Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 4:52:17 PM EDT
As advertised in this month's Time magazine. An idea from a group of middle school students.

LINK

A bill before Congress, H.R.1785 and S. 244,  initiated by students, to put an abridged version of the Constitution on the back of U.S. currency.

H.R.1785
Title: To require the Secretary of the Treasury to redesign $1 Federal reserve notes so as to incorporate the preamble to the Constitution of the United States, a list describing the Articles of the Constitution, and a list describing the Amendments to the Constitution, on the reverse side of such notes.

Praise and Endorsements

"When the story of the 106th Congress is written, its most glorious hour might just be today, when the kids from. . . civics classes take a bus to Washington and lobby the House and Senate to print the Constitution on the back of the one-dollar bill." THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, JUNE 29, 1999

". . .may be the greatest idea ever originated in any school system." THE TOPEKA CAPITAL-JOURNAL

"It's such an important document on such an important piece of paper." GOOD MORNING AMERICA

"The ultimate civics lesson." CNN NEWS

"It sounds like a good idea." CBS THIS MORNING

". . . during this seemingly quixotic drive, students have learned not only the fundamentals of the nation's most important document, but how government works:  how to work with legislators, how to lobby, and the difference between getting a bill introduced in Congress and having it discussed in a subcommittee hearing."  CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR  

"Jonathan Green, a Patrick Henry 10th-grader, says his work on the Liberty Bill project has helped him in his high school government class.  'It shows us how politics are very human, made up of so many people and viewpoints,' he explains.  His mother , Miriam Green, says she's seen how government has come alive for the kids because the project takes them beyond learning facts and gets them involved in the process."  CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR  

". . .promotes patriotic education for all Americans and is another way to preserve our national history." VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS OF THE UNITED STATES

". . .we cherish this idea."  MILITARY ORDER OF THE PURPLE HEART

"A fantastic learning experience, the Liberty Bill has inspired me to pursue politics like never before."  JESSIE, MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENT

Endorsements From Political And Community Leaders

"I'd love to see the whole U.S. Senate and the whole Congress see this presentation and I guarantee you it will sail through."  SENATOR GEORGE ALLEN, GOVERNOR OF VIRGINIA 1994-1998

"I am blown away by your [the students'] presentation." U.S. REPRESENTATIVE ERIC CANTOR

"I am convinced that if every Member of Congress saw the presentation I saw at Patrick Henry High School yesterday, an overwhelming majority of them would immediately support the bill." U.S. REPRESENTATIVE TOM BLILEY, RETIRED

"I agree with the students of Liberty Middle School. The Constitution belongs to the people. It should be in their hands." SENATOR JOHN WARNER

". . .the ideals of good citizenship, American history, and respect for the Constitution to every person in the world who touches a dollar bill." SENATOR CHUCK ROBB

"This is the best presentation I have ever witnessed by secondary schools."     U. S. REPRESENTATIVE TOM BLILEY, RETIRED

"This is probably the finest presentation that I have been privileged to be a part of.  That was a most professional and mature presentation." DELEGATE FRANK HARGROVE, VIRGINIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY

"The Liberty Dollar Bill Project is a wonderful example of capturing creative young talent and concepts for the future in a way that makes a major contribution to understanding our constitution."  LT. GOVERNOR JOHN H. HAGER

"It's inspiring to see Virginia's youth driving the message of America.  The idea behind the Liberty Bill is fundamental; it's a constant reminder of the freedoms we fought for and must protect." ATTORNEY GENERAL MARK EARLEY

"Elected and appointed officials listening to the students....The cornerstone of democracy is listening to the people." MRS. SUE WATSON, CHAIRMAN, HANOVER COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That's some ugly ass money!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds great but I'm sure some dumbass liberal politician will change the 2nd Amendment to read "The right of states to maintain a national guard".

