Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 4:32:43 PM EDT
Our local paper had a front page article on the AWB last week.  They actually had a pro-expiration article with a few boobs commenting at the end and a few good comments at the end.  The main beef I had with it was a picture from a local gun shop with the owner holding a Yugo 59/66 with the caption that said this weapon was illegal for civilians to buy during the ban.  They also buried an article on page 6 with Kerry complaining that it's all Bush's fault.  Well, here is what I wrote.

You get cheers and jeers for your article on the sunset of the assault weapons ban.  The cheers go to Maj. John Gibson with the Whitfield County Sheriff's Office for seeing the impact of the expiration as being, “none whatsoever” and recognizing through his experience that this style of weapon is not the choice of criminals.  The ban was “feel good” legislation based on the cosmetic features of firearms.  The features that made a firearm banned or perfectly legal were in no way related to the functionality or lethality of the firearm.  The law was aimed at keeping a style of firearms out of the hands of law-abiding citizens based on appearance.  As Chris Crossen stated, criminals don’t buy this type of weapon in gun stores.  The jeers go to the caption on the front page.  The firearm pictured was not covered by the assault weapons ban because it does not have a detachable magazine.  Further jeers go to John Kerry on page 6 for blaming President Bush for failing to renew the ban.  Mr. Kerry only need look in the mirror for blame.  He voted for the original bill in 1994 that included the sunset provision.  He also voted recently to extend the ban by amending Senate bill S1805 but voted against the bill when it came up for final Senate approval.  It must be another case of, “I voted for the assault weapons ban before I voted against it.”

Woo hoo, I've been published!!!!!!!!!!!
jd1

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Great job, and I for one am surprised they actually published that.  Must have some conservatives on staff at that paper!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You even got in a Kerry flip-flop.  Sweet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, we are in the south, and semi-rural Georgia.  Actually their initial article was pretty good.

They even labeled the top of the letters page - Good Riddance to Phony Gun Ban.  They came up with that one on their own.

jd1
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Great rebuttle!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
We need more like you! Great Job!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Very well written.

A cold one on me!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice job!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top