Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 1:44:20 PM EDT

(That is a 9.3-acre maze.)    I'm hunting down a better photo.

Council Bluffs -  There's never been a definable link between aliens and crop patterns - until now.

Going with the theme of "Amazing Space," Cynde Root, event planner of the fourth annual Korn Krazy Maze, opted to make this year's maze in the shape of an alien.

Making the maze in itself is quite an ordeal, and can often confuse the mazemakers, even though a Global Positioning Satellite instrument is used.

Root said it took 17 hours and 10 minutes to make the 9.3-acre maze, with another three weeks to mow out the maze.

It is located just north of Vander Haags on 189th St., just off the Bellevue Interstate 29 exit.

Certain patterns, Root said, are harder than others.

"You look at it when you think you should be going northwest and you are really going northeast."

Root recalled the first maze they made four years ago.

"It was a terrible mess," she said. "At first, we grided (the design) out, but the corn was already shoulder-high, and was really hard to do.

"After about three or four rows, we said, 'there has to be an easier way.' That's when we went to the GPS."

There are signs posted in the maze which follow the theme of the maze, including helping a lost space puppy get back to his family.

Of course, if you're daring enough, Root said the maze will be haunted Fridays and Saturdays from 7 to 10 p.m.

The corn maze will remain open until Oct. 31., Tuesday through Friday from 5 to 10 p.m.; Saturday from noon to 10 p.m.; Sunday from noon to 6 p.m.; and closed Mondays.

There are other surprises in the maze, but visitors will simply have to show up to find out what they are. Root said there will also be a special Trick-Or-Treat day Oct. 24.

Root said they will also hold a special Harvest for the Homeless fundraiser Oct. 9 that Altrusa International of Council Bluffs will be involved with.

Ticket prices are $6 for adults, $4 for children ages 4 through 12, and children younger than age four are free. There are group discounts and a fire pit is available for rent for $20.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
When I see these things it makes me wonder if we are doing the right thing subsidizing Americas farmers.  If they are using taxpayer dollars to do this kind of stuff perhaps we should reconsider giving them free money to make mazes and shit...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If your ever in a maze put your right hand on the wall to your right, and continue walking without ever taking your hand off the wall,  you will get out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When I see these things it makes me wonder if we are doing the right thing subsidizing Americas farmers.  If they are using taxpayer dollars to do this kind of stuff perhaps we should reconsider giving them free money to make mazes and shit...

Whatever troll.  I'm more worried about the billions given away to other coutries to keep them running then I am about losing a few bushells of crop.

Ohh and taxpayer dollars didn't do jack with this field, this field is funded by the visitors entry fees and the local coOp.  The crop from this field is harvested and sold at the yearly Harvest for the Homeless fundraiser.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever troll.  I'm more worried about the billions given away to other coutries to keep them running then I am about losing a few bushells of crop.

Ohh and taxpayer dollars didn't do jack with this field, this field is funded by the visitors entry fees and the local coOp.   The crop from this field is donated to a feed the poor group.  

OK where to start with this response...
Well I typed a long paragraph detailing it, but just backspaced it out to prevent another immature flame war.  It's not about lsing a few hundred dollars in corn silly.  It's wasting taxpayer money for a farmer to dick around doing this.  And please don't try to tell me he isn't using subsidies or other federal farm aid...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If your ever in a maze put your right hand on the wall to your right, and continue walking without ever taking your hand off the wall,  you will get out.

Thanks, That could come in handy next time...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top