Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 11:52:12 AM EDT
I recently bought a bunch on Dewey brushes, patches, pistol cleaning rod + mat, and lots of other small stuff.  Now, I want a nice compartmented storage box for all of it.  I want someting small but it has to be 16 inches wide.   I have been either thinking of a small tackle box or tool box.

Any good ideas?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Plano 747 hard plastic tackle box. It's huge! And full to capacity. Works well for my multi caliber needs. I don't know if they make it anymore though.

19.25" W x 10.5" D x 12" H.  Three pull out trays, divided into 29 various size compartments. And a very large bottom compartment.

I like it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a tackle box too.

G23c
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I suggest a small oil & solvent resistant tool box. The oils & solvents in the gun cleaning stuff will cause the plastic in the tackle box to get brittle and break or crack.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Very Portable: There are some nice little boxes "Truck tool boxes" from Sears/Craftsman that I like a lot.

Semi-Portable: I got a Black and Decker Workmate shop box that is awesome. Holds almost everything I have for cleaning (except duplicates, it will only hold so many CLP bottles!) including tools. Obviously any non-segmented cleaning rods won't fit. I think my mom got it for me for Christmas because she didn't know what to get me... little did she know how perfect it would be!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It's bigger than you specify, but I have a Case-Guard MTM that the GF got at a yard sale for $5, I don't think they're much more brand new at WallyWorld.

It's pretty trick. Has two large storeage compartments with sliding covers, 4 smaller compartments and two removeable rifle holders with a place to hold your cleaning rod also.

Best thing I've seen to collate my weapons cleaning supplies.

Other than that, tackle boxes work damn well also. I keep all my archery accessories in one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I use a Plano 747 hard plastic tackle box. It's huge! And full to capacity. Works well for my multi caliber needs. I don't know if they make it anymore though.

19.25" W x 10.5" D x 12" H.  Three pull out trays, divided into 29 various size compartments. And a very large bottom compartment.

I like it.

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Look in the fishing department of your local sporting goods store for the whitish, transparent plastic compartmented boxes.  They come in various sizes and are solvent resistant.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Using a plastic 'standard size' toolbox. Completely oil / filth resistant. About once a year I empty it and shoot it and it's internal tray with foaming engine degreaser and hose it out.
My local Home Depot stocks about 40 different boxers, you're sure to find one in the size you need.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the good suggestions
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, I'm cheap. Mine are in a holiday tin (had some kind of snacks in it) inside my range bag.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to use a very large polymer tool box and small stuff in small Plano boxes inside.  I reduced my gear and now use the Plano 758 except I replaced all the drawers with sliding boxes (two single depth and 1 double deep).  It holds pretty much everything except my 1 piece rods.  I like the sides as they will hold your rod and other tools while you are working.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#12]
50 Cal ammo box.  Cheap, airtight, and nearly indestructible.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
50 Cal ammo box.  Cheap, airtight, and nearly indestructible.

They make cool organizer trays that fit these, 3 different styles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:13:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I got a Plano 737 last night.  I couldn't be happier.  All sorts of  comaparments for eveything imagineable.  I got it for $29 at Wally World.  And I have lots of room for more stuff too.  A little on the big side but, oh well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top