Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 4:59:56 PM EDT
My daughter dragged me out with her this evening to go shoot black bears in the field south of our house. They have been coming out of the bush to eat oats. That's o.k. except they've been coming close to the yardsite (under 100 yds.) and one finally chewwed the seat off my ATV!
Anyway, as we were rounding a corner of brush along the field, imagine our surprise when we looked up to see a medium/large size Grizzly bear STANDING up looking at us about100yds. away! We stopped dead and had a quick look thru binoculars and started to back away. It then dropped down and headed the other way, to my relief.
I had a 12ga. with slugs, and she had my 7mm mag. so we weren't lacking firepower but I'm galad it didn't come at us and   "commit suicide"  because they aren't that common.
Anyway, I just had to share that  with you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Cant say I am pleased about shooting bears for the hell of it.  gotta be a better way
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You're both fortunate.  Mr. Griz is a very dangerous animal.  All three of you might have bought the farm.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]

THE SUIT

Name:  Ursus Mark VI
Development Time: Seven years
Total Cost: $150,000

Materials:
Fireproof rubber exterior (from Minnesota)
Titanium outer plates (from Hamilton, Ont.)
Suit joints made of chain mail (from France)
Tek plastic inner shell (from Japan)
Inner layer of air bags

Height: 2.18 metres (7 ft. 2 in.), with head-top camera attachment
Weight: 66.68 kilograms (147 lbs.)

Headpiece:
Two-chamber headpiece. Inner helmet: specially-modified Shoei motorcycle helmet. Outer chamber: aluminum/titanium alloy shell. Dimensions: approx. 60 centimetres (2 ft.) deep; 45 centimetres
(1 ft. 6 in.) wide.
Cooling System:
Battery-powered twin-fan ventilation system draws cool air into helmet and vents warm air.
Radio System:
Voice-activited two-way radio.
Viewing System:
Helmet-mounted miniature camera with wide-angle viewscreen.

Black Box:
Voice-activated recording device located on the rear-right side of head piece, to record bear sounds or, in the event of a catastrophic failure of the Ursus Mark VI, last words.
Defensive System:
Trigger finger-activated "blaster can" on right arm, capable of spraying a 38 centimetre (15 in.) diameter cone of bear repellant for a distance of 4.6 metres (15 ft.), for a duration of 7 seconds.

Testing On Suit:
Truck: 18 collisions with a three-tonne truck travelling at 50 kilometres an hour (30 m.p.h)
Rifle: Shot at with 12 gauge shotgun, using "Sabot" slugs
Arrows: Armour-piercing arrows, fired from 45 kilogram (100 lb.) bow
Tree Trunk: Two collisions with a 136 kilgram (300 lb.) tree from a height of 9 metres (30 ft.)
Bikers: Assault by three bikers -- the largest, 2.05 metres (6 ft. 9 in.) tall, weighing 175 kilograms (385 lbs.). Biker armaments: splitting ax, planks, baseball bat.
Escarpment: Jumped off escarpment, falling over 15.25 metres (over 150 ft.).

Bite Bar:
Pressure-sensitive strip located on right arm, to measure the biting power of a grizzly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
that dude is phsyco. I don't believe he's been able to actually fight a bear though has he?

Good job on staying calm and just getting the heck out of there
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
It's funny how a grizzly bear has the intelligence that he can recognize a  12ga. with slugs, and a 7mm mag. at 100 yards

Damn thats a smart bear! (circus training?)

GM

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
... Can see right through some of you fellas. Hunting is as a much a culture to folks in many parts of North America as your RKBA position. You guys need to understand that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.nfb.ca/grizzly/suit1.gif

THE SUIT

Name:  Ursus Mark VI
Development Time: Seven years
Total Cost: $150,000

Materials:
Fireproof rubber exterior (from Minnesota)
Titanium outer plates (from Hamilton, Ont.)
Suit joints made of chain mail (from France)
Tek plastic inner shell (from Japan)
Inner layer of air bags

Height: 2.18 metres (7 ft. 2 in.), with head-top camera attachment
Weight: 66.68 kilograms (147 lbs.)

Headpiece:
Two-chamber headpiece. Inner helmet: specially-modified Shoei motorcycle helmet. Outer chamber: aluminum/titanium alloy shell. Dimensions: approx. 60 centimetres (2 ft.) deep; 45 centimetres
(1 ft. 6 in.) wide.
Cooling System:
Battery-powered twin-fan ventilation system draws cool air into helmet and vents warm air.
Radio System:
Voice-activited two-way radio.
Viewing System:
Helmet-mounted miniature camera with wide-angle viewscreen.

Black Box:
Voice-activated recording device located on the rear-right side of head piece, to record bear sounds or, in the event of a catastrophic failure of the Ursus Mark VI, last words.
Defensive System:
Trigger finger-activated "blaster can" on right arm, capable of spraying a 38 centimetre (15 in.) diameter cone of bear repellant for a distance of 4.6 metres (15 ft.), for a duration of 7 seconds.

Testing On Suit:
Truck: 18 collisions with a three-tonne truck travelling at 50 kilometres an hour (30 m.p.h)
Rifle: Shot at with 12 gauge shotgun, using "Sabot" slugs
Arrows: Armour-piercing arrows, fired from 45 kilogram (100 lb.) bow
Tree Trunk: Two collisions with a 136 kilgram (300 lb.) tree from a height of 9 metres (30 ft.)
Bikers: Assault by three bikers -- the largest, 2.05 metres (6 ft. 9 in.) tall, weighing 175 kilograms (385 lbs.). Biker armaments: splitting ax, planks, baseball bat.
Escarpment: Jumped off escarpment, falling over 15.25 metres (over 150 ft.).

