Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 11:37:12 AM EDT
I sold an Upper and some Ammo on the Equipment Exchange Last night.  Went to my local ups store to get everything in line to ship as soon as I receive payment.  the JAck Offs up there told me I'd hae to drive toa Hub to ship the ammo, and that they would NOT SHIP THE GUN FOR ME.  After arguing to no avail, I went home and Called UPS.  I finally got these folks to understand that I was shipping gun parts and that an upper is not a gun. Could not be made to fire upon it's own..etc.... And that is how it was shipped to me when I originally purchased it.  The guy finally agreed that they Could indeed ship it to an individual.

I hope I don't have any problems when i do In Fact get ready to ship the upper.

What do I declare the package as when I get ready to ship it? Gun Parts? Barrel?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#1]
"metal tubing?"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
"metal tubing?"

Seriously, I don't want to lie about it. I believe it is PERFECTLY LEGAL TO SHIP UPPER RECEIVERS without going through a FFL.  The place I originally purchased it from shipped it directly to my door.  Someone correct me If I am wrong!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Label it as "Machine Parts."  That's what others here have suggested.  Whatever draws as little attention to the contents as possible...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]
ship upper as "machine parts"...

mark ammo orm-d... has to go ground...

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
My cousin in Kansas figured out the best answer to questions from UPS employees about the contents of a box:

"It's a birthday present."

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The package needs to be marked ORM-D - Small Arms Cartridges and should be sent UPS/FedEx ground with adult signature required.  I don't think a UPS Store will accept an ammo shipment though.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The package needs to be marked ORM-D - Small Arms Cartridges and should be sent UPS/FedEx ground with adult signature required.  I don't think a UPS Store will accept an ammo shipment though.  

I have shipped a case of 45 ammo back to Wolf at a UPS store. The key to all of this is prepaid shippers.

Log onto UPS, create an account, print your shipper, put on package and shove across the counter. Ammo has to have the ORM-D, that's all. I do all my USPS and UPS shipping online.l
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry for your troubles. I ship with FedEx, at their hub, and have had zero problems shipping gun related stuff.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have shipped a case of 45 ammo back to Wolf at a UPS store. The key to all of this is prepaid shippers.

Log onto UPS, create an account, print your shipper, put on package and shove across the counter. Ammo has to have the ORM-D, that's all. I do all my USPS and UPS shipping online.l

There are only two ORM-D markings that must be used. "ORM-D - Small Arms Cartridges" and ORM-D - Consumer Commodity."  ORM-D means nothing and is not acceptable under Federal shipping regulations.  The dummies at the UPS Store shouldn't accept the package that is marked that way.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

There are only two ORM-D markings that must be used. "ORM-D - Small Arms Cartridges" and ORM-D - Consumer Commodity."  ORM-D means nothing and is not acceptable under Federal shipping regulations.  The dummies at the UPS Store shouldn't accept the package that is marked that way.

ORM-D means Other Regulated Material - D.  It is a marking specified by the Department of Transportation in 49CFR.  The correct proper shipping name specified in the regulation is Cartridges Small Arms, not Small Arms Cartridges.  The regulation is very specific as to order.

The D in ORM-D doesn't mean anything in particular.  There used to be divisions A through E of the ORM hazard class in the DOT regulations.  When the US went to the international shipping standards, all the divisions were eliminated except ORM-D which can only be used in domestic transportation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Label it as "Machine Parts."

+1

Works for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Wolf sent me the shipper and the ORM-D stickers.  I would think they ship enough ammo to know which ones to use
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wolf sent me the shipper and the ORM-D stickers.  I would think they ship enough ammo to know which ones to use

Hey what do the Russians know about shipping regulations.    

ORM-D is the shipping classification.  It must be followed by the proper shipping name which in ths case is "Cartridges, Small Arms ."

§172.316 Packagings containing materials classed as ORM-D.

(a) Each non-bulk packaging containing a material classed as ORM-D must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material. The ORM designation must be placed within a rectangle that is approximately 6.3 mm (0.25 inches) larger on each side than the designation. The designation for ORM-D must be:

(1) ORM-D-AIR for an ORM-D that is prepared for air shipment and packaged in accordance with the provisions of §173.27 of this subchapter.

(2) ORM-D for an ORM-D other than as described in paragraph (a)(1) of this section.

(b) When the ORM-D marking including the proper shipping name can not be affixed on the package surface, it may be on an attached tag.

(c) The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering the packaging for transportation that the material is properly described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable regulations of this subchapter. This form of certification does not preclude the requirement for a certificate on a shipping paper when required by subpart C of this part.

[Amdt. 172-29, 41 FR 15996, Apr. 15, 1976, as amended by Amdt. 172-123, 55 FR 52592, Dec. 21, 1990; 56 FR 66254, Dec. 20, 1991]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:32:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ORM-D is my UPS hub requires as well. Oh well, just as well as I dont want to advertise that there is ammo in the box.

S.O.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top