Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 4:42:03 PM EDT
Personally I'm all for this… as long as we throw France out to make a place for India…

Blair backs India for Security Council
(Filed: 20/09/2004)

Prime Minister Tony Blair has pledged Britain's support for India to be granted a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Mr Blair also said he hoped to use Britain's chairmanship of the G8 next year to bring India - and China - into closer dialogue with the group of leading industrialised nations over issues like climate change and poverty eradication.

He was speaking alongside Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh following talks at 10 Downing Street, at which the two premiers agreed a joint declaration of cooperation on trade, science and technology and the battle against terrorism.

"India is a country of 1.2 billion people," said Mr Blair.

"For India not to be represented on the Security Council is, I think, something that is not in tune with the modern times in which we live."

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/20/uindia.xml&sSheet=/portal/2004/09/20/ixportaltop.html
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh yeah I totally agree with that one.  It would bring a countering force to the Islamic apologists who seem to control so much of the UN.  They are a democracy and they are in between a current source of world instability, the muslim world, and a potential concern with China.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Move the whole damn organization to India.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Give them our seat and get their buts out of our country, then ignore everything they say.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Let India take our spot on the security council so we can quit the whole thing.

edit: heh Currahee, we were thinking alike.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

It's easier to throw a monkey wrench in the works when we're in the middle of it, so to speak.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Move the whole damn organization to India.

It worked for Dell
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds good, if they replace France. Otherwise, no.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:21:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Britain ass-raped India for many years, why not.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:57:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Might as well.  They have the 2nd biggest population in the world.  Probably should add Brazil, too.  And we can cut back on our financial support for the organization while we're at it.  Make the kids pay for their own party.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#10]
They haven't helped us enough in the war on terror.  The other problem is that the current party, Congress-I, is pretty pro-Muslim.  All the Muslims in India vote for them, and the Congress Party uses government money to send millions of Muslims to Mecca for the Haj.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been saying this for years. F the skull of France! WW2 is over, time to leave the adult table mon-sewer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Let India take our spot on the security council so we can quit the whole thing.

edit: heh Currahee, we were thinking alike.

Better to stay. Otherwise, why let the French have the last word? I say we 1) stop paying any UN debts, 2) Veto everything the French want 3) repeat number 2.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#13]
pakistan would shit a brick.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Oh yeah I totally agree with that one.  It would bring a countering force to the Islamic apologists who seem to control so much of the UN.  They are a democracy and they are in between a current source of world instability, the muslim world, and a potential concern with China.  

The government of India also hates our guts. Having them on the Security Council is NOT GOOD. They are also 1 heartbeat away from becoming a majority muslim country.

Still want them to have that seat??

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:
They are also 1 heartbeat away from becoming a majority muslim country.

So how do you work THAT one out! It is a predomintly HINDU country that has kicked Muslim Pakistans ass for it on a number of occassions… Muslims are only 13% of India's population, have little influence and are actively discriminated against.

"India's Muslims are also far more likely than Hindus to be victims of violent attacks. In all the communal riots since independence, official police records reveal that three-quarters of the lives lost and properties destroyed were Muslim, a figure that climbed to 85% during last year's riots in Gujarat. The Gujarat authorities even went so far as to price Muslim lives below those of Hindus, offering $2,050 in state compensation for Muslims killed but double that for the riots' 58 Hindu victims. "There is often a tendency in India to treat Muslims as them rather than us," says K.C. Tyagi, former leader of the moderate Hindu Samajwadi Party. "And this tendency does have terrible manifestations. Even today, by and large, Muslims have not been admitted to what we call the Indian mainstream." The portion of the population affected by this systemic discrimination is staggering: India's Muslim "minority" numbers 150 million people (vs. 850 million Hindus)—after Indonesia, the second-largest Islamic community in the world."

www.time.com/time/asia/covers/501030811/story.html

ANdy
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I say pull the US out, and let the Indians have our spot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top