Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 4:02:58 PM EDT
Just got a new bushy upper with bolt, carrier etc. Though the bolt, carrier, charging handle, firing pin etc. LOOK ok, there is certainly more friction and tightness between the moving parts than in my last rig. Is there any way to tell what's a legit bushmaster set and what's not? one more thing I noticed is that on the bolt itself, my old bushy bolt had a cotter pin to take out the side door to clean the tiny spring and buffer that regulates how the bolt graps and ejects shells. this bolt doesn't have that cotter pin, the door is sealed with a non-removable pin. what gives?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just got a new bushy upper with bolt, carrier etc. Though the bolt, carrier, charging handle, firing pin etc. LOOK ok, there is certainly more friction and tightness between the moving parts than in my last rig. Is there any way to tell what's a legit bushmaster set and what's not? one more thing I noticed is that on the bolt itself, my old bushy bolt had a cotter pin to take out the side door to clean the tiny spring and buffer that regulates how the bolt graps and ejects shells. this bolt doesn't have that cotter pin, the door is sealed with a non-removable pin. what gives?

thanks

Hmmm...sounds fishy to me...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
seems sketchy to me as well, but I gotta figure it out soon so I can return it if necessary....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...my old bushy bolt had a cotter pin to take out the side door to clean the tiny spring and buffer that regulates how the bolt graps and ejects shells. this bolt doesn't have that cotter pin, the door is sealed with a non-removable pin...?

thanks

Do you have an exploded parts diagram somewhere to refer too?  First of all. the only Cotter pin used in the M16 family of weapons is the Firing Pin Retaining Pin.  The pin that retains the extractor is the "extractor pin."  It is not a cotter pin. It's a sold steel pin.  Sometimes they are tight, but it should be removable. It helps if you take some of the tensio off the pin by holding down the rear of the extractor while pushing out the pin.  User a bullet tip, small puch, or the tip of the firing pin in a pinch.

As to the origianl question.  Colt marks their bolts, Bushmaster doesnt AFAIK.  Bushmaster probubly buys bolts from many sources rather than manufacture their own.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Some of the bolts have a SE stamped on the side, and I believe that is stands for Smith Enterpises.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
All my BM stuff don't say SQUAT. What you said needs checked out before you fire it ; dont sound right !!??!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Over night that sucker to B.M. with a note they know what's theirs and what ain't ! It's worth the piece of mind and confidence  ; take it from a perfectionist .....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top