Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 5:31:20 PM EDT
I have a new Dell that I am trying to set up on my wireless connection that is already set up. How do I do that? (Built on wireless)
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
RTFM
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have.

SAR
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Well sheet then.  Dell claims to have such superfly support.  call them hoes.

Seriously what is your wireless router, Linksys?  What standard?  There should be a config wizard on your machine one would think.  Are you using encryption.  If so are you certain if it's 56bit or triple DES?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well sheet then.  Dell claims to have such superfly support.  call them hoes.

Seriously what is your wireless router, Linksys?  What standard?  There should be a config wizard on your machine one would think.  Are you using encryption.  If so are you certain if it's 56bit or triple DES?

Linksys, I would think but its Microsoft , Yes How do you sign on to the network for the first time., 56bit
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is it a laptop?  

It's probably got the 1100 series card in it.  If it came right from the factory, you won't have to install any drivers - otherwise, go to http://support.dell.com and grab 'em.

Once you've got that, go into the Router's setup screen.  You want to find the wireless settings.  Make sure you're not broadcasting your SSID and change it to something unique (if you haven't already)

From there, you want to set up WEP.  Depending on the router, you'll have a choice of either 64 or 128 bit OR both.  Take the highest available.  You'll be asked to create a key - think of it as a password and make it good.

Once you've got all that setup and saved, reboot the router.  Take the SSID and key to your laptop and open the wireless card properties.  Click ADD, put in the SSID and key when prompted.  

With any luck, you'll be online at this point.

Let me know if you require further assistance!

I have the router set up but I want to add another computer. I can't find the wireless card though. ? That is the problem.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top