Print the original bill of rights and not an abridged version.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't get some of the information linked on to here (it was in a .PDF). Read the reasons. Think about how much US currency makes it way overseas and who would see this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, and Bye Bye 'IN GOD WE TRUST'!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what it probrobly is really about. Getting rid of any trace of religion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Below is an excerpt straight from one of the PDF files that explain why they want the liberty bill. Can you guess which amendment got left out of the loop??? Well can you boys and girls???? Start getting pissed.

HUMAN RIGHTS ADVANCED WORLDWIDE BY THE LIBERTY BILL!
• Amendment One protects freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, right to assemble peaceably, and the
right to petition government.
• Amendments 4, 5, 6, 7, and 14 ensure all people equal treatment and the same due process under the law,
including fair, speedy and public trials, trials by jury, and the right to a lawyer.
• Amendment Eight forbids cruel and unusual punishments.
• Amendment Thirteen forbids slavery.
• Amendments 1, 15, 19, and 24 ensure all people have an equal right to vote regardless of religion, race, gender, or status.

Edited to add: In case you couldnt find it - where the "F" is Amendment #2??????
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Below is an excerpt straight from one of the PDF files that explain why they want the liberty bill. Can you guess which amendment got left out of the loop??? Well can you boys and girls???? Start getting pissed.

• Amendment One protects freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, right to assemble peaceably, and the
• Amendments 4, 5, 6, 7, and 14 ensure all people equal treatment and the same due process under the law,
including fair, speedy and public trials, trials by jury, and the right to a lawyer.
• Amendments 1, 15, 19, and 24 ensure all people have an equal right to vote regardless of religion, race, gender, or status.

Edited to add: In case you couldnt find it - where the "F" is Amendment #2??????

Oh I couldn't find 3
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Reading what I can off the pictured one dollar bill, Amendment two reads: DEFINES THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.

I wish it said it exactly the way it was written, or at least include "OF THE PEOPLE".

-LG
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, if you look at the illustration, the 2d is there - translated by the little shitweasels as follows:

"2. Defines the right to bear arms."
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#9]
It didn't get left off the bill though...top of the second column.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sounds great but I'm sure some dumbass liberal politician will change the 2nd Amendment to read "The right of states to maintain a national guard".

Print the original bill of rights and not an abridged version.

If the sonsabitches don't leave the 2nd off altogether. Keep reading anecdotes of students' government classes glossing over it or failing to teach ANYthing about it at all.

half figured this topic was going to be some dumbass move by the ACLU re the Bell.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Actually, if you look at the illustration, the 2d is there - translated by the little shitweasels as follows:

I noticed that shit too
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]
If you don't like it, do something about it. These kids are participating. We should too. Otherwise, you might have dollar bills floating around with an "interpretation" of the 2nd Amendment on it. POSSIBLE FIRE MISSION??????

I emailed the project director the following email:

To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 12:25 PM
Subject: Liberty Bill Project

Dear Mr. Wright,

I recently learned about your student's project through an ad that ran in a recent edition of Time magazine. I applaud your student's motivation and desire to participate in the governmental process. I wish more citizens of this country would follow their example and begin to participate in a system designed specifically for that purpose; the participation of individual citizens.

The reason why I am writing you however, is to ask why the wording of the 2nd Amendment has been edited? The 2nd Amendment is very clear in that it 'defines the right to bear arms', but that right is given to private citizens of this country.

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."  
— Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution  

I believe your wording is ambiguous and leaves the 2nd Amendment open for intereptation and allows its true purpose to be misconstrued, if not rewritten all together. As you should be aware, the 2nd Amendment has been, and continues to be, under attack at both the Federal and State level. OUR rights as citizens have been, are, and will continue to be infringed if not entirely retracted if we continue to allow the system to interpret this and other rights on our behalf. I encourage you to teach your students the 2nd and all Amendments as they are written and sincerely request that you include the words "of the people" in your advertisement of the 2nd Amendment.

Again, congratulations to your students for their work.

