Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 7:16:03 PM EDT
The wife and I went to Alaska this summer on an Alaskan cuise and loved it. The inside passage was just amazing as well and the cities we visited. We did a round trip out of Vancouver.

The question is, what other places out there that you can cruise to that would be just as amazing? My wife and I are not into the party/drinking scene or water sports, so the carabean is probebly out of the question. We have looked at a New England cruise and possibly a Baltic cruise. Would like any feedback on people who have cruised these areas, or others we may not be thinking of.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you 100% obsessed with the idea of a cruise?  I think that from a splendor standpoint, it's going to be very difficult to top Coastal AK, especially this summer as the weather was ludicrously good, especially compared to 2002.  Plus, the topography of the Inside Passage lends itself to a good time.  

If you are set on a cruise, I would think that the next best place would be coastal Norway (if available) or that Baltic trip you mentioned.   If the Baltic trip is duty-free, and there are Swedes, Finns or Russians or Estonians on board, then you may be in for a voyage that is awash in alkool.  This is second-hand information from friends, so this is just a guess.

I would recommend going to Slovenia or Estonia and farting around on a land tour package there for a bit.  Slovenia is a really cool place--Slavic language, but influences of Austria and Italy.   You can get by on sewer-worthy German in the North.   There are a lot of vineyards, and the place is fairly funky.   You can get a pint of beer for $1 in the bars.  

Norway and Finland also kick ass, but the prices are more in line with vacationing in the US.  I couldn't give a rat #$5 about Germany and especially France, and the rest of western Europe.  Pretty much worthless from what little I saw of them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top