Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 6:01:46 PM EDT
Are you guys watching Cat Stevens being detained on Fox?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
For what???
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The proverbial person of interest on a terrorism list...

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133095,00.html

Watch-List Passenger ID'd as Cat Stevens

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

WASHINGTON — A plane bound for Washington from London was diverted to Maine on Tuesday after passenger Yusuf Islam -- formerly known as pop singer Cat Stevens (search) -- showed up on a U.S. watch list, federal officials said.

United Airlines Flight 919 had already taken off from London en route to Dulles International Airport (search) when the match was made between the passenger and the watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration.

The plane was met by federal agents at Maine's Bangor International Airport (search) around 3 p.m., Melendez said.

Federal officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, identified the individual as Islam.

One official said Islam, 56, was identified by the Advanced Passenger Information System, which requires airlines to send passenger information to U.S. Customs and Border Protection's National Targeting Center. TSA was then contacted and requested that the plane land at the nearest airport, the official said.

"He was interviewed and denied admission to the United States on national security grounds," said Homeland Security spokesman Dennis Murphy. He said the man would be put on the first available flight out of the country Wednesday.

Islam, who was born Stephen Georgiou, took Cat Stevens as a stage name and had a string of hits in the 1960s and '70s, including "Wild World" and "Morning Has Broken." Last year he released two songs, including a re-recording of his '70s hit "Peace Train," to express his opposition to the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

He abandoned his music career in the late 1970s and changed his name after being persuaded by orthodox Muslim teachers that his lifestyle was forbidden by Islamic law. He later became a teacher and an advocate for his religion, founding a Muslim school in London in 1983.

Islam recently condemned the school seizure by militants in Beslan, Russia, earlier this month that left more than 300 dead, nearly half of them children.

In a statement on his Web site, he wrote, "Crimes against innocent bystanders taken hostage in any circumstance have no foundation whatsoever in the life of Islam and the model example of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him."
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
HAHAHAHAHAA
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#4]
DENIED Beeyatch
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The proverbial person of interest on a terrorism list...

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133095,00.html

Watch-List Passenger ID'd as Cat Stevens

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

WASHINGTON — A plane bound for Washington from London was diverted to Maine on Tuesday after passenger Yusuf Islam -- formerly known as pop singer Cat Stevens (search) -- showed up on a U.S. watch list, federal officials said.

United Airlines Flight 919 had already taken off from London en route to Dulles International Airport (search) when the match was made between the passenger and the watch list, said Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration.

The plane was met by federal agents at Maine's Bangor International Airport (search) around 3 p.m., Melendez said.

Federal officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, identified the individual as Islam.

One official said Islam, 56, was identified by the Advanced Passenger Information System, which requires airlines to send passenger information to U.S. Customs and Border Protection's National Targeting Center. TSA was then contacted and requested that the plane land at the nearest airport, the official said.

"He was interviewed and denied admission to the United States on national security grounds," said Homeland Security spokesman Dennis Murphy. He said the man would be put on the first available flight out of the country Wednesday.

Islam, who was born Stephen Georgiou, took Cat Stevens as a stage name and had a string of hits in the 1960s and '70s, including "Wild World" and "Morning Has Broken." Last year he released two songs, including a re-recording of his '70s hit "Peace Train," to express his opposition to the U.S.-led war in Iraq.

He abandoned his music career in the late 1970s and changed his name after being persuaded by orthodox Muslim teachers that his lifestyle was forbidden by Islamic law. He later became a teacher and an advocate for his religion, founding a Muslim school in London in 1983.

Islam recently condemned the school seizure by militants in Beslan, Russia, earlier this month that left more than 300 dead, nearly half of them children.

In a statement on his Web site, he wrote, "Crimes against innocent bystanders taken hostage in any circumstance have no foundation whatsoever in the life of Islam and the model example of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him."

But his statement has to be taken in context. In the ARAB world where he is living (not to generalize Islam) you grin fvck your enemy then stab them in the back.

"Crimes against innocent bystanders taken hostage in any circumstance have no foundation whatsoever in the life of Islam and the model example of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him,  but if you'd like to knife innocent children afterwards have fun."
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess Cat Stevens has been off chasing "Moon Shadows" too long and it finally went to his brain.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]
first cut is the deepest...... you jail bird Islamofacist
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm just glad to see us not playing favorites due to fame or notoriety of any kind.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
IBTL.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]

bye-bye!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
One traitor who ain't getting in the US.  A triumph for freedom!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why did Fox detain him?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did Fox detain him?

I have been counting the minutes for someone to troll in with that one.  Thanks!  it did take longer than I thought
Grammar Nazi's to the rescue!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did Fox detain him?

Just noticed that
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#18]
[catstevenssinging]Morning has BRO-KEN...  I hate all Christians...[/catstevenssinging]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#19]
was a dog a donut
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I never spent a cent on his music. But my Sister let me use his records for a little skeet practice!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:46:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Salman Rushdie rules!!!!!!

Take that, you Islamofascist!

(Stevens endorsed the fatwah [death sentence] pronounced upon Rushdie by the mullahs for writing "The Satanic Verses")
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:24:34 AM EDT
[#22]
What COWARDS we have become in this country, perusing the posts above I'm amazed at the fear expressed in the form of insults slung at this former singer who, not unlike some Christians in this world today, is being persecuted for his choice of religion.

What did he ever do to any of ya?

