Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 4:25:02 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a wireless phone.  I don't want to pay more than $39/mth (basic) for the service.

I've looked at several, AT&T, Cingular, Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile.  I want good reception and coverage.

I'm kind of leaning toward Cingular.

Thought I'd ask my buds on AR15.com if you guys have any suggestions, good news, bad news, etc.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Verizon is far ahead of the game on quality of signal and continuous (as opposed to "peppered") coverage.
Check Consumer Reports
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have Cingular. Great service!

P.S. It is a Cell Phone
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
it depends heavily on your area. WHo's best is a local question; I have cingular, but won't brag on them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have Cingular. Great service!

P.S. It is a Cell Phone

It is??!

What'll they think of next!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Just FYI: AT&T will be soon owned by Cingular and SBC.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Verizon, hands down. Especially if you travel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The cheapest plans that are common are $29 a month. Limited local minutes is typical at 300 to 500 a month. Cingular does have the rollover feature which lets you carry over your minutes. I haven't stated my research on pre-paied programs yet.

I've had a military issue cell phone with unlimited hours and end up with a couple hundred minutes a month. Most people women and kids have more hours then that.

<----2300 minutes last month.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Holy smoke, boy.  Don't you ever shut up?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy smoke, boy.  Don't you ever shut up?

(nah, I won't say it)

I have Verizon, and so far it's been WAY WAY better than Sprint.
For those of you in the East, I got EXCELLENT service from Wireless Zone (one of Verison's Authorized Distributors).  I don't think WZ has anything in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

P.S. It is a Cell Phone

+1

Welcome to 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]
yea i use my cell phone more then anything else because all my calling is long distance... free long distance and free two way "walkie talkey" thing.... still pay 200 a month though

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:03:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Verizon, They have a much better network than anybody else.

They lost my business after 8 years when they essentially told me out right they didn't care about my business.

I wanted to upgrade to digital, and they wouldn't do it.  I told them I would switch, they didn't care.   After I switched to AT&T, then they wanted to help me, but too late.

The AT&T coverage was FAR superior to Verizon at the time.

I still believe my AT&T GSM does better than friends Verizon service.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Now I don't feel so bad, I used 1800 last mth. And they say women never shut up!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to use Verizon and thought the reception was poor.

Then I switched to T-Mobile & it got even worse. Now I'm looking around for another.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I appreciate all the replies and information. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:35:32 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife and I have had AT&T Wireless since 1999, and recently switched to their GSM service...never had any problems getting a signal...great customer service, too!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Should probably ask people in your traveling area.  FWIW here in CT Verizon wins.  My job took over my phone so I don't pay it now, but previously it was 39/mo for like 500min peak, unlimited offpeak, and like another 2000 verizon minutes.

I think I went over like 3 times in 4 years, but I hate talking on the phone.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:45:45 AM EDT
[#22]
A better question...which provider has accurate billing?

It's a trick quesiton

It's none of them.  I receive bills from six different providers at work, and not a one of them is correct.  When talking about providers, I no longer even think about asking about coverage.  I just ask about billing.  For example, we just bought 10 Treo 600's from Verizon.  We paid $350 each (after discount for having our old phones for four years) for the phones plus about $75 per month for service.  The first bill was for over $7,350 with no overage fees.  Being able to send automated reminders to everyone is nice (e.g., "go pick-up deposit from Joe's Restaurant in 15 mins.") and it's nice to be able to put detailed instructions in memo's and update them from my desk, but it's certainly not worth that much.z
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm in Houston and travel for my job quite a bit.
Had Cingular for a couple years and had to go out on the street in fron of my house to use the phone from home

I've since switched over to Verizon and get a much better signal at my house as well as good signal most places I travel.  A lot depends on where you expect to use the phone the most - might want to ask neighbors and other locals since it's very frustrating to have one that you can't use at home or locally.

A lot depends on the phone itself, too.  LG makes a very good one for Verizon networks called the VX4400 or something close to that - good voice quality and better battery life compared to the newer Motorolas that I've used.  A lot of them have built in cameras now but I've never used one of them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Verizon is far ahead of the game on quality of signal and continuous (as opposed to "peppered") coverage.
Check Consumer Reports

+1    

Verizon is rated #1.  If you want a phone that will work everywhere Verizon is the way to go.

Edit to say: Stay far away from Sprint!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been with Alltel for over 10 years, I don't see them on your list though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#26]
On any service that has them, use a tri-mode phone.  Most of the phones now sold are only dual-mode, and thus digital only.  In the middle of nowhere USA, its nice to have a phone capable of using the old analog systems still in use there.  

I have Verizon, and I still notice my phone switching to analog mode (thus no digital available) in some areas of the US when I travel.  But, it still works and is still covered under Verizon's plan.  Verizon has the best coverage hands down.  Its no where near perfect, but the best.  I've had cingular(when it was Cell One) and nextel in the past.

I just wish the had international plans.  I hate going to other countries, where verizon is still the primary wireless provider, and not being able to just use my phone.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Just FYI: AT&T will be soon owned by Cingular and SBC.

Already is.  I work on the cell sites and as always it takes SBC awhile to put its name on somthing, but they let employes know who owns it right up front.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Amazon.com is running a few deals on new signups where some phones are free or you get money back on the rebate.

See the Spoofee.com deal for 9/20:
http://www.spoofee.com

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top