Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2001 5:20:31 PM EDT
I finally found it...the perfect definition of a man. I was working on a rescue unit during some severe weather yesterday when we responded to a MVA (motor vehicle collision). Apparently, a drunk sumbitch in a full size pickup truck crossed the center line and hit a family in a a small geo tracker. Mom and daughter were fine with minor injuries, but we had to cut dad out. He sustained a pretty good hit which likely broke his shoulder, leg, and possibly caused a lung to be punctured. Outside of his moaning in obvious pain he first asked about his wife and child, then he asked about his dog. When we got him stabilized and medicated, he told us what happened. He realized the crash was eminent, and said he turned the car so he would take most of the impact...which he did and saved his family serious injury, and causing his own.
Now, I know we all SAY we would do the same thing, but how many would actually have the presence of mind to follow through with it in a split second. I have run literally hundreds of wrecks, and I almost never see this type of clear headed thinking at the moment of impact. Most people don't even know what hit them...usually zombies behind the wheel. Anyway, I was actually proud of the guy...even if he is a Federale!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
[beer]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I finally found it...the perfect definition of a man. I was working on a rescue unit during some severe weather yesterday when we responded to a MVA (motor vehicle collision). Apparently, a drunk sumbitch in a full size pickup truck crossed the center line and hit a family in a a small geo tracker. Mom and daughter were fine with minor injuries, but we had to cut dad out. He sustained a pretty good hit which likely broke his shoulder, leg, and possibly caused a lung to be punctured. Outside of his moaning in obvious pain he first asked about his wife and child, then he asked about his dog. When we got him stabilized and medicated, he told us what happened. He realized the crash was eminent, and said he turned the car so he would take most of the impact...which he did and saved his family serious injury, and causing his own.
Now, I know we all SAY we would do the same thing, but how many would actually have the presence of mind to follow through with it in a split second. I have run literally hundreds of wrecks, and I almost never see this type of clear headed thinking at the moment of impact. Most people don't even know what hit them...usually zombies behind the wheel. Anyway, I was actually proud of the guy...even if he is a Federale!!!
View Quote

I was on the verge of tears until you said Federale.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A man who would not die for his family is no man at all.
A woman who would not die for her children has less maternal instinct than a stray cat.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, federale or not...I was proud of him. You would be surprised at the acts of cowardice I have seen. I should have suggested getting a real vehicle though. Wife's car or not...I would not be caught dead (pun intended) in a geo tracker (read: bitchcar)HEHEHE
[spank]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Given the time to think, I think most men would have done that. But it usually happens so fast you can't do anything.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, a real man wouldn't put his family in that POS.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top