Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 8:28:50 AM EDT
I took a PT test and was running my ass off well after I finished the 2 mile run I took a slow lap to cool down after that I walked and stopped. Thats when it hit me I started seeing a few black spots then i took a knee (I didn't want to look like a pussy) then my whole vision was almost covered with black spots. I just started breathing and it went away. But it really freaked me out. I have never been a heat casulty, never passed out. Getting old really sucks

On the bright side I did a 13.18 2 mile which is pretty good!

Maybe I didn't drink enough water? I also didn't want to eat anything cause running with a stomach full of food is not good!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Not enough oxygen to the brain will do that to you.  Usually the lack of blood flow because it was diverted to your muscles for running will cause the loss of color vision and you will see things in black and white or spots in your case.  Then you lose your peripheral vision and lights out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]
hydrate before the test and eat something but light the night before.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I took a PT test and was running my ass off well after I finished the 2 mile run I took a slow lap to cool down after that I walked and stopped. Thats when it hit me I started seeing a few black spots then i took a knee (I didn't want to look like a pussy) then my whole vision was almost covered with black spots. I just started breathing and it went away. But it really freaked me out. I have never been a heat casulty, never passed out. Getting old really sucks

On the bright side I did a 13.18 2 mile which is pretty good!

Maybe I didn't drink enough water? I also didn't want to eat anything cause running with a stomach full of food is not good!

I think you answered your own question.

Hydration problems usually don't show up suddenly, and leave suddenly. So I doubt it.

Sounds like you weren't getting enough oxygen to the pilot house. Since you said it cleared up with "breathing" makes me think you tried to "slow down" or control your breathing too much after the run.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not enough oxygen to the brain will do that to you.  Then you lose your peripheral vision and lights out.

LOL, I saw "lights out" coming so I got to some grass no need to hit the floor on concrete! Luckily it didn't come to that.

thanks doc
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Best thing to do is breathe deep and slow.  Sit and rest. Lying down will sometimes have a bad effect and your may feel worse.  Hydration is also important.  I drink my gatorade and eat carbs before my hockey games.  You dont get the full effect if you do it during the competition.  You can maintain the levels but they will fall.  Better to tank prior and keep a maintaince schedule going.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top