Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 11:00:05 AM EDT
From the Beeb:

US President George Bush has lifted his country's trade embargo on Libya as a reward for Tripoli's decision to give up weapons of mass destruction.
Most of the sanctions were suspended in April, when Libya announced its decision.

The president has now formally revoked those which remained, dealing with general trade, aviation and importing Libyan oil.

Several terrorism-related sanctions remain in place.

The move is expected to trigger release of more than $1bn to the families of the victims of the Pan Am Flight 103 bombing over Lockerbie, in the United Kingdom.

Libya had threatened to cancel the compensation payment if the sanctions had not been lifted by Wednesday.

International concern

"This step is taken in response to actions that Libya has taken over the past nine months to address concerns by the international community about its weapons of mass destruction programs," US State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said, the AFP news agency reported.

It effectively scraps a trade embargo imposed in 1986 by then US President Ronald Reagan under the guise of a "national emergency" after a series of what Washington regarded as Libyan-sponsored terrorist actions.

A freeze on Libyan assets in the United States has also been lifted.

However, Mr Ereli said Libya remained on the US' list of state sponsors of terrorism, and was subject to relevant sanctions.

"I would also note that our diplomatic representation in Libya is that of a liaison office; we certainly don't have full diplomatic representation there," he said.

Story from BBC NEWS:
news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/3674538.stm

Published: 2004/09/20 18:46:52 GMT

© BBC MMIV

About damned time, if you ask me. Sanctions are for the weak. We've got to get into these countries with a strong American market of durable goods and professional services.

Now, let's work on Syria, Algeria and the rest.

I want to see Capitalism explode in these shit-holes!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#1]
So are we going to start importing Libyan oil?  That's the key here people!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm OK with that.

If you play ball, then you get the carrot. Fine by me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top