Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:36:36 AM EDT
A while ago I checked with my homeowners policy to increase my coverage, they were very expensive.

I'm thinking of going with the NRA Armscare coverage.

Is anyone using their policy?  Had any claims?

Anything I need to know?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I looked into this once a while back. It ended up being cheaper for me to increase my homeowners insurance.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I looked into this once a while back. It ended up being cheaper for me to increase my homeowners insurance.

My homeowners (Nationwide) requires a Rider policy for more than $1,000 in guns (don't quote me on the exact number)

The Rider was pretty spendy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#3]
i have the NRA plan. very easy, i had no problems. they sent me my paperwork with a week or so.

i haven't made any claims though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked into a rider on my homeowners  for my guns a couple of years ago, but it would have jacked up my premiums by a few hundred dollars a year.....if there was something cheaper out there, I would jump on it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#5]
My insurance company was nearly 50% cheaper than the NRA insurance....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I think it also depends on how much insurance you need.  Both of my Homeowners gave me a cheaper price (USAA and previously Nationwide), but had a max amount that was not sufficient, I think $5000.00
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I also have the NRA plan.  Everything's been good so far, but I haven't had to make any claims.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#8]
We have American Family renters insurance, nothing extra for weapons, $500 deductible.

When I asked the agent about my guns she said, "No problem. Try to make sure you have all your receipts and if possible, pictures of the guns and their serial numbers."

I do, copies on CDs store in various places including and besides our house.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I added a rider onto my insurance policy.  I forget how much I paid for the extra coverage, but it was a pretty small sum (maybe $20-30/year?) considering how much was covered and with no deductable.  No nosy questions about how I store them either.  I have Allstate, BTW.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Most insurance companies will charge around $1.00-$1.75 per $100 of coverage.  So, if you have $10,000 of firearms you could be looking at $100-$175 extra per year.

I looked into it but decided instead to invest in a decent fireproof gunsafe - it will pay for itself in a few years.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I looked into it but decided instead to invest in a decent fireproof gunsafe - it will pay for itself in a few years.

I have a good safe, but nothing is foolproof.

Plus, a safe wont' do much when you are taking your guns to the range.

I wonder if you car insurance would cover that theft?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top