Thank you for your time.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:29:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing???? Damn, I'm disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They were talking about the long explanation text where it enumerated why each was important -- they left off the 2nd (and 3rd and 9th and 10th IIRC)
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I think you're getting a little too worked up over this.  All of the amendments have to be summarized, otherwise they wouldn't fit on the bill.  It has to fit on one line and still be large enough to read.  That doesn't leave much room.

Although I'm not sure why they couldn't have simply said "Right to bear arms" or "Right to keep and bear arms".  The 2nd doesn't really quite "define" it as such.

And "In God we trust" is right at the top of the bill, BTW.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The 2nd Amendment, our right to bear arms, doesn't do much for the advancement of human rights worldwide IMHO. That is why it isn't in this particular list.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yup, and Bye Bye 'IN GOD WE TRUST'!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what it probrobly is really about. Getting rid of any trace of religion.

Nope, it's still there. Right at the very top in the center.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think you're getting a little too worked up over this.  All of the amendments have to be summarized, otherwise they wouldn't fit on the bill.  It has to fit on one line and still be large enough to read.  That doesn't leave much room.

Although I'm not sure why they couldn't have simply said "Right to bear arms" or "Right to keep and bear arms".  The 2nd doesn't really quite "define" it as such.

And "In God we trust" is right at the top of the bill, BTW.

see below

Quoted:
Reading what I can off the pictured one dollar bill, Amendment two reads: DEFINES THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.

I wish it said it exactly the way it was written, or at least include "OF THE PEOPLE".

-LG

This is what I am talking about. Email the project director.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's the reply from the program director that I received this evening:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx,

First of all, you write beautifully.
It is hard to argue with your point.  Because of a lack of room and because
we used and outline of each of the twenty-seven Amendments, we did not pick
any one Amendment to write in its entirety. We chose the words "Defines the
Right to Bear Arms" to suggest that if one want the full meaning, he must
read the actual Amendment -- much as one must do for all the others.

Still, we did have a version that was the entire Bill of Rights with not one
word left out.  My students like the outline version better for many, many
reason.

A writer for USA Today suggested having only the First Amendment -- in its
entirety --  because "from the First Amendment all others spring."

Most importantly, after seven years of working on this bill and having been
in four Congresses, we simply want the bill to get to the floor of Congress
where a great debate will spur the entire nation to participate on what
words will adequately tell the story of the Constitution.

So for now we push onward, knowing that our chances are slim and no one will
bother to change a thing because no one will really get us to a vote.

We certainly appreciate your kind words and thank you for writing.  If you
wish for some Liberty Bill to show to folks, please send me a mailing
address and I will gladly send some your way.

All the Best,
Randy

Sounds like an OK guy............. also sounds like he knows "the truth".
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I beg to differ, the 1st amendment is not the cornerstone, the 2nd is. Without the 2nd, there is no first.

I concede the In god We Trust - I must have missed that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nevermind, just read the reply.....

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, at least it's better than this POS put out by the INS:

www.jpfo.org/alert20020731a.htm

On page 2 of that document, it states:

"The Founding Fathers believed that the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness was very important. This right is the basis for all of the rights listed in the Constitution and its amendments.
   These include:

* right to freedom of religion;
       * right to freedom of speech;
       * right to bear arms, or to own weapons (a special permit is required);
       * right to a trial when accused of a crime, and to know of what crime one is accused; and,
       * right to own property and to expect the government to help protect private property.

These are rights guaranteed by the Constitution to both citizens and non-citizens who live in the United States."

---

Never mind the grammatical error in the use of "right" in the first sentence -- there is absolutely no "special permit" requirement anywhere in the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Now, skip down to page 5:

"Amendment 2

Guarantees the right to have weapons or own a gun, though subject to certain regulations. (Also called the right to bear arms.)"

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:35:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Love the line "You take the First Amendment and I'll take the Second; then we'll see who stays freer longer"

wganz

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top