardrobe in such a cheesy movie. The uniforms and gear were pretty damn good. The skyhook C-130 was also impressive.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How can you dis Sulu like that!

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top