Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 4:59:12 PM EDT
Almost all the gun ranges around here do not allow rapid fire from rifles only pistols
Why do they do that?  They will let LEOs fire full auto crap but I cant even do a double tap with my AR.  I don't understand, does it scare them?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Public ranges in the Houston area allow no rapid fire at all rifle or pistol.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Almost all the gun ranges around here do not allow rapid fire from rifles only pistols
Why do they do that?  They will let LEOs fire full auto crap but I cant even do a double tap with my AR.  I don't understand, does it scare them?

They don't want our kind around there, same look they give you when you go in the gun store and its wall to wall rem/win and you ask where is the colt ars? Old farts
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
dumb nuts that just blast away and shoot over the backstop
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Muzzle control.  Rapid fire means people will shoot over the berms.

TRG

How the hell are you supposed to get ready for antelope season if you can't practice your rapid fire?

()

Sly
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is there an echo in here?

TRG

you think i read your posts?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Just join a private gun club.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Also Liability concerns. Rapid fire while you have an ammo malfunction and you could blow up your gun / harm yourself or others. Safest / cheapest course for a public range is Just Say No.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They will let LEOs fire full auto crap but I cant even do a double tap with my AR.

An LEO friend explained it to me this way: "LEO's have the proper training, mental discipline and physical coordination to perform...um...[a brief pause as we both observe a young LT trip over himself during a 'tactical roll']...circus acts."
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of our ranges are in areas that are ever suburbanizing. We are lucky to keep the ranges we have...hopefully in the future there will still be ranges near large urban areas.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not necessarily the right answer. My dad belongs to a private club. You can only load six, and it's slow fire only.
I had to go to state land to properly celebrate the demise of the AWB.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necessarily the right answer. My dad belongs to a private club. You can only load six, and it's slow fire only.

Yup, I looked into joining a private club around here and you can't use hi caps in your guns.  Private clubs are usually great for pistol shooting and skeet, but for fun with "evil rifles" avoid them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

No offence, but i say BS,
People that say that have never seen the controled and accurate rapid fire shooting in the rapid fire section of NRA service rifle competition.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]
next time you go to the range look at the ceiling and wall and the box

notice all the holes and scrapes?   thats probably from an idiot trying rapid fire

its allot easier and safer to not allow it at all, then to assess every customer that comes in
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The germans over here are very stict with what wer nca do and use for ranges. The closet range to me is in Messel DE. It is surrounded by woods but houses are not that far off. It is only a familierization range because it is small but we can still fire full auto with up to a m249. I swear that most people that have an AR that go to a range in the states is a lot more responsible than some of the soldiers that I have seen. One of them would have a Q so they would turn towards me with THEIR LOADED WEAPON WHICH IS ON FIRE.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
. . . One of them would have a Q so they would turn towards me with THEIR LOADED WEAPON WHICH IS ON FIRE.

You set your weapons on fire over there?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
They got onto me for rapid firing once, this past weekend I was doing it with no problems, there were some people trying to sight in thier deer rifles who were about 2 fot from clearing the barm though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#19]
No rapid fire in any of the ranges around where I live.

I once asked an R.O. why rapid fire wasn`t allowed.  He pointed to the ceiling over the firing line, which was full of holes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
next time you go to the range look at the ceiling and wall and the box

notice all the holes and scrapes?   thats probably from an idiot trying rapid fire

its allot easier and safer to not allow it at all, then to assess every customer that comes in

you must be talking about an indoor range.

If thats the case check out an indoor NRA 2700 match. Lots of controlled rapid fire there to be had. In all its 22,32 and 45 caliber glory.

If there is any damage, its from the putz that comes around once a year in between hunting seasons.
Those are the people that cant  accurately aim and fire their own gun. IMO

when that happens the RO will promptly tear them a new ass if he's in a "good" mood.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Because the average shooter can not control his weapon in rapid fire.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

Bullshit.

you can shoot rapid fire and not end up shooting over the berm. I do it all the damn time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:34:30 AM EDT
[#24]
They may have had uninformed neighbors people call reporting machine gun fire. They then have to go through the headache of explaining to the police that the rifles are semi.

