Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 7:58:45 AM EDT
Rats in the attic and rats under the house!

What should I do?

Shotgun?

Cat?

Traps so I can hear the little fuckers squeal??

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Cat?

SGatr15

Karma is sooooo sweet.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You are a very dirty man Sarge.  

Get the traps out and use peanut butter as bait.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Let me be the first, Tannerite, nukes from orbit, Plasma Phased array, yada-yada-yada......
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#4]
don't get a cat - you'll wind up torturing it before finally succumb to murder.  

but seriously, to lessen the damage to your house (especially up in the attic) get yourself a higher-end pellet rifle. now if collateral damage is not an issue, by all means go to town with the shotgun.
mp
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Jack Russell Terrier!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a cat.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get a cat.

+1

Meow.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Traps so I can hear them suffer?     Sell them to Texans as "maritial aides"

Both are about the same thing I think
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have mice a cat might help but contrary to popular opinion MOST cats are not very effective mousers. A mousing dog is better that a cat, some of the small terriers are very good mouse catchers. Get some traps.

If you have real rats you will have to root them out with force. If they are rats you had better act soon because they can do massive damage in a short period.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Rat poison + a BB gun. That poison really slows them down. Then it's time for target practice at 10-15 feet.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a cat. I had rat's a few years back. Got a cat, no more rat's. That fucker is on patrol 27/7.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Dress them up and use them in your skits, I can think of several here that they would be a good match for
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I just found the same problem at my house.  About a month ago, my phone started getting pretty bad static.  A couple weeks later, there was no dial tone.  I checked the test jack at the box and it was fine.  So, I thought I'd look around in the attic to see if anything was obvious.  The first thing I noticed was a rat/mouse terd on my AC ductwork.  Then I saw all the trails in the dust.  There were even tunnels through my spray-in insulation.  It looks like they've been having a great time up there.  I'm guessing they're responsible for my phone trouble, but haven't found a chewed wire yet.  I've been all over most of the attic and set traps, but haven't caught a dang thing.  I'm waiting until it gets cooler to rerun all my phone lines.

CR
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a tough cat.
The rats will move on.
If they don't, you have a bad cat.  Shit can the cat, get a new one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#15]
You mean to tell me that 'traps' are still legal in California?

Those dangerous things should have been outlawed years ago!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#16]
may i suggest a ferret or some other available weasel?  much more entertaining than cats!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Pellet gun with a NV scope. Wear cammo and Face paint.

Set up in the kitchen. A plate of PBJs in the center of the floor.

Lay on top of the counter, keeping a bead on the plate.

Wait...

Wait for it....

I had a dog who would POINT for mice. Nothing else. He was a mouse dog. I had the crossman pellet/bb multipump pistol. He would alert me. When those lil fuckers would peek around the stove...

POP!!  SQUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Thumpity thump thump.

Never to be seen again. Seven kills. It build your skill.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Jack Russell and a ferret. Block all exits, leaving only one way out. then put the ferret in to run 'em out the one bolt-hole you left open so the dog can kill them...great sport and both the dog and the ferret will love it!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#19]
It ain't about killing them, it's about keeping them out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cat?

SGatr15

Karma is sooooo sweet.  

+1 LMAO.

I strongly suggest you do NOT do what zro260n2wks suggested. Rat poison will kill them.....in every place they crawled to die. You will have such a horrendous stench for months.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Cat?

SGatr15

Oh the irony.

...being from Texas, I know some people, who know some people,
who would probably appreciate the marital aid idea though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#22]
My cat Harry was pretty good with the field mice until he got hit by a car.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I say use traps and set up a video camera with a motion detector.  that way you can post vids of all your kills.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cat?

SGatr15

Karma is sooooo sweet.  

+1 LMAO.

I strongly suggest you do NOT do what zro260n2wks suggested. Rat poison will kill them.....in every place they crawled to die. You will have such a horrendous stench for months.

I don't know how true this is.....but I heard that the poisons make them extremely thirsty.  They leave your house to find a water source and die sometime later.

Another thing to think about - I read that 1 pair (male/female) of mice can turn into around 100,000 mice within a year since they're only pregnant for a couple weeks and mature really quick (and they inbreed).

CR
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Capture and train them to act.  You won't need your dolls anymore.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Capture and train them to act.  You won't need your dolls anymore.

Bwahaha!

He will have to make new outfits for them to wear!

Are the rats different colors?
If not how are we gonna know when "Cracka' Down!" happens?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If not how are we gonna know when "Cracka' Down!" happens?

And which one will play TRG?

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Send them to Texas!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#30]
TRAP them so they wont stink up the place! Then you can set them on fire
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Catch them with pie.  Rats LOVE pie!!  Watch out little rodents, it's a TRAP!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Exactly - killing them might simply clear room for new ones to come in.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I raised enough rats so let me give it a shot ,rat traps and poisons don't work to well .A rat can't throw up so it will take a little bite of something new if it gets sick from it ,it wont eat it anymore.A trap dont work to well on a rat they are smarter then you think.get a couple of live rat traps and put them against walls after you catch one in it dispatch the rat then clean the trap so the scent of the rat aint in it .The scent will keep others away from the trap.pinsol will kill rats mice and hamsters so will pine bedding, the pinsol can be poured into a bowel for them to drink but like the earlier post said the dead rats will smell.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly - killing them might simply clear room for new ones to come in.

If we could only apply that to some human "rats" then we'd really have something going for us in this country.  

(hint - increase the Border Patrol funding)

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
may i suggest a ferret or some other available weasel?  much more entertaining than cats!

Oddly enough Ferrets are illegal in California...don't ask.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#36]
My Beagle has been giving something heck out by my scrap copper pile.

My wife gets out there with the waterhose, and the kids, and flushes 'something out of one pile to another.

Well the kids come get me and say "Mom needs you at the pile!"

I get my son to retrieve the flashlight and head out to the pile.

I get up on top of the pile, my beagle barking at one end and the fam at the other end, and the rat come running out right at the fam!

I retrieved my Ruger MarkII .22 and my Ultra Stinger but could not get a clear shot.

Well I will have some more work to do in the next few days getting these things taken care of!

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top