Bite Bar:
Pressure-sensitive strip located on right arm, to measure the biting power of a grizzly.

I went to school with a guy named Roy Hurtubise where this guy lives. Maybe they're related.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cant say I am pleased about shooting bears for the hell of it.  gotta be a better way

I don't bother them as a rule, but when they get too comfortable with being around home... well they have to go because accidents happen.  Up here they are so  common you can shoot as many as you want without any kind of license. And the Wildlife Dep't. doesn't want to relocate them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My daughter dragged me out with her this evening to go shoot black bears in the field south of our house. They have been coming out of the bush to eat oats. That's o.k. except they've been coming close to the yardsite (under 100 yds.) and one finally chewwed the seat off my ATV!
Anyway, as we were rounding a corner of brush along the field, imagine our surprise when we looked up to see a medium/large size Grizzly bear STANDING up looking at us about100yds. away! We stopped dead and had a quick look thru binoculars and started to back away. It then dropped down and headed the other way, to my relief.
I had a 12ga. with slugs, and she had my 7mm mag. so we weren't lacking firepower but I'm galad it didn't come at us and   "commit suicide"  because they aren't that common.

Where I live, we have lots of critters. I don't hunt, and don't like the idea of killing animals for fun, and yet I fully support the right of others to do so.  

But what we also have, where I live, is a lot whole lot of californian type liberal transplants who believe that the wilderness is really a big yuppie theme park.  

When someone like me mentions that he ALWAYS CARRIES when he goes into the deep dark woods, they look at me like I am a complete looney toon.

And furthermore, when I make it clear, that I will kill any dangerous animal (regretfully) that even looks like it is going to make a move on me or mine, they look at me like I am a serial killer with blood lust. (I have never had to do so)

And almost ever damn year some outsider gets eaten in glacier park it seems from one of our lovely teddy bears or stomped by bullwinkle or a buffalo.  

You gotta love it.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I have some Bear problems at times here in Rural north, MN.
No Griz, but since Black Bear kill more people each year than Grizzly I take them seriously. More worried about my dogs then anything. Most will run away as soon as you yell "BAD BEAR" and make some noise (not kidding). Do not ever think you can out run a bear, it will not happen.
76R, trip wires with bird bombs will work well to secure an area. Works for me. Only had one bear set it off twice.
Double barrel 12ga loaded with "RUBBER Buckshot" assured he got the point.
(Note: 4 -12ga slugs on stock for back up. I am not that dumb)
They are just trying to fatten up for winter. Just cant be on you dogs or livestock. Rare occurrence but can happen. For the sake of the Griz, get him out of there. Try the trip wires.
Association with people means a dead Griz.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't bother them as a rule, but when they get too comfortable with being around home... well they have to go because accidents happen.  Up here they are so  common you can shoot as many as you want without any kind of license. And the Wildlife Dep't. doesn't want to relocate them.

I thought that may be case after I posted that, Im sure you do what you have to do.
What the hell do I know about bears anyway, Ive seen maybe 5 or 6 in the last 5 years around here.

So is griz real rare up there ?
You said med to large, How much weight are we talking about ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Be careful, someone may tell you to stick an SKS up your ass, talkin about bears like that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I thought that may be case after I posted that, Im sure you do what you have to do.
What the hell do I know about bears anyway, Ive seen maybe 5 or 6 in the last 5 years around here.

So is griz real rare up there ?
You said med to large, How much weight are we talking about ?

They aren't rare (there's enough that they have a season on them) but they aren't something you see unless you are 'lucky' ,especially in the settled area. I've been here for 14 years now and I have only seen a few back in the bush. This one I would guess to be about 700lbs. (?)
I don't want to see him shot illegally by any local ranchers, so I called the Wildlife guy and they are going to bring a trap tomorrow and try and get him. I also don't want my kids to run into it when out riding horses.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Where I live, we have lots of critters. I don't hunt, and don't like the idea of killing animals for fun, and yet I fully support the right of others to do so.  

But what we also have, where I live, is a lot whole lot of californian type liberal transplants who believe that the wilderness is really a big yuppie theme park.  

When someone like me mentions that he ALWAYS CARRIES when he goes into the deep dark woods, they look at me like I am a complete looney toon.

And furthermore, when I make it clear, that I will kill any dangerous animal (regretfully) that even looks like it is going to make a move on me or mine, they look at me like I am a serial killer with blood lust. (I have never had to do so)

And almost ever damn year some outsider gets eaten in glacier park it seems from one of our lovely teddy bears or stomped by bullwinkle or a buffalo.  

You gotta love it.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  

+1 My feelings exactly!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Be careful, someone may tell you to stick an SKS up your ass, talkin about bears like that.

Haha ...I read that thread earlier...haha

MT
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Once bears are exposed to easy pickins (houses) is over for them. They must be relocated or destroyed.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#19]
The Wildlife guy came and put the trap in last P.M.  and the kids and I went and checked it thisevening and sure 'nuff he's in there already.
Scared the piss out of me when I went to look inside! Its dark, and it's hard to focus past the screen on the door. So as I'm trying to let my eyes  adjust, the son of a bitch banged into the screen and I just about jumped 3 ft. in the air! No matter which end or side you went to look in, he'd dive at you. Snorting like a whale blowing air.
I think someone was bullshitting you when I said he looked to be around 700 lbs. though.
He looks to be 4-500 maybe. It's hard to tell when you're jumping and pissing pants though.
I'll have a better look when we go to let him go tomorrow. I'll see if the Wildlife guy has a digital camera and I can post a pic. of it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, like this asshat that got eaten by a bear because he was an idiot.

seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/142982_bearattack08.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top