They may just want to avoid the hassle.

ktm500
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yep, only takes one round going over a berm and hitting a house or car and everyone's fun is over.  I'm just happy that my range still allows shooting from off the bench.  At least I can prictinc prone, kneeling, standing, ect.  Alot of places don't even allow that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

People that say that have never seen the controled and accurate rapid fire shooting in the rapid fire section of NRA service rifle competition.  

not really the best example,  10 rounds in 60 seconds isn't very rapid.

Even an old man that uses 20 seconds to get into position and 10 seconds to reload and assess would fire at the rate of 1 round every 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:49:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not really the best example,  10 rounds in 60 seconds isn't very rapid.

Even an old man that uses 20 seconds to get into position and 10 seconds to reload and assess would fire at the rate of 1 round every 3 seconds.

At 300 yards, with all shots in a 2 MOA circle.  

Can you do better?

I don't think so.

Most who think they are billy badass at 100 yards are in tears when the get to 300 rapid.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, I looked into joining a private club around here and you can't use hi caps in your guns.  Private clubs are usually great for pistol shooting and skeet, but for fun with "evil rifles" avoid them.

Find the RIGHT club, and your worries are over.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Find the RIGHT club, and your worries are over.

Not necessarily the most practical answer.  God bless you that you're lucky enough to live close to a club where proper training techniques are allowed and the membership can be trusted to shoot responsibly.  At some of these suburban ranges it just isn't possible - some yahoo will put a round over the berm or through the ceiling of the shooting house.

It's something that has to be decided on a range-by-range basis.  Depending on the location and the membership, the safety rules have to be adjusted to maintain a safe environment.  Some degree of compromise is necessary and good situational judgement is part of the discipline of marksmanship.

Of course to the maniacal purist element, any place where you can't bump fire through 180 degrees of rotation is an abomination upon the shooting culture and deserves to be shut down.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, only takes one round going over a berm and hitting a house or car and everyone's fun is over.  

I've got an idea,  DONT LIVE BEHIND A SHOOTING RANGE!

Quoted:
I'm just happy that my range still allows shooting from off the bench.  At least I can prictinc prone, kneeling, standing, ect.  Alot of places don't even allow that.

Damn dude, do you live in cali?

Nothing personal jeepster, I just cant accept rules because someone might screw something up.  Sounds like some liberal shit.  "Someone might shoot someone else so no one should have guns."  I shoot at the NRA headquarters and they do it up right.  If you look like you dont know what you're doing they come over and check on you.  If you keep doing it wrong they ask you to stop.  If you keep doing it wrong they ask you to leave.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I Go to a gravel pit............no one has ever complained there
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

Bullshit.

you can shoot rapid fire and not end up shooting over the berm. I do it all the damn time.

i'm sure you can, as can most here. but we are in the minority
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#34]
The club I belong to allows rapid fire and full auto.  I haven't seen too many shooters "spraying and praying" but that's not to say it hasn't happened.  Luckily in the state of PA there are so many quality hills backstops that a round has to go pretty far off target to go anywhere off the range.  

I have seen guys bump fire their mini 14s or other semi gun and spray lead everywhere on the range.  Sometimes they look like idiots, but I have radpid fired my AR15 there @ 100 yards and done well.  Now I don't think I'm a Billy Badass, but I know that I can hit targets reliably.  

The first range I belonged to had a gas well not far off the range.  They had big issues with those who rapid fired because of fear of kaboom.  I left the range; not because of their rules but because of fears of kabooming.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
They will let LEOs fire full auto crap but I cant even do a double tap with my AR.  I don't understand, does it scare them?

LEOs are highly trained individuals fighting everyday for your safety and well-being.  You, on the other hand are er, oh, uh, ah hell, I don't know.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

Bullshit.

i'm sure you can, as can most here. but we are in the minority

I thought about that after I posted too, didn't feel like editing the post though. But yer right, there are a lot of us that would not have that problem and a good bit of folks that probably would. I forget that most people don;t shoot near as much as most of us do on average.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top