So ya didn't like his music, that's okay, there's plenty of music I don't like and ya don't see me going around whining, calling the artists names and insulting folks, probably because I'm old enough to know better and had parents who taught me the golden rule (not that any of you numb-nuts would know what that was).

The truly sad part is most of you appear to have forgotten that we live in a country where FREEDOM OF RELIGION is supposed to be a right!

Excuse me while I go as racist pigs and their asinine remarks make me sick and pissed off that your too stupid to know better.......

Mike
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What COWARDS we have become in this country, perusing the posts above I'm amazed at the fear expressed in the form of insults slung at this former singer who, not unlike some Christians in this world today, is being persecuted for his choice of religion.

So ya didn't like his music, that's okay, there's plenty of music I don't like and ya don't see me going around whining, calling the artists names and insulting folks, probably because I'm old enough to know better and had parents who taught me the golden rule (not that any of you numb-nuts would know what that was).

The truly sad part is most of you appear to have forgotten that we live in a country where FREEDOM OF RELIGION is supposed to be a right!

Mike

But you don't have a right to contribute freely to terrorist organizations like HAMAS, then expect to freely gain access to the US after 9/11.

littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=5781
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#24]
A fitting reception for Muslim rats.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:45:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Salman Rushdie rules!!!!!!

Take that, you Islamofascist!

(Stevens endorsed the fatwah [death sentence] pronounced upon Rushdie by the mullahs for writing "The Satanic Verses")

Damn skippy!

In my book, that makes this turd-brain a supporter of Terrorism when he said "Let them send him (Salman Rushdie) to allah for judgment."

Stevens made his choice, now throw him back into the sand where he belongs
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:58:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:10:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Excuse me while I go as racist pigs and their asinine remarks make me sick and pissed off that your too stupid to know better.......

Mike

wow..this would be a stupid post now wouldn't it.
He's not a freakin american...he has no rights in this country.....he teaches islam in london..where terrorists hang out. Your not his secret bitch are ya?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#29]
He ain't Cat Stevens, he is Yusuf Islam, just because he was somebody doesn't make him somebody now.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#30]
He gave money to people that tried to kill my countrymen.

Hang him.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
He ain't Cat Stevens, he is Yusuf Islam, just because he was somebody doesn't make him somebody now.

exactly..he's a nobody who teaches a religion of hate living in a country where terrorists are known to hang out. Good homeland security call.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Mike

When you "puke", be sure to pull your head out of your ass otherwise the backwash will suffocate you!... Freedom of Religion is great, IF YOU'RE AN AMERICAN!

But, then again, I'm "too stupid to know better"..You sound like Teresa Kerry with your inane rant.

You-Suck Islam deserves NOTHING from the US...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Now if they would only do the same thing at our southern and northern borders.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I wonder if he fell off his "Peace Train"?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#35]

I`m being followed by a moon shadow FBI agent.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Return to sender Bitch
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Mr. Wilson, your indignation over intolerance should be directed towards Yusef Islam himself, who expressed agreement with  the death threat issued against Salman Rushdie years ago.  Furthermore Islam is not a race, and one cannot be racist for disliking Islam and distrusting its practitioners any more than one can be racist for disliking communists and distrusting adherents to communism, or any other political ideology.

"Crimes against innocent bystanders taken hostage in any circumstance have no foundation whatsoever in the life of Islam and the model example of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him."

Sorry to point this out, but the prophet Muhammad killed civilians and prisoners.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Mike

He was on the watch list for a good Goddamn reason, I'm sure.

He can worship whatever pedophile, cloud, plant, or camel he wants.  But if his name comes up on a list and they ground the plain, I say fuck him.  It happened for a reason, so he can take his ass back to London, plant his ass on a rug and kiss the ground towards Mecca, and send his money to terrorists all he wants.  Not from here, and God have mercy when he gets caught red-handed doing something he shouldn't.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

How is his freedom of religion being violated? As far as I can see, there are no shortage of Muslims who are allowed to enter the US everyday (my neighbors for example). The government doesn't give them a hard time - though that may be because they don't advocate for the murder of authors or donate their money to support Hamas and other terrorist groups.

Maybe the issue isn't his religion; but his actions?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Fuck em' and let em' eat cake.

Go back to where you really wanna be beotchhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

His pic needs to be added to the grouchymedia vid 'Die MF Die' and 'Bodies'
Fuckin Terrorist Wannabe
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#41]
He would slice off your head in a heartbeat!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#42]
That's one cat who needs to be put to sleep.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#43]
John Kerry and CatUssef are recording a song together!  Goes like this!!!

The Swift boats are comming to get us,comming to get us,comming to get us

I don't want no Bush trail ,got my nose up Binladdens tail

The Swift boats are comming to get us,comming to get us,comming to get us

And why do you ask,no thats not a fuse in my shoe!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I actually liked his music, but I hope when they deport him they don't bother decending.

CW
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Freedom of religion does not include the right to fund terror groups and to advocate the killing of authors simply because they don't agree with the teachings of your "prophet."

I take it personally when anyone funds those would like to see me dead.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Converts to Islam disgust me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Excuse me while I go heir
Mike

It wasn't for his religion.  It was for suspected terrorist links.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Guess what, He is NOT AMERICAN, Therefore he can use that freedom of religion bullshit in Saudi arabia or somewhere else. If you are Not American, Why should you enjoy or freedoms?
I think it was probably handled in an appropriate way. I dont care if he was a Baptist minister and Convert or not, if he has taught or associated with suspected terrorists He should be denied entry.
END OF STORY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top