Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 3:03:42 PM EDT
damn. i hate when i fuck up.
my club lost it's flying field two years ago, leaving us with no place to fly since.
i got about a whole whopping half hour flying for all of last year, and no flying this year, till today.
i found a field near work and came in early to give it a shot. i got the ol' girl off the deck and scared the shit out of myself.
i used to be pretty good, but i seemed to have lost about 90% of my ability. i nearly plowed it in a couple of times, but i slowly got a bit better, though my hands were shaking like a leaf the whole time.
you usually have a good inner feeling about where you stand on fuel, but i blew it and ran out.
the problem was that i was too far away to hear that the engine died, only realizing it when the plane failed to respond when i needed it.
i treed the bitch.
i turned off my radio to activate my locater alarm and found it easily enough.
i don't see any damage, but it's a good 25' up and i can't get it till tomorrow.
a ladder, bow saw, and roof rake ought to do the trick.
bitch.

well, i know that there are other rc pilots on the board, and i know that every one of us has had his/her share of these "fun" times.  
just thought i'd post to let you have a chuckle at my expense.

glad that this was a cheap one. i only have about $400 sitting up in the tree with about 2 to 3 hours of audible alarm going off. i'm on the job till morning, so i hope no one hears the thing and gets it on me.

edit because i never catch the mistakes till after posting, and then still miss some.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You're not a Muslim by chance are you??

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You should have shot it out of the tree, works for squirrels that don't fall to the ground...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
no,  
[vincent vega] bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good [/vincent vega].

just a white guy that apparently now flies like he dances.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
My Dad and I do the Park Flyer thing. He doesn't get nearly as much stick time as I do (and sadly, I haven't had any in about 5-6 months ), so he's not so great. His R/C history is a little shaky at best anyway. He learned by wreaking 3 slimer foamies back in the early 80's. Anyway, while him and I were out at the park one day, his Lite Stick gets hit by some wind as he starts the first leg of the pattern. He overreacts and augers right into a tree. I felt kind of bad. He's done it a number of times before, but never this bad. Took a few trips home to get a ladder, and then the pool cleaning pole. The ladder came home in one piece, while the pool pole and the plane did not. He scared the crap out of a few kids that were watching when he showed the pole who was boss.

Worst I've done was plow into a basketball backboard. The Lite Stick needs to have extra dihedral added via the use of fishing line or fine thread. Dad though I'd added too much, so I took some out. Bad idea. Plus, I only had about 2 hours of time on the sticks, and I was flying at night at the park, next to the basketball court and volleyball court net, which are located in a sea of light poles. So I take off, and in she goes, right in front of about 5 guys playing ball, my little sister, and my best friend.

Good luck getting your plane out of the tree. Id have a heart attack if I lost my little $250 thing. I can't imagine losing a $400 plane!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
i long ago gave up on my trainer.  
for today, due to ground layout, i needed a plane that could get off the ground in ultra short distance, so i used my great planes dazzler. it's a good plane, but it has a fully symetrical wing with no dihedral and is very unforgiving of poor control inputs.  
i also  "used"  to love doing all kinds of wild moves, so i have pretty much overkill on my control surface throws. it was great when i used to fly, very little stick getting a boat load of responce, but now it's way too sensitive for me.  probably be a good idea to reprogram my setpoints.
i just need to get some stick time again, it'll all fall into place
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think Charlie Brown had the same problem with kites.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude. I'm a wanna-be pilot (not RC, sorry) and was just amazed at all the "mistakes" you made that could have ended your life.

I was VERY relieved when I realized that you're an RC guy. This is not intended to be derogatory, since I have several family members who are also. I even know a guy who learned RC and eventually decided to get his private pilot license, all after retiring from his job.

Good luck getting it down. Glad no one was hurt

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#10]
You SERIOUSLY need to edit the post title to say "R C airplane" because I also thought you Piper Cub was stuck up in some Oak Tree and you somehow walked away unsacthed!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#11]
title edit done.
millerSH0: go for it. the key is just being able to devote enough time to learn.
i tried for three summers to fly, with an instructor, but couldn't pick it up because i could only get to the field once a week or so. in '98 they sold my plant and layed us all off, i was at the field 3 or 4 days every week and it just clicked.
it didn't take much into the second year before the loops, snap rolls, immelmans, la chandells, hammerheads, avalanches, death spirals, upside down....you get the idea.
and there's nothing more satisfying than taking out what was a box of sticks, and getting it trimmed and flying for the maiden voyage.
it used to be a natural thing to fly wild, just doing it with much thought.
time has gone by, and now i suck like i'm new to it.  
it's alot tougher than it looks, those that learned can tell you, but once you get it, it's the cats' ass.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You're not a Muslim by chance are you??

Sgatr15

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top