Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 7:46:31 AM EDT
Video:
www.klas-tv.com/global/video/popup/pop_index.asp?ClipID1=255513&h1=NLV%20Police%20Offer%20Gun%20Turn-In%20Program&vt1=v&at1=News%20-%20Special%20Coverage&d1=99000&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&playerVersion=9&rnd=69747335

Article:
(Sept. 16) -- North Las Vegas Police just got the thumbs up for a new program aimed at getting guns off the street. The concept is turn in a gun and you'll get a reward as good as cash. But will it work?

Rosie England and her 12-year-old daughter live in one of the roughest neighborhoods in North Las Vegas. "It's bad. Kids can't even go outside and play."

Three days ago, a 20-year-old man was shot and killed there and a stray bullet hit a young woman in the hand. This is just another example of a gun being in the wrong hands.

Tim Bedwell, with NLV police, said, "We don't know if the gun turn-in will work or the affect it will have, but logically it sounds like it will. And if we can save a life we might as well do it."

The North Las Vegas Police Department is going to start paying people who turn in guns. You'll receive $100 for a rifle, $50 for a handgun, and $25 for a BB-gun. The reward won't be cash though. You'll get gift certificates to stores like Walmart.

Anyone who wants to turn in a gun should go to the North Las Vegas Police Department with no questions asked. You don't even have to identify yourself.

Joe Simmons lives in North Las Vegas, "I don't think it will work because you have to get the people to actually bring the gun in and just with their state of mind, they're not going to do that."

Police know criminals will likely not turn in guns. Instead they hope to get them out of homes where they're not being used.

"My daughter, I know she can have an angry temper when she leaves school from peer-pressure and if I have a gun she could easily get it and hurt somebody," Rosie England said.

Two local teens have died in accidental shootings this year. And police feel that if at least one person can be saved by this program it will be well worth it.

The City Council came up with the money for the program. The gun turn-in will be held December 4.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

"My daughter, I know she can have an angry temper when she leaves school from peer-pressure and if I have a gun she could easily get it and hurt somebody," Rosie England said.

Two local teens have died in accidental shootings this year. And police feel that if at least one person

That says it all right there. No personal responsibility on the sheeples part. Lock the fucking gun up if she can "easily" get to it!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a few broken down cheap bb guns and an old broken Coast-to-coast .22.

I think I have about $10.00 invested in those.  I'll bet I can get a flash suppressor and a tele-stock with the money I could make there!    
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#3]
They are just giving gift certificates. Not actual money. And I bet that none of the gift certificates are from gun shops
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Damn stupid people...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They are just giving gift certificates. Not actual money. And I bet that none of the gift certificates are from gun shops

crap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top