Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 4:07:29 AM EDT
CBS arranged for a confidential source to talk with Joe Lockhart, a top aide to John Kerry, after the source provided the network with the now-disputed documents about President Bush's service in the Texas National Guard.

The network's effort to place Burkett in contact with a top Democratic official raises ethical questions about CBS' handling of material potentially damaging to the Republican president in the midst of an election.

<snip>

"At Burkett's request, we gave his (telephone) number to the campaign," said Betsy West, senior CBS News vice president.

<snip>

Burkett said Monday that his contact with Lockhart was indeed part of an "understanding" with CBS. Burkett said his interest in contacting the campaign was to offer advice

<snip>

"My interest was to get the attention of the national (campaign) to defend against the ... attacks," Burkett said, adding that he also talked to former Georgia senator Max Cleland and Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean during the past 45 days

full text link

comment: The Dems are toast on this one. The evidence of coordination is overwhelming. The Kerry campaign launched " Operation Fortunate Son " simultaneously with the breaking of the CBS memo story. Coincidence? No Way! Kerry even used the 60 Minutes footage of Ben Barnes in the "Fortunate Son " Video

What did Kerry Know???.....When did He Know It???
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If the FEC doesn't take some sort of action on this, than McCain-Feingold is a joke.  How can a "news organization" which uses the public airwaves send a potential source of information to Kerry campaign officials for vetting?  If that's not coordination, I don't know what is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#2]
On NPR this morning, they had a bunch of journalists and professors flipping out because they didn't think it was that big of a deal and wanted to know WHY this whole story was getting so much attention.

BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

Caught with their pants down screwing the pooch...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:54:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
On NPR this morning, they had a bunch of journalists and professors flipping out because they didn't think it was that big of a deal and wanted to know WHY this whole story was getting so much attention.

Ben, I just heard that an hour after you did apparently -- that woman was a liberal weenie apologist, blabbering on about "just think of all the newsprint thats been wasted on this"  "could have spent time on stories i think -- i mean, stories that are more important to the average joe"  blah blah blah

and THIS from someone who supposedly specializes in "Journalistic Ethics!"
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
-- that woman was a liberal weenie apologist, blabbering on about "just think of all the newsprint thats been wasted on this"  "could have spent time on stories i think -- i mean, stories that are more important to the average joe"  blah blah blah

Yeah, alot of time that could have been used for hardcore Bush-bashing.  I fucking hate NPR.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#7]
The Kerry campaign and the media have been found out.  They are all complicit in this unbelievable attack on the President.  I STILL hear the libs on TV and the radio whining that this REALLY isn't he issue, that the President's SERVICE is!  Amazing...they continue to take the Rather position that even IF the docs were a fraud...the substance must  still be true...that Bush didn't serve with honor.  I actually heard Juan Williams and Mara Liaisson take that very position last Sunday on Fox....  Fucking morons...

They've been caught and they KNOW it.  Kerry may have a plausible deniability in this...but his staff certainly does not...nor do the DNC, led by the raving maniac McCauliff.

I really hope the FEC goes after those ass holes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was so disgusted with NPR's typical reaction that I just switched stations. NPR is nothing but a shill for the Democrats.

NPR's status as a public trust should be re-examined and delt with accordingly. They are anything but  non-biased public information radio. I'm tired of my tax money going to a leftist enemy of the United States.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sweet!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Kerry campaign and the media have been found out.  They are all complicit in this unbelievable attack on the President.  I STILL hear the libs on TV and the radio whining that this REALLY isn't he issue, that the President's SERVICE is!  Amazing...they continue to take the Rather position that even IF the docs were a fraud...the substance must  still be true...that Bush didn't serve with honor.  I actually heard Juan Williams and Mara Liaisson take that very position last Sunday on Fox....  Fucking morons...

They've been caught and they KNOW it.  Kerry may have a plausible deniability in this...but his staff certainly does not...nor do the DNC, led by the raving maniac McCauliff.

I really hope the FEC goes after those ass holes.

What was the saying among the sheeple, "tell a lie often enough and it becomes truth?"

I think the Dems are pretty much imploding from this little debacle at least for people in the know. In the short term it's good for the Bush supporters, but in the long term bad for the USA. We need the Dems to keep the Republican honest. Remember they Republicans will screw the gunners if they get the chance. Remember during the Clinton days, the head of the RNC said, Where are these people going to go to, they have no other place to go."
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

and THIS from someone who supposedly specializes in "Journalistic Ethics!"

John Stossel - a reporter I have much respect for - said in a speaker forum I saw recently, that the students interested in becoming a journalist should not major in journalism in college.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top