Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 2:04:39 PM EDT
www.avpress.com/n/tusty4.hts

Marine alleges $5,000 theft
This story appeared in the Antelope Valley Press on Tuesday, September 21, 2004.
By JAMES C. LOUGHRIE
Valley Press Staff Writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PALMDALE - When Leo Plascencia found out he was going to Iraq, the Marine from Palmdale gave his sister access to his bank account.
With his power of attorney, Sheila Sandoval was trusted to pay any bills that came for Plascencia while he was in the Middle East.

When the 22-year-old Marine returned home from duty, more than $5,000 was missing from his bank account. Sandoval told him she lent the money to her ex-boyfriend, Erick Jimenez, who said his father was sick.

A check allegedly written by Jimenez for $4,610 was returned by the bank for insufficient funds. The check may have been written by Sandoval.

To sort the matter out, Plascencia appeared in the court of Judge Joe Brown, a judge turned television star whose program appears daily at 10 and 10:30 a.m. on KCAL, Channel 9.

The episode, featuring Plascencia in uniform, aired at 10:30 a.m. Monday. Plascencia appeared as the plaintiff with his sister, Sandoval, as his witness. Jimenez appeared as a defendant, with his father as a witness.

While Plascencia sued for almost $5,000 to cover the loss of the check, Jimenez only was ordered to pay $800 for a check he wrote to Sandoval rather than Plascencia. He admitted to writing that check in order to let Sandoval borrow money.

Sandoval said that check was repayment for money borrowed, also. The check, however, was written to Sandoval and not to Plascencia.

That was because a handwriting analyst on the show, whom Brown called Miss Roth, said the check for $4,610 did not match Jimenez's signature.

The handwriting analyst, who said she has been a forensic document examiner since 1989, said the "Erick Jimenez" signature on the $4,610 check matched the handwriting of Sheila Sandoval, Plascencia's sister.

Brown also found some doubt in the check numbers. The $800 check written by Jimenez to Sandoval, who have a child together, was numbered 96. The number on the bounced $4,610 check was 1021. Both of the checks were written within a month of each other.

Brown said the check was removed from the back of the checkbook and called it an "old trick."

"I think you need to have a serious conversation with yourself," Brown told Sandoval. "I think what's going on here is a mess."

Even after Brown accused her of writing the checks and presented the handwriting analyst, Sandoval said she did not steal any money from her brother and denied fraudulently writing her ex-boyfriend's checks.

When interviewed on the show after they left the courtroom, a somber Plascencia said,
"There is a lot we have to talk about."  You could say that again!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The number of times this kind of crap happens would amaze people who are not in the military.

Joe goes off, gets shot at for a year, comes back and his wife has left him and is shacked up with a new honey, and his bank account is overdrawn. Meanwhile the wifey and her boy toy haven't worked in months since they have his cash flow.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
WTF, over????
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
G_S...
Wife situations like that are sadly all too common, but trusting your own sister to just pay your bills and then her and/or her b/f screws him over?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
G_S...
Wife situations like that are sadly all too common, but trusting your own sister to just pay your bills and then her and/or her b/f screws him over?

Yup, Seen that too. Even saw one case of a parent doing it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
G_S...

Yup, Seen that too. Even saw one case of a parent doing it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
And the reason they go to a TV show is that they will get paid the amount and expenses.  No harm no foul on these shows.

He needed to write a better power of attorney., that and listen to the Gunny about who will try to screw you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Poor kid. Too bad this happened, and too bad he had to humiliate himself and his family on a stoooopid TV show just to get his chit back.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the unpleasant experience of coming back from a deployment only to find that not only had my ex cheated on me but she had wiped 6 grand out of my account. She left the bank statement unopened n the dining room table for me to find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top