Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/20/2004 5:33:49 AM EDT
I've hooked up with an ex-high school sweetheart.  We're both almost 40.  She's been divorced for about 5 years, me a little over one year.  I've always really liked this woman and we get along great.  I would assume some think I'm on the rebound.  Well, maybe I am  a little, however, I've dated enough women since my divorce to know that I really care about this particular woman.

I'm a catholic..........not a "hardcore" catholic, but I go to church every week, take my daughters with me every other weekend when it's my weekend with them, consider myself a good person, believe in God, believe in doing (or trying) to do the right things in life, etc.  But in all honesty, I don't know all that much about religion.  I have room for improvement on this, I know. I am, however, comfortable being a catholic.

I spent the weekend with my girlfriend this past weekend.  We went to her church.  She's  a protestant and she's what I would consider a fairly "hardcore" christian.  Her friends ask if I"m a "believer".  Girlfriend wants to have a very serious discussion about the religious topic.  In all honesty, I don't know enough about religion to have an intelligent conversation with her.  

This whole thing is scaring the crap out of me.    I wish I had the answer.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:37:20 AM EDT
[#1]
She's going to try to "convert" you, make you born again, you Papist (lol, I'm Catholic too).
Lots of Protestants don't consider Catholics Christians, I've run into lots ike that in the Service.

Good luck, it sounds like you are really into her.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
She's going to try to "convert" you, make you born again, you Papist (lol, I'm Catholic too).
Lots of Protestants don't consider Catholics Christians, I've run into lots ike that in the Service.

I'm a Protestant. I am born again. I believe it is possible to be Catholic and be saved.

But I have my preferences, however.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, this woman is a great person.  She has class, I respect her, but I'm just afraid Religion is going to keep us apart.  I just don't know if I have the same drive that she has when it comes to religion.  I know this woman.......kinda.  I mean, I dated her a few times in high school 20 years ago, but she wasn't "my type" since at that time, I was only interested in one thing.  

She's what would be good for me, but I do feel in the end she will try to "convert" me.  I don't see anything wrong with having more of God in my life, but, I'm comfortable with who I am and being a Catholic.  I'm a very conservative person and having a minister stand up and preach vs. having a Catholic priest give the sermons, well..........I'm just comfortable being a Catholic.  

I wish I knew what to tell her.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:43:20 AM EDT
[#4]
My lack of faith has been the breaking point of more than one relationship that looked good.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:45:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Really, Protestants don't consider Catholics Christians? why's that?  I'm curious on what they base that on?

Not starting a war or anything, just never heard of that before.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I need to go get something done.  I guess that's the problem of only having to work 2 hours a day to make a living and having a job that a monkey could do (well, most of the time unless the weather is crap.........freight pilot).......just have too much time on my hands.  Guess it's a good thing in a way that she lives in Philadelphia and I live in Michigan.  I can jump seat out to Philly and see her every other weekend, which is ok for now, but I'm afraid she's gonna pin me down someday and press me on the religion thing.  Her friends worry me, since they all ask, "well, is Steve a believer?"   What's up with all of that??????

Anyway, sorry, I just needed to vent.  Guess I'll go outside and mow the yard or something.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really, Protestants don't consider Catholics Christians? why's that?  I'm curious on what they base that on?

IT’S A RELIGIOUS THREAD TRAP!!!

Here we go again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
She's what would be good for me, but I do feel in the end she will try to "convert" me.

You got that right.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Run Forrest RUN!

Unfortunately, that's how I'm starting to feel.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Dang, and I was really starting to feel good being with a woman again.   In a way, I kinda feel like I felt during my divorce.......just kinda lost and empty.  Oh well.  Better get out and mow.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:52:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, I need to go get something done.  I guess that's the problem of only having to work 2 hours a day to make a living and having a job that a monkey could do (well, most of the time unless the weather is crap.........freight pilot).......just have too much time on my hands.  Guess it's a good thing in a way that she lives in Philadelphia and I live in Michigan.  I can jump seat out to Philly and see her every other weekend, which is ok for now, but I'm afraid she's gonna pin me down someday and press me on the religion thing.  Her friends worry me, since they all ask, "well, is Steve a believer?"   What's up with all of that??????

Anyway, sorry, I just needed to vent.  Guess I'll go outside and mow the yard or something.  

vmax84

Your answer should be a simple yes.  

Yes you believe in a jewish guy named Jesus Christ.
Yes you believe that he is the only begotten of God.
Yes you believe that he took upon himself the world's sins.
Yes you believe that he rose from the dead in 3 days.

So if they have any other words for you or your beliefs, a simple STFU is in order.  If your lady friend doesn't stand up for you, as HR said, Run Forest Run.

btw, if you think their hard core christians, you haven't been to Salt Lake City.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#13]
1st, never date outside your religioun.

Second, if she is so hard core Christian then why did she get the divorce in the first place?  A prior divorce in an indication of future marriage performance.

Screw the talk about religion unless you plan to marry her.  Otherwise you two are just dating at this moment.  If you do talk about religion then it can be assumed that marriage is the goal.  Which means one of you better convert or the relationship is doomed.

Quite frankly, I think the relationship is already doomed.  She is pushing her religion on you it appears to me.

Good luck, but I would walk away.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:00:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My lack of faith has been the breaking point of more than one relationship that looked good.  

+1 on that
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
 A prior divorce in an indication of future marriage performance.

I'll vouch for that.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a Protestant. I am born again. I believe it is possible to be Catholic and be saved.

But I have my preferences, however.

Thanks I didn't mean for that in any way to sound disparaging towards born agains or Protestants, btw. I have friends and family who are both.

But I have had many interesting conversations with Protestants and born again Christians in which Catholicism was apparently held in scorn by them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I were both Protestant when we were married over 8 years ago...since that time, I have become an atheist and she has become Wiccan/Pagan...we get along just fine...
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My wife and I were both Protestant when we were married over 8 years ago...since that time, I have become an atheist and she has become Wiccan/Pagan...we get along just fine...

Parties at your house must be a blast.  Sort of like a frat party.

just kidding.

btw, has no one have the ability to explain why Protestants believe that Catholic's are not Christians?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#21]
It sounds like you will get to learn a lot about Christianity.

Some questions you will be asked…
So are you washed in the blood or the lamb?
Are you slain in the spirit?
Are you a bride maid of Jesus?
Is it true Catholics worship the Virgin Marry?
So they pray to Saints?

Everyone will be praying for you that you will turn from your sinful Catholic ways and come to know the true Jesus.  

Yes.  Fun times for you my friend.

You might want to pick up a copy of the book “Left Behind”www.leftbehind.com/
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:14:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So they pray to Saints?

Everyone will be praying for you that you will turn from your sinful Catholic ways and come to know the true Jesus.  

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So they pray to Saints?

HUH?

I thought Christians are tied by a single thread, Jesus Christ.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:17:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

So they pray to Saints?

+1
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
HUH?

I thought Christians are tied by a single thread, Jesus Christ.  Am I missing something?

You forgot that us Catholics follow the evil Pope and killed people during the middle ages.

Ohh...and we have nice churches with demonic statues which we pray to.

Sgtar15

PS  Send virgins...lots of virgins...sacrific et al.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#26]
How to Handle "Saved" Folks: A Primer

1) if asked "Have you found Jesus?" you reply (choose one)

"I didn't know he was lost?"  or

"Last time I saw him, he was playing down by the river with his cousin John...you might try there."
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they pray to Saints?

HUH?

You are missing everything.  In rule based faiths, like Christianity, the slightest deviation from perceived rules places you into the heathen category.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:19:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It's a pretty accurate statement. "Catholic" is not "Christian" in my book, just as "Christian" is not "Catholic."

The two are different. Again, I still believe it is possible to be "Catholic" and be "saved."
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1st, never date outside your religioun.

Bullshiite!

Why wouldn't you?

Just don't talk about religion. Or sports. Or politics.

Or anything else that you have such strong views on that it could cloud your relationship!

Sooner or later these issues become important....at least if you want a long term relationship that is.

Second, if she is so hard core Christian then why did she get the divorce in the first place?

So, if the young lady's husband cheated on her, you would suggest that it is her fault, and that she should never get divorced from that horn-dog?

Keep you're day job. You will never make it as a marriage counselor!

As a counselor the LAST option would be divorce, not the first as you suggest.

A prior divorce in an indication of future marriage performance.

It could be, and it could just as easily not be.

Folks are different. Facts are different. Why limit anyone?

Facts are facts.  Most divorced people have multiple marrioages.  You shouldn't have to go far for conformation of that fact.

Screw the talk about religion unless you plan to marry her.  Otherwise you two are just dating at this moment.  If you do talk about religion then it can be assumed that marriage is the goal.  Which means one of you better convert or the relationship is doomed.

Once again, nonsense!

I know of many, many successful 'mixed' marriages!

Which religion where there kids raised as?  How many problems did this cause?

Quite frankly, I think the relationship is already doomed.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I'm dating a lovely 26 year old Latina at present, who is devoutly Roman Catholic!

Heh-heh-heh, we seldom discuss religious matters at all!

Religious matters often get in the way of having a good time with a pretty young lady....

Sgtar1`5

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It's a pretty accurate statement. "Catholic" is not "Christian" in my book, just as "Christian" is not "Catholic."

The two are different. Again, I still believe it is possible to be "Catholic" and be "saved."

Ok, if I would follow that thought, would Protestant not be considered Christians?

My question comes from how can anyone claim someone else is not Christians if  that someone believe in Jesus Christ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:29:03 AM EDT
[#32]
A very good Marine friend of mine (another Protestant) married a Mormon girl two years ago. Both individuals are quality young people with good heads on their shoulders. They are now divorced.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You are missing everything.  In rule based faiths, like Christianity, the slightest deviation from perceived rules places you into the heathen category.

I see your point.  Is there a church out there that believe the opposite?  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

You better hope we are Christians since the Protestant religion came from the Catholic Religion!!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:30:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:32:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I still believe it is possible to be "Catholic" and be "saved."

As a Catholic I feel I don't need any saving, except what I put in the bank.

The whole "saved" thing strikes me as odd in the first place. You either belive in God, or you don't.

am I wrong?  

Teachings in the Roman Catholic Church tell you that it is wrong to marry outside of your faith. I think Sarge and I will agree on this.

My advice for this guy is to beat cheeks and get the hell out of the mess he got himself into
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Ahhh.  "Are you saved?".

If you believe this say, "Yes".  And by the way, Catholics believe this.

From www.catholicapologetics.org/ap020600.htm

The Catholic Christian answers this question in three stages or levels corresponding to the three meanings the words "saved" and "salvation" have in the Bible. (These meanings are found in the previous section, "Salvation: A Biblical Portrait." )

Catholic Christians can respond that they have been saved. This acknowledges the first meaning of "saved" and "salvation" in scripture--Jesus Christ, Savior, by whose act of salvation we are objectively saved--He died, rose from the dead, saved them from sin.

2 Cor 5:17
So whoever is in Christ is a new creation

Catholic Christians can also respond that they are being saved. This acknowledges the second meaning "saved" and "salvation" have in scripture--the present experience, God's power delivering constantly from the bondage of sin.

1 Cor 15:2
Through it (the gospel) you are also being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

Catholic Christians also respond that they will be saved, that they have hope and confidence that God will give them the grace of perseverance; that they will respond to it; and accept his gift of salvation until their death. This acknowledges the third meaning the words "saved" and "salvation" have in scripture--the future deliverance of believers at the Second Coming of Christ.

Rom 5:9
How much more then, since we are now justified by his blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath.

The real issue will come if or when they start to use the following lines:

"Why do you pray to Mary/Saints?"

"The Bible is the sole authority."

"You shouldn't have to confess your sins to another man."

"Jesus isn't present in body during Communion."

"Catholics don't believe in/read/use the correct/follow/ the Bible."

"Catholics will go to hell because they only believe in salvation through good works."

"The Pope is <insert negative comment here>."

They'll most likely misuse the term, "Immaculate Conception".

All of these are wrong or invalid.  Start studying if you want to debate.  If she is so bigoted that she can't see you and love you as a fellow Christian - dump her.

I don't say these things lightly.  My wife was raised Southern Baptist and went to a "Footloose" kind of Christian school.  She converted to Catholicism 5 years ago after we'd been together for 10 years and she's twice the Catholic I am.  She never tried to convert me, I never tried to convert her.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Ok, if I would follow that thought, would Protestant not be considered Christians?

My question comes from how can anyone claim someone else is not Christians if  that someone believe in Jesus Christ?

Well, it's a sticky issue, a gray area for sure. I don't have the time to get into a full-blown debate about it right now, as it would require some thorough research, but I've always recognized the Catholic Faith as being it's own entity, it's own religion. Whereas Protestants, Baptists, etc, are "denominations" of the Christian Faith.

In other words, one is its own corporation and the others are subsidiaries of a larger corporation.

Hope that helps some.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#39]
i am just saying all this crap is out their and it is coming to your door.
straight to your door.

hang tight and build up a thick skin.  if you love the woman and you love Jesus you can handle the religious ninnies
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Teachings in the Roman Catholic Church tell you that it is wrong to marry outside of your faith. I think Sarge and I will agree on this.

Not to sure about that.  I know it is HIGHLY suggested that  the other person convert if they want a Catholic wedding...

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
i am just saying all this crap is out their and it is coming to your door.
straight to your door.

hang tight and build up a thick skin.  if you love the woman and you love Jesus you can handle the religious ninnies

What about when the wife is the reliogious ninny??

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
How to Handle "Saved" Folks: A Primer

1) if asked "Have you found Jesus?" you reply (choose one)

"I didn't know he was lost?"  or

"Last time I saw him, he was playing down by the river with his cousin John...you might try there."

yea but have you seen my old friend Martin?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to sure about that.  I know it is HIGHLY suggested that  the other person convert if they want a Catholic wedding...

Sgtar15

If they convert,  they will no longer outside of the Catholic Church.............Then they being a Catholic it would be ok
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, it's a sticky issue, a gray area for sure. I don't have the time to get into a full-blown debate about it right now, as it would require some thorough research, but I've always recognized the Catholic Faith as being it's own entity, it's own religion. Whereas Protestants, Baptists, etc, are "denominations" of the Christian Faith.

In other words, one is its own corporation and the others are subsidiaries of a larger corporation.

Hope that helps some.

It doesn't really help. Do you consider Greek Orthodox, Episcopal/Anglican, Lutheran and Methodist to be Christians?  There are remarkable similarities with Roman Catholicism.  Why do you exclude Roman Catholicism from the Christian Community?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sgtar15

It is more of a suggestion than a rule.  Catholics can marry non-Catholics but the children need to be raised Catholic.  I know several people in this situation and of the ones I know of it has worked out well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Strange, I've had many interesting conversations with my fellow Protestants and I hold some of their views in scorn, as well.

No one is going to be completely pleased with another man's religious views.

Eric The(FundamentallyChristian)Hun

Yeah, that's true. I was surprised by the earnest nature of some fo the attacks upon my faith, as no one I had met in the church was that bad....and Old Monsignor Cox was a good old priest in the old Irish Catholic way. How could he be  tool of the devil?

My own beliefs are more in line with most Protestants anyway-I have a real problem with the "corporation" the church is, and the handling of scandals hasn't boosted my confidence any. But....

and now back to V-max's thread.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
It doesn't really help. Do you consider Greek Orthodox, Episcopal/Anglican, Lutheran and Methodist to be Christians?  There are remarkable similarities with Roman Catholicism.  Why do you exclude Roman Catholicism from the Christian Community?

Having been raised protestant but attended a Catholic University, took classes on the Catholic religion, and dated Catholics for 7 years I have some insight on this.

There are protestants that know nothing about the Catholic religion other than what they heard from a friend of friend.  Yet they go out and repeate it like it were true.  These people are speaking out of their asses and are the one's that you will find telling Catholics they are going to hell for being Catholic.  They have no knowledge of the Church, no understanding of what goes on in a Catholic church, but condemns everyone anyway.

On the otherhand, the Catholic church has gone through so many changes in the last 100 years that there are so many different views out there and each Catholic has it owns.  Up to a point the Catholic church had in it's view that it was the only true religion and that everyone else was going to hell if they weren't Catholic.  So I would bet if look back in history you will see the Protestants and the Catholics fighting about which religion was "right".  That fight can still be seen today on BOTH sides by some more of the radical members.

What needs to happen for both the author of the thread and the Protestants vs the Catholics is for both sides to sit down and understand each other.  Having a "talk" about religion or asking someone if they are a "believer" will not resolve the issue.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Catholic bashing... the last acceptable form of discrimination...

Sad but true.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Catholic bashing... the last acceptable form of discrimination...

Yep.
Q(Mackerel-SnappingPapist